automating the bypass of a send? Can we do this? Help!

VSOP

Yo Shiver-me-Timberlake....

Thanks for the Mod Wheel and SUstain Pedal idea, but this is not the correct implemantation.. I need to automate a hard on and off and still be able to adjust the level of the send, on the fly, without more automation, as well as the modwhell wont work as Im an engineer and dont have the chops to use the modwheel fast enough, plus I dont always have a midi keyboard... Cool ideas tho.

This fader Mute thing is EXACTLY what I need.

So I went back to the studio to try this out.

And it dosent work same in L8 for Me.

I dont know how to add these pics, but I set the transformer up and everything. When you set the fader level on the vert4/mute object it reads correct on the monitor and alters the send level on the channelstrip. Cool

When I thump the button it outputs 0 and drops the channelstrips level. Cooler

When I unmute the button the vert/mute fader object drops to 1 and the monitor shows 1 and the send drops to -78.9 and then just shuffels tween 0 and 1 untill I actually move the fader on the vert/mute object.

BUMMER

Any Ideas? I will admit I may have somthing set wrong in the instector in the enviorment for that fader object but Im dont think so...

Let Me know mang

Matt

WAIIIT

WAAAAAAAAAIIIIT

I THINK

I THINK

I GOT IT

Yea Yea Yea

Yea Yea Yea

THANKS SKI.. Gotta a cuban and a bottle of Macallen here waitin on yer next trip to the CHI!

Matt

And it picks up the level from the first faderbang when u patch it to a new channel so Ill only have to actually set the level once.

Im in hetero man love right now.

OK OK OK OK

Well Ive hit a problem. 2 actually.

1st being, thier is a terrible lag in the fader/mute object before it actually gets the message. In a song about 75bpm its taking almost a full quarternote (Maybe a lil less) to actually get the send opened up. So I practiced a lil and got the timing almost good (atleast in the ballpark) and automated a pass.

No Prob. The unfortunate thing is that once you do the automation it freezes the level of the send, and that not quite was I was looking for, but is VERY Close.

Earlier when this probelem actually had presented itself, my solution was to setup the send and raise the level only a tiny bit. Then I hit flip on my mackie and got the send level on a fader. I dropped a breakpoint on that send level (Still at like -50) and put logic into touch. Then I held the fader down to -infinitly untill i wanted the delays, when I would let go it drew automation up to -50 and then I raked it back down. Then I rubberbanded all the automation and dragged up thus adjusting the overall send level to the exacty level I wanted.

This, as the now "Ski" method both have thier ups and downs.

In my method I had to hold the fader down but the responce was very quick. Sadly as it was based off of fader automation there wernt hard lines in the automation and it required alot more editing that I wanted to do.

Skis method whlie has a lag in responce time has the bonus that it only needs a mouse to achieve. Also another downside is the automation "froze" the send level, But it DID do it with a hard line so editing was simple. Of course the automation is in a midi region so it is nudgable which is BAD ASS.

So I guess after thinking about it all its still pretty bad ass.

MH

8 All the way.

I may have the fader set wierd. Thiers input and output settings in the inspected that I'm gonna have to RTFM to understand. Im definitly probably exaggeratinng the length of the delay. Hmm I wonder if the delay could be from the PDC. This is a dense mix.

MH

Part of my [ahem] "design" :wink: is that you didn't have to change anything about the fader's settings (as seen in the inspector). Just cable it to the transformer, set up the transformer in the above pic, and cable that to the channel strip (I'm sure you've done that part just fine). Maybe PDC has something to do with it. Hard to say from here.

Hmmm I did have to change he fader setup tho. Perhaps L8 defaults different. I had to change it to control in the inspector from fader to get the transformer to "fix the bug" I actually left for home as sleep is soon. Thought about the PDC thing on the road home. Will try again tommorrow.

Thanks

truely

MH

Yo Shiver-me-Timberlake....

.. I need to automate a hard on...

Matt

My wife would love a feature like that...

When I was reviewing the post after writing it I relized I had forgotten to type the "and off" part of the sentance so I went back and edited it. I wondered if anyone thought it was as funny as I had at the time.

LOL

Matt

• 3 years later...