Apple Loop creation in Logic Express 8 - Nahmani page 262

msabramo

I'm following the exercise "Creating Blue Apple Loops" on page 262 of "Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8" by David Nahmani, and running into some trouble.

1. Open Logic project file: "07 New Day".

2. Drag the Marquee tool (Command-click tool) over the High Arpeggio region from bar 5 to bar 7. Verify that before releasing the mouse button, the help tag reads "5 1 1 1 7 1 1 1", indicating that Marquee selection goes from bar 5 to bar 7 and is thus 2 bars in length.

3. Click the Marquee selection with the Pointer tool to create a new region that should be exactly 2 bars in length.

4. In the Arrange area's local menu bar, choose Region > Add to Apple Loops Library.

Expected Results:

The dialog should offer the choice of "Loop" or "One-shot".

Actual Results:

The choice of "Loop" or "One-shot" is grayed out.

According to the book and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301036, this graying out is a symptom of having a region that is not a whole number of bars in length, but this region seems to be exactly 2 bars in length as far as I can tell.

Other folks seeing this?

I was able to create the loop using the Apple Loop Utility, but I'm wondering why I couldn't do it in Logic - Logic bug or user error?

Thank you very much David for responding and pointing me to the earlier thread.

Unfortunately, I'm still having trouble. I noticed that if I keep the Sample Editor open (so I can see the true length of the region) and try to resize the region with or without Control+Shift, I cannot make the region length be 2 0 0 0. In the arrange window while resizing the help tag reads 2 0 0 0 and won't let me go beyond that, but the sample editor still says 1 3 3 239. And I don't have LMB > Audio > Search Zero Crossings checked.

Any other ideas? I'm done with the book, but my interest is in nailing down exactly what this bug is and how it can be worked around so I can post my findings at http://bugreport.apple.com