Logic 8 audio arranging abit sloppy

adjay

when arranging audio (says some kickks and snares) theres quite a large latency before you actually hear the audio being played.

if for example i had a 5 bar loop runing and i were to move the position of the snare it wouldn't actually play/trigger it un till maybe even once its looped twice. In other words theres a huge delay before moving past tthe audio file and when logic plays it.

its got to the point now where its slowing my work flow right down and frankly pissing me off.

ive just come from cubase which was on basically the same buffer settings etc as im running logic with but cubase was alot snappier. In fact cubase was instant i.e if you moved the audio file just before the play bar was about to trigger it, it would still reckonise the change and play it were i had just moved it.

anyone know a fix for this??

p.s this also is happening when previewing samples/audio files in the 'brower window' (the bit with the library and apple loops)

also if anyone knows, when previewing an audio file how do you make it preview without having to click the button or space bar every time.

thanks in advance for any help

if for example i had a 5 bar loop runing and i were to move the position of the snare it wouldn't actually play/trigger it un till maybe even once its looped twice. In other words theres a huge delay before moving past tthe audio file and when logic plays it.

+1

experiencing this as well

yofi-is there a delay were playing/previewing samples/audio files in the browser window or the import audio window??

i had a little play with it today, turned the buffer processing to LARGE and made sure the 'cycle algorthym' box was ticked, but unfortunealty didn't imporve things :(

Sadly, I think that's just the way it is in Logic. It was even worse in Logic 7 in my experience. I've long since come to the conclusion that Cubase is far better for audio arranging and editing, so now I try not to think about how good I had it, and just live with the way Logic does things. :lol:

Not Logic bashing, since I've been having a blast using it all week, they just REALLY need to address the audio side some more soon.

if thats the way it is then fair enough but its not really on though is it!! lol

ive just come from cubase and although i really am liking logic alot more, audio editing and arranging is a key part of the music i make.

i'll just try and live with it for now and see how i get on...

hopefully like you said they address it in the near future

just noticed something else. WHen using the sicsors function when scrolling past a bit of audio it will play it in slow motion (obviously handy if trying to find the exact part you want to cut). However because of this slow/out of sync audio problem it means that when you scroll past it wont actually play it untill a couple of secs after.

this leads me to believe that this audio problem cant just be 'the way it is' as why would apple implement a good system for splicing audio when it is ultimately useless??

can any else shed some light on this or confirm that logic just is sloppy at handleing/editing audio please

just noticed something else. WHen using the sicsors function when scrolling past a bit of audio it will play it in slow motion (obviously handy if trying to find the exact part you want to cut). However because of this slow/out of sync audio problem it means that when you scroll past it wont actually play it untill a couple of secs after.

this leads me to believe that this audio problem cant just be 'the way it is' as why would apple implement a good system for splicing audio when it is ultimately useless??

can any else shed some light on this or confirm that logic just is sloppy at handleing/editing audio please

Sorry. I can't confirm.

Check From the Preferences > Audio > Devices tab that Maximum Scrub Speed and Scrub Responce are set as you want.

i

i - thanks for your responce however, i played around with both scrub settings to no avail :( (also im not 100% sure on what the scrub settings are suppose to adjust? i assumed how sensitivethe audio reacts tochanges cut/paste ect)

still no fix for this ??

i - thanks for your responce however, i played around with both scrub settings to no avail :( (also im not 100% sure on what the scrub settings are suppose to adjust? i assumed how sensitivethe audio reacts tochanges cut/paste ect)

still no fix for this ??

Scrub settings adjust the time it takes for the system to output the sound when you scrub over an audio file with scissors tool. It also sets how fast you can scrub i.e. how fast the audio will play when scrubbing.

In the good old analog taperecorder days one could move the tape through tapehead forward and backward by hand and "scrub" the tape to hear what is on it, hence the name scrubbing.

Try changing your soundcard to built-in and see if that helps. If scrubbing is improved it means that you have poor/old soundcard driver installed.

i

Ok.

1. What machine you have and how much memory is installed?

2. Where is the audio located that you try to scrub? On an internal HD or an external HD?

3. What kind of audio file you're trying to scrub?

4. Which soundcard you're using?

Scrubbing works fine here.

i

i - the main problem im having isnt scrubbing, its the whole way logic 8 handles audio.

if you read my first post that explains it.

i havnt got a very fast machine G4 1.5 2gb ram - but ive just come over to logic from being a cubase user for years and never had this with cubase (also i was running cubase with and even higher buffer setting)

as one other guy replyd he mentioned that its 'just the way logic is' and said it was worst with logic 7.

this is not a particualr BIG problem however, its really slowing my work rate down as once i make a particualr edit to an audio file (say a simple move etc)

surely that cant be the problem though? just an old computer, as cubase ran fine on it?? and it meets the recommended specs of logic 8

and it dosn't do it with reason 4 or other audio programs (bias Peak ect).

is there nothing i can do then?

surely that cant be the problem though? just an old computer, as cubase ran fine on it?? and it meets the recommended specs of logic 8

You must be right, if your machine is within minimum specs then scrubbing a single audio file should work fine.

I am fairly new to Mac and Logic, so I don’t know exactly how slow a G4 1.5 is - but surely it should be fast enough to scrub an audio file.

yes thats what i would of thought.

my main problem isn't just scrubbing audio though, its the general audio in logic.

like you im new to logic aswell and the problem is theres so a delay when moving audio around on the arrange screen before logic actually picks up the changes and outputs. My first post should explain it a littl e better

• 3 months later...
yes thats what i would of thought.

my main problem isn't just scrubbing audio though, its the general audio in logic.

like you im new to logic aswell and the problem is theres so a delay when moving audio around on the arrange screen before logic actually picks up the changes and outputs. My first post should explain it a littl e better

i have the same problem on a g5 :(