Kontrol 49 and sustain pedal

maceasy

I know this has been asked before. I have trawled the forum and read the replies, but still can't get a clear idea of how to get a sustain pedal to work through a Kontrol 49 with Logic. Such a basic function, and such a ludicrous hassle that I may have to dump the Kontrol. I have tried everything, including taking it out of native mode, tried the LC Xmu, and still nothing. Yet the transport bar tells me that the pedal is sending the correct CC64 message - 127 and 0. What a heap of junk this Kontrol is.

• 2 years later...

It works just fine on my microKontrol? Are you sure you have the polarity set right? Are you sure you have the correct type of sustain pedal?

Er - hang on - you say it *is* sending CC64 correctly? Then the controller and pedal appear to be working fine, so I'm not sure why you're saying it's "junk" when it appears to be working as intended.

So - what are you trying to *do* with the sustain CC that isn't working in Logic?

It works just fine on my microKontrol? Are you sure you have the polarity set right? Are you sure you have the correct type of sustain pedal?

Thanks for your reply, man. This has nothing to do with polarity of the pedal, and everything to do with the K49 being recognized by Logic as a Surface controller. As such the pedal is mapped to Play-Stop command and there is no way I could find to reassign just the pedal and leave all the other knobs mapped as is.

The only way around this is to delete the surface control mapping in Logic; the sustain pedal suddenly springs back into action.

Other downside, one has to delete the mapping manually everytime Logic is run.

Oh I see what you are saying. it's nothing to do with the sustain pedal, and is everything to do with Logic's native Korg controller support.

Imo - the Korg native support in Logic isn't very good and I stopped using it a long time ago - even things like losing the mod wheel was a complete no-brainer.

I've since used LC Xmu for my Korg microKontrol, which is imo by far the best way of using these controllers with Logic. It solved all my problems and is totally great.

> Other downside, one has to delete the mapping manually everytime Logic is run.

No you don't - just remove the Korg microKontrol bundle from Logic's application bundle. Now it won't be recognised when you start Logic. Always the first thing I do with my copy... :)

[quote name="beej"

> Other downside' date=' one has to delete the mapping manually everytime Logic is run.

No you don't - just remove the Korg microKontrol bundle from Logic's application bundle. Now it won't be recognised when you start Logic. Always the first thing I do with my copy... :)[/quote]

Excellent! Thank you very much for both tips :) I'll download XMU right now and try removing the microKontrol bundle from Logic's bundle tonight.!

Cheers!

A quick clarification: What I actually do is create a second folder inside the app bundle called "MIDI Device Plugins disabled" and move any control surface modules there, rather than just delete them. That way I can put them back if need be.

Also, be aware that updating Logic will re-add the control surface plugins and you'll need to do it again.