Logic "out of memory" error

JT3_Jon

Hello,

On a recent project I tried to add a kontakt and got an "out of memory" error. I thought this was odd, as I have kontakt setup to load its samples into its own server outside of Logic, so it shouldn't use much RAM at all!

So as a test I started a new logic file and loaded as many kontakt samples as I could, and to my surprise after loading only 1.6GB of samples (remember, this is in Kontakts memory manager, NOT in logic) Logic gave me the "out of memory" error and crashed.

Attached is a picture of my activity monitor.

Any ideas?

LogicOutOfMemory.thumb.png.e64307908204d51ca43553b862aa6654.png

LogicOutOfMemory.thumb.png.9e64d69b7c54ea7f3c990a9d5e15969b.png

Edited by JT3_Jon

To add to the weirdness, I decided to try hosting all my samples OUTSIDE logic using VE pro, and I STILL got the memory error, even with Logic only at 285MB of real memory used!!!

Any ideas? Anyone else willing to run tests with pictures?

LogicOutOfMemoryVEPRO.jpg.b99e9ceb94789818ff27d86c3225ceee.jpg

Nope. All legit.

I guess that means you're not having this problem with Kontakt & Logic? How much are you able to load in 32-bit logic?

p.s. I find it a little irritating how when things dont work as they are suppose to, one is automatically accused of pirating software.

yeah, it is! But I thought that was the point of the kontakt memory server, is that it loads its samples into ram OUTSIDE of logic.

I've been able to get it as high as 5GB outside of logic, but for whatever reason logic then says "out of memory." Thats the part that concerns me, the fact that logic is running out of memory when its not hosting the samples in RAM, as seen in both the Kontakt memory server number, and more frightening the VE pro number!!

Unfortunately I only have Kontakt 3.5, which is 32-bit, thus the reason why I'm using the 32-bit VE pro. But still, doesn't the memory server mean it has its own 4GB limit outside of 32-bit Logics 4GB limit? Doesn't VE pro also have ITS own 4GB of RAM outside of logic?

If anyone is willing to show me some pictures of how much they can load with Kontakt it would be GREATLY appreciated.

The reason people tend to think that when is something really wrong, its to do with pirate version, simply because they're full of holes and proved to be falling to pieces. Obviously if you're legit, as you mentioned, then something is wrong with your settings/system. But if you google KONTAKT+LOGIC you'll get hell of a threads where people complaining on Kontakt, "eating out" everything that's possible.

Yeah, in this day I guess everyone is guilty until proven innocent. :(

Anyway, perhaps this is all due to a misunderstanding of how the memory server or VE pro work? Maybe they simply dont process RAM outside of Logic and therefore I'm hitting the 4GB limit for 32-bit?

I really would LOVE it if SOMEONE with kontakt can verify this behavior? I think I'll create a new file today using nothing but the factory instruments in kontakt and see how much it loads, then upload the file for people to download and try. I'll post back when thats available. It may take a while to create. :-)

Well, I just tried loading a bunch of instruments in Omnisphere (which also has its own memory server in the "system" tab) and was only able to load 1.24GB in spectrasonics memory server (logic shows 1.79GB)

This is all in a new logic session and I restarted my computer to make sure everything was purged from RAM before starting.

Any ideas? This can be normal!!

Here are links to my logic files; one using K3, one using VE-pro & K3, and one using omnisphere.

http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/jon/MemTestK3factory.zip

http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/jon/MemTestK3factoryVEpro.zip

http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/jon/MemTestOmni.zip

If you download these, they should open in your logic (they open in mine) its just I cannot add any other RAM heavy instruments. So try loading more instruments to these and see if you hit the same memory error that I hit.

THANKS!