"MIDI Timeout" pop up stops logic [SOLVED]

Luke Mandala

Hi,

I got this pop up window (text below). I tried restarting my computer but it's still doing it.. please help. All I am using is a mac with the signal going out to an audio card, no other external units.

"Midi Timeout"

Logic Pro has detected a MIDI timeout. Please restart your computer, then relaunch Logic Pro.

If the problem persists, update the drivers of all connected MIDI devices (including audio drivers with MIDI functionality) to the latest version. For instructions on removing older drivers, consult the manufacturers' documentation.

Warm Regards,

Luke

Any time I've experienced this problem, I've only had to reset the MIDI driver (Prefs > MIDI) and things went back to normal. So the error message is reporting a problem, but the instructions are bogus (again, in my experience).

Why you're experiencing this is a whole other matter which I can't shed any light on. But it might be worth checking your Audio MIDI Setup to see if there's anything about the MIDI portion of it that needs to be changed/removed. Also, while you're in there, make sure there are no IAC busses active (that is, unless you're using one).

OK, that's a sign of song corruption.

Describe the circumstances under which the Deep Architecture message occurs. Playback in general? When the playhead reaches a particular measure? When you're recording? Please be as detailed as possible.

Hey, I'm having the exact same issue. I updated to Mac OS 10.6.8 yesterday and then it started happening. I'm using an Axiom 25 and an MBox 2 Pro. I checked their websites and they don't find any driver updates yet.

So the session opens fine,then when I press play the MIDI Timeout alert pops up and is immediately followed by the Deep Architecture issue. It seems to only happen with this one session I've been working on. But unfortunately that's the session I'm really need to get working. I'm not familiar with either of these pop ups. I tried what you mentioned in previous posts. No luck so far. Any other suggestions? How do you solve a Deep Architecture problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The fact that two of you are experiencing both messages leads me to believe that there might be a common factor here. Luke, what version of the OS are you running?

I'm familiar with a lot of scenarios concerning "Deep Architecture" and how to fix the situation. But this is a new one on me, getting both messages at once.

Let me ask both of you some basic questions about your projects:

• is your start marker set to before bar 1 1 1 1?

• are you trying to record new parts from 1 1 1 1?

JWRyan, any chance you cloned your HD before you updated to 10.6.8?

@Ski - I am running OSX 10.6.7

I am pretty sure my start maker is before 1 1 1 1

I am not trying to record any new parts. I write in midi notes and am using samples.

@Ski - I am not that familiar with the stuff in the Audio/Midi set up so I don't know if there is anything that "needs to be changed/removed". I have never been in there before.

Thanks

Having your start market before 1 1 1 1 is an almost sure way to corrupt a song (not due to any fault of your own, it's a bug in Logic). And song corruption can sometimes manifest itself as "deep architecture" errors.

As far as not knowing how to use AMS, there's not much to understand. Open it up and have a look around.

Yes, you drag the start marker forward and back to 1 1 1 1. However, you won't be able to do this if...

1) you have regions in (or extending) into the area before bar 1 1 1 1

2) you have any track-based automation written in your track

All of these things can be fixed, but it ain't easy.

you won't be able to do this if...

1) you have regions in (or extending) into the area before bar 1 1 1 1

2) you have any track-based automation written in your track

All of these things can be fixed, but it ain't easy.

It's actually quite easy!

1) Place your locators between the project start marker and 1 1 1 1.

2) Choose Edit > Cut/Insert Time > Insert Silence Between Locators.

3) Drag project start marker to 1 1 1 1.

:D

David,

If you don't have automation in your track then yes, you can use your method. But in my post above I listed two items, the key one being automation data. If you have even one track that has track-based automation, your method won't work. :(

I could bore you with the details as to why this is the case, but I don't feel like boring you atm. Maybe one day, if you're bored, let me know and I'll explain why.

If you don't have automation in your track then yes, you can use your method. But in my post above I listed two items, the key one being automation data. If you have even one track that has track-based automation, your method won't work. :(

I have tons of automation on every single track - I even have automation data located before 1 1 1 1 and it works fine here, in 9.1.4. I used the same method earlier today on my laptop which runs 9.1.0, in another session that has all sort of automation and regions before 1 1 1 1 and it worked fine too.

So it does not work in 9.0.2?

Definitely doesn't work on 9.0.2 or prior versions.

Let me ask you... even though you're able to move the start point to bar 1 after using your method, are you left with automation data before bar 1?

FWIW, I recently helped a guy through this problem who had a 160-track session using 9.1.3. The very first thing we tried (though I had a feeling it wouldn't work) was to use the method you described. Nope, didn't work. I tried it on his system and my system, meaning that on both PPC 9.0.2 and Intel 9.1.3 it wouldn't work. So we ended up using my usual method of doing surgery on the automation tracks in the Automation Arrange page to get rid of all pre-bar 1 stuff, or, move it up (if it contains needed automation and not just a starting node).

It's never fun.

I'm familiar with a lot of scenarios concerning "Deep Architecture" and how to fix the situation. But this is a new one on me, getting both messages at once.

FWIW, I've seen one other case where someone was getting both messages (MIDI Timeout and Deep Architecture). And guess what? The user had "pre-bar 1 stuff". Again, fixed after moving his stuff past bar 1.

Here's the thread, but it's in spanish :oops:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=362102&sid=dfe3c4501da0e32e63258820a9dda9a6

J.

Let me ask you... even though you're able to move the start point to bar 1 after using your method, are you left with automation data before bar 1?

No - not if the cycle area is placed perfectly from the start marker to the end marker. Sometimes I have to zoom in to check - if there's a gap, however small, between the start marker and the cycle area, then you're left with automation nodes before 1 1 1 1.

Now when I insert the silence, all my automation gets pushed to start exactly on 1 1 1 1, but for each track a new node is created at the beginning of the project which is still... let's say 0 1 1 1 for example. However when I drag the start marker to 1 1 1 1, those first nodes come along with the start marker until they end up exactly on 1 1 1 1, so there's no automation left before 1 1 1 1.

Interesting, David. I'll just tried this a few times here. Once I got it to work just as you described. The second and third times I ended up with automation data in the negative bar area even though the start marker was moved to 1 1 1 1. Will investigate further later.

Interesting, David. I'll just tried this a few times here. Once I got it to work just as you described. The second and third times I ended up with automation data in the negative bar area even though the start marker was moved to 1 1 1 1. Will investigate further later.

Thanks for trying it out! If you check the position of the start marker, make sure it matches the left locator, make sure your right locator is on 1 1 1 1 before inserting silence, like on my pictures (it's easy to do when the start marker is on a downbeat such as 0 1 1 1), then it should work consistently.

As I said, the only times I've had automation nodes left on the beginning of the tune is when the start marker is on some weird position, and it's hard to visually line up with your left locator. Or when using "Snip" instead of "Insert Silence". But move the start marker to a downbeat, check its position, check your cycle, insert silence etc... and it should work consistently.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I had this problem of midi timeout and deep architecture just now ......I was trying to touch automate the tape delays wet slider in one audio track and after this this error kept coming. Restrated logic , duplicated the track which has automation moved the contents from original track to duplicate track ...deleted the original track which had the corrupted data when it asks for delete data( I only had very little automation on that track so it was fine for me ). It works fine now my logic is 9.0.2 and on os version 10.5.8. Hope this will help too.

thanks,

Maruthi