Using the notation editor to change programs / send CC

astavi

Hi, I'm using the eastwest symphonic orchestra with logic 8, and I'm trying to figure out how to change programs in an instrument bank filled with various articulations through using symbols / text in the notation editor.

It'd be great if there was a way to do this backwards, too - adding in text/symbols with keyswitches when playing a part on a keyboard.

Any information or environment files would be greatly appreciated.

Start here:

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=8577

And while you're in that section of the forum, do a search for other score-related posts that might address what you're looking to do.

Keep in mind one thing: that when you use symbols to change articulations, you need to use some other symbol to change it back. In other words, if you primarily use legato strings but occasionally need sFz or spicc. (or whatever), you need to use some other symbol that lets you get back to the legato string sound.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, ski, but unfortunately I'm still at square one. All of that stuff is way beyond my head...I tried double clicking on the monitors and transformers and stuff to see if there was some code behind them that made any sense, and it was all gibberish to me. Is there any beginner's tutorial on this stuff? Is there any way I could hire someone to do this for me?

*Edit: Attached is my best attempt at pulling this off...doesn't work, of course :(

Articulationattempt.zip

Uses logic express 8 / kontakt 3 / EWQLSO gold XP

There's no code behind the various environment objects. All the programming is done either within the objects or by cabling the right ones together (that's the simplified explanation). But good for you for at least trying to check out the situation.

I'm sure that you could pay someone to create an environment that works for you, but it will likely be somewhat time-consuming to custom-tailor an environment to work specifically how you want it to.

Doing it yourself isn't terribly hard, though. Here's a simple example that can maybe get you started:

For sake of this example, the key C0 on your keyboard will switch a string sound in a sampler plug from legato to sFz. And it's important to keep in mind that any keyswitch needs to play slightly before the actual note whose articulation is going to be switched. It can't happen simultaneously with the note. Got that? OK, here we go!

First, look at this score:

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/ssym2.jpg

There are two notes. Let's assume that the first note plays legato, the second sFz. Note in the event list that sFz symbol is positioned slightly ahead of the second note. This is per what I said above about having the symbol precede the note. I aligned the sFz symbol using the graphics tool so the score looks right.

Also look in the event list at the "Meta" event that was generated after I entered the sFz score symbol. Meta events are just like MIDI events, but they're specific and internal to Logic. Anyway, the sFz marking is represented as Meta 1 / 62 / 8. (Note: not all score symbols generate such Meta events).

So how does that get converted to that C0 that's going to switch the sound to sFz? By using a Transformer.

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/ssym1.jpg

Do the following in the Environment:

1) create a new instrument object (New > Instrument)

2) create a new transformer object (New > Transformer)

3) name and cable things according to the diagram

4) the "Inst 1 front end" name implies that this object is going to be assigned to your track INSTEAD of the actual instrument 1 that's hosting your plugin. So assign this to your track now.

5) double-click the transformer and program it as shown.

Now, when you insert that sFz mark, the sound will switch. Of course, replace "C0" in the transformer with whatever note is required to actually call up the sFz articulation. Even if you don't have an sFz articulation in your plug, just stick with this example for now. You can use the sFz symbol for now to switch to any articulation you like.

If you get that far and it works, back and I'll show you how to program an additional transformer to switch BACK to legato.

Thanks for clearing this up, ski :D

I toyed around with the environment and finally got it set up to respond to meta symbols, and it sends program changes based on the one it reads (the articulations are set up as an instrument bank in Kontakt).

Is there any way I could get the transformers hooked up so that they can also switch software instruments? I don't need this quite yet, but I plan on getting another sample library which might use a different sample player (e.g. VSL) for legato/portamento sections. Being able to focus entirely on the score would be great.

Additionally, is there any way I can route the input such that meta events are actually added to the score? I'd love to set up environment keyswitches in this fashion; would make the process a bit smoother.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Articulations.logic.zip

Uses Logic express 8, Kontakt 3, and the East West Symphonic Orchestra's violin patches (gold edition)

Thanks for clearing this up, ski :D

I toyed around with the environment and finally got it set up to respond to meta symbols, and it sends program changes based on the one it reads (the articulations are set up as an instrument bank in Kontakt).

Is there any way I could get the transformers hooked up so that they can also switch software instruments? I don't need this quite yet, but I plan on getting another sample library which might use a different sample player (e.g. VSL) for legato/portamento sections. Being able to focus entirely on the score would be great.

Additionally, is there any way I can route the input such that meta events are actually added to the score? I'd love to set up environment keyswitches in this fashion; would make the process a bit smoother.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

You're welcome!

I'm not home right now, but I think the answer to your questions are "yes", with some caveats...

VSL uses both key switching and controllers to switch and/or crossfade articulations. I'd like to suggest that you get VSL, play around with it for a while and learn how it works; in other words, once you get some experience on it, you'll get a feel for how you'll want to control articulation switching. Then you can design an environment around that concept.

As far as entering symbols into the score via keyswitching on a keyboard, that's do-able, but it could only be done in real-time, as you're recording. In other words, if you played, say, C#0 to switch to such-and-such articulation, you would use a transformer to convert that note to a meta event that represents that articulation, and it would be recorded in real time (it could also probably be done with capture recording, though I'm not 100% sure).

I'll check out your file in the next day or so.

Actually, I just figured out how to do that second bit. I was referring to routing input to different channel strips (so that different articulations can trigger entirely different audio units), and figured out how to do it using a cable switcher and transformers. I've attached the file in case it can help anyone.

*Disclaimer: I honestly didn't intend for it to sound like a cheesy sci-fi...I just randomly clicked a bunch of times on the staff and wound up with that motif - I guess we now know how those twilight zone composers did it :D

P.S.: Is there any single device that acts like a bunch of transformers in one? My environment window is getting a bit cluttered :?

InstrumentSwitch.logic.zip

Uses Logic express 8, ES1/ES2 (built in synths)

astavi,

Gotta tell you man, you're doing just great with your environment programming. It seems like only a couple of hours ago you said you were in over your head, and now you're doing it! As the popular wisdom would have you believe, most people are afraid of the environment, but you forged right ahead. Congratulations!

I checked out your latest attachment and I think it's great what you've done. There are a few things I'd suggest doing differently, but nothing to worry about for now -- you're doing fine!

Still, I've attached a revised version which uses a slightly different approach to achieve the same thing. It contains a bunch of monitors so that you can view what's going on at each stage of the processing. I didn't change your transformer or cable switcher programming. I just moved things around a little :mrgreen:. You'll see that I named the transformers too (you'll find that you quickly lose track of what your transformers do unless you label them).

Post back if you have any questions about it. Again, congrats!!! :mrgreen:

InstrumentSwitch SKImod1.zip