Ethernet network drive "Result code -61 Fade update failed"

dunnery

I have just installed disc station DS411J. I have 2 x 2 terabyte drives and 2 x 1 terabyte drives. I have done all the installation and the verification and it all checks out ok. I can copy files to the DS411J and it seems to be running at a decent speed. I am running max os10.7.2 Lion and I have an up to date copy of Logic Pro that is fully compatible with Mac OS 10.7.2. I am connected via a gig ethernet cable.

I can play my songs from Logic successfully from my USB drive but when i copy the songs to the DS411J and press play, the first thing that happens is that i get an error message that says 'read write permission doesn't allow writing

Result code = -61'

followed by 'Fade update failed'.

Result code = -61'

I really don't know how to trouble shoot this or where the permissions are for the fade files. (I have fades on the end of my audio files)

it seems to work ok after these error messages but all my 'fades' for my songs don't play. I can see them with my eyes but they are not audible. it seems that my fade files are not being copied. i can see them but i cannot hear them. has anyone had this issue before?

any help on this would be massively appreciated, I have only had this unit 2 days and i cannot use it for what I need it for

thank you

Hi david and thank you for your reply. I have been trouble shooting this with a tech guy for the past few days and we cannot get past the fade files error. I have done what you said about the permissions on the parent folders, infact this was the first thing we did. There is definitely a problem on the logic side with this issue because we are not the only people to be encountering it.

The song plays back beautifully and we are getting around 70 mBs per second and the playback is smooth. The fade folder has read and write access privileges but we get the same error. Is this a Lion thing? hare the logic programmers aware of this issue?

Im pretty tech savvy on most things but i cannot find a workaround for this. I have tried AFP and SMB and Im just about to try NFS. But I don't think the problem is with the network or the raid system, i think logic has the issue. any advice on this issue would be appreciated

thanks you

francis

The fact that you can record/play projects perfectly on your other hard drive but not that one seems to tell us that the new hard drive is at fault, not Logic. All Logic is telling you is that it cannot rewrite the fade file, which is in the project folder. That's nothing very unusual for Logic to do, so I don't think there's anything wrong there - if Logic had no problem writing to that file it would write to it and leave you alone, as it always does, and as it does on your other USB drive.

Now for some reason, on that new hard drive, Logic cannot write to that file. That's what needs to be figured out.

There is definitely a problem on the logic side with this issue because we are not the only people to be encountering it.

While the error is nothing unusual, there can be various reasons for it. And some of the reasons others are getting it might be completely unrelated to your reasons. Having said that, I'm curious: what other people are encountering it? Do you mean you've seen perfect strangers on forums report the same error? With the same drive or not? Do you mean you know other people having the same problem? Same drive or not?

I have people on the mac forums talking abut the same thing. there sees to be some issue with logic writing fade files to the raid system or network over ehternet. One guy said that the mac AFP could nt do it but the windows version SMB could do it so we tested it out and nothing changed. We have shut down the firewall and we even used a NFS which is a basic linux system that has NO permissions and it still didn't work,this is why i think it is logic because the disc permissions were set to 'anyone including cats and dogs can log on from anywhere in the world and successfully connect'.

it still doesn't do it with no permissions. AND..... and this is where it gets interesting..... Foinal cut pro has absolutely no problems at all, it plays back beautifully, iMovie, itines, in fact every single application apart from logs works beautifully. this is why i think it is a logic issue. are logic about to release version 10? because this would make sense if they arent supporting or updating the current version.

any ideas?

I've had exactly the same problems working with networked drives, both shared Disc Utilities formatted Mac OS extended volumes (Apple 10.4/5/6 server) and generic NAS volumes shared via afp. I have worked in music education for years and as schools are moving to networked systems (if they haven't already arrived) and Logics inability to play nice in a networked environment is well known amongst my colleagues. Most administrators are forced to ask students to record to removable drives, with the attendant loss and destruction :-(

I don't think the op has a drive error issue. Any Logic session, whether recorded to a network volume or copied there, will balk and throw file permissions and fade file error dialogs before playback. I'd invite you to try this yourself - even playback from another shared internal HD exhibits this error. This is reasonably well documented on the Apple support forum - googling fade file, logic and network will get you there.

It would be a rare drive indeed that refused to record/play logic fade files alone :-)

It would be a rare drive indeed that refused to record/play logic fade files alone :-)

Note that Logic doesn't say it can't record/play a file, it says it cannot UPDATE a file - so not simply read an existing file, nor write a new file, but modify an existing file, which is quite different. That's often a simple permissions problem, on just about any drive, so nothing rare about that. I see it every day in a school environment where computers have multiple accounts and students don't have the necessary permissions on projects that are saved in the admin account.

OK so having said that thanks for reporting your experience, and according to what you report it seems that the problem is isolated to network drives. That's good to know.

even playback from another shared internal HD exhibits this error.

Can you share a simple method for replicating the error?

What you say is true - but as I recall, when the fade files are deleted from the Options/Audio Menu (interesting that this command should be necessary...) a similar set of objections takes place. There's a record situation, I surmise.

A simple repro? Take an existing project and save a copy as... (or consolidate, or simply copy) to a network volume, NAS, server or peer (will all behave in the same way). Make sure there is an existing fade, then hit play from any point in the song.

Networked environments are hard to avoid these days, and not all of us work in bedroom studios (nostalgia...) If Final Cut Pro can handle HD video and multitrack audio in a networked environment then I'd hope Logic Pro could too!

Thanks for all your time and attention.

Also, to add to that last guys post, i even tried to create fades on the project so it wasnt just an update situation, when you actually create a fade on the networked project it gives the same error code. I keep saying it is a logic issue but my goal is not to blame Logic, Im simply trying to stop people from spending two weeks of their time with that 'doom' feeling when you cannot get something to work. I appreciate your time and effort a great deal, after weeks of insanity im just happy to be talking to someone about it from logic, I think it would be nice and decent if logic simply said " hey guys, you cannot update fades over a network in logic". then we could all go to the pub. Can we go to the pub?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Error code -61 wrPermErr

Read/write permission doesn’t allow writing

So, as was described above, its a permissions issue... which is preventing the fade file from being updated... and is likely to be a folder permissions issue rather than a file permissions issue.

If you need help sorting out permissions.. try BatCHmod (search for it in google) but make a backup before you do so...

I get this problem on specific projects, and I'm not writing to a network either; rather, I'm writing to a dedicated project drive (internal SATA). The result code is -39, not -61. Wondering if there's any significant difference between those errors.

In terms of permissions, the bane of a sole-user system... what's interesting is:

• neither Disk Utility nor Disk Warrior have the capability for examining or repairing permissions on any drive but the boot drive.

• in my case, the "cannot update fades" error message will occur without any new editing going on. IOW, when I hit play I get the error message. If I stop and hit play again, I get the message again. Lather, rinse, repeat. No editing, just playback. And this can occur on a project that plays back perfectly fine until suddenly, fade file update messages appear for no apparent reason (and definitely not due to tweaking existing fades).

• deleting fade files does not fix the problem

@N6, does your BatCHmod thingy repair permissions on non-boot drives?

And in general, is there a way to strip all permissions from (say) a project drive so that, as the owner and sole user of my computer that I don't have to run into a situation where I don't have permission to use my own files?

I get this problem on specific projects, and I'm not writing to a network either; rather, I'm writing to a dedicated project drive (internal SATA). The result code is -39, not -61. Wondering if there's any significant difference between those errors.

Are you sure it isn't -36?

Error code -39 is "End of file; no additional data in the format"

Where did you get this file?

• neither Disk Utility nor Disk Warrior have the capability for examining or repairing permissions on any drive but the boot drive.

Disk utility will repair permissions on system drives. You have to have an OS X system on the drive for it to work. It does not have to be THE boot drive.

...does your BatCHmod thingy repair permissions on non-boot drives?

You can not "repair" permissions with BatCHmod.

It enables you to change permissions to what ever you want and you can do it on any drive.

And in general, is there a way to strip all permissions from (say) a project drive so that, as the owner and sole user of my computer that I don't have to run into a situation where I don't have permission to use my own files?

Highlight the drive. Press Command - I to get info. Check the Ignore Ownership box.

Hi Eric,

You're probably write (pun intended) it was probably -36.

Thanks for the add'l info and clarification.

Trying to understand... all files have permissions associated with them, but only files on the system drive (or a drive on which OSX is installed) can have permissions repaired by a drive utility (such as Disk Utility) if they somehow get changed. But in the case of a project drive, where OSX is not installed... in this situation with fade files, if it IS due to a permissions problem then there's no way to "repair" them other than to manually set them to something which allows access. And then, even if access is set to read/write (as reported by someone above) and the problem still exists, what if any other solutions are there?

Hi Eric,

You're probably write (pun intended) it was probably -36.

Thanks for the add'l info and clarification.

Trying to understand... all files have permissions associated with them, but only files on the system drive (or a drive on which OSX is installed) can have permissions repaired by a drive utility (such as Disk Utility) if they somehow get changed. But in the case of a project drive, where OSX is not installed... in this situation with fade files, if it IS due to a permissions problem then there's no way to "repair" them other than to manually set them to something which allows access. And then, even if access is set to read/write (as reported by someone above) and the problem still exists, what if any other solutions are there?

Ok -36 is an I/O Error.

This is usually not a good sign. It can be your drive that is failing. It can also be that something is corrupt in the directory of the disk.

In that case you could try cloning your drive to another drive and back.

Try the Ignore ownership box to make sure that the fade files thing is not a permission issue.

ski: What Eric just said.... and in addition

Using BatCHmod, I'd also clear the ACLs... as well as doing what Eric suggested.. I usually use this along with the change ownership checkbox when permissions have become all screwed up or you are trying to fix files that were created under a different OS X account..

Note: When a drive has a great number of single files on it BatCHmod can take some time to do it's work so don't panic if nothing seems to happen for a while...

List of OS X errors codes can be found here (Apple's own list seems to have gone partially AWOL... for the time being...)

http://www.peter.com.au/programming/mac-os-errors.html

• 2 weeks later...