Cool Environment Sequencer

steveH

This is what it is boiling down to:

Press the record button and then click on any/or all of the ON/OFF row set buttons - also move the Row set faders Now play that back and watch the fader for Inst 1.

It seems the Row set faders and the On/off buttons are affecting the Inst channel volume fader.

Funny thing is that the faders themselves aren't outputting these events. They get "interpreted" after-the-fact as various kinds of controllers that show up in a region.

I have a similar sequencer design which I've been working, but it uses a completely different approach for actually arriving at the values for each fader, and I'm getting the same thing with mine. Still investigating....

Yeah, I agree. Recording notes is one thing, but recording fader movements is going to cause problems here. Remember, Steve is building a sequencer out of environment objects, it's not like building a plugin. So there are bound to be chinks in the armor, though they shouldn't detract from the usefulness of this design.

I think the more practical way to record changes to the sequencer faders and controls (if you really have to :roll: :wink: ) would be to remote-control them with CC's. That kind of programming can certainly be added at some stage I'm sure. But for now methinks it's best to use this kind of sequencer as it's intended -- to set up patterns and let it rip! 8)

Well - what is we to do?

A single Fader object in the environment NOT connected to anything will still show up in the region automation (Watch the hyper editor window). If it's output is set to '7' or volume (or anything else), it will get recorded.

So if the Instrument track is selected... :?

What is we to do?

Thanks Steve, this is cool. I really like its modular nature and am going to copy it straight to my autoload.

One problem though is that fader 1 of the second row appears not to output any data.

Also, the LED display seems to be displaying one step behind the event being sent. This is most noticeable with the Clock set to Off.

Sorry if any of this has been mentioned already.

On a side note, I'm currently working through your Ultrabeat tutorial and have completed your ES2 tutorial. Both are great!

Tom

I just noticed that LED timing thingy myself!! I'll work on that in the next couple of days.

I vaguely recall facing this same issue in an environment I wrote a while ago ... I have a feeling the solution involved changing the order of cabling coming out of a transformer, or perhaps delaying one of the data paths by a tick ...

I'm tempted to have a poke around myself, but I know that once I start, I probably won't be able to stop, and I'm actually supposed to be writing some music right now.

Fader one of the second row.... bugs, bugs, bugs!

Yes, doing this sort of thing sure makes you appreciate the amount of work that must go into a piece of commercial software!

Tom

Steve,

Hopefully I'm referring to the latest version here, but I found that LED's 15 & 16 are both set to 15. That aside, I've done an exploratory on the environment and I see a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be there -- mostly, remnants of your very kindly incorporating my LED display driver into your sequencer -- but which resulted in there now being two "counters", two random sources, and a bunch of stuff that's just mucking up the works. Time permitting I'll post a revision tomorrow.

Steve,

Hopefully I'm referring to the latest version here, but I found that LED's 15 & 16 are both set to 15. That aside, I've done an exploratory on the environment and I see a bunch of stuff that shouldn't be there -- mostly, remnants of your very kindly incorporating my LED display driver into your sequencer -- but which resulted in there now being two "counters", two random sources, and a bunch of stuff that's just mucking up the works. Time permitting I'll post a revision tomorrow.

Yeah, I fixed 15 and 16 in my latest version. I tried, in adapting the LED cicuitry, to start my objective of making independent rows with independent step numbers and randomness. So that is why I was keen on keeping separate counters etc. Somehow, in my enthusiastic flailing, the addition addressing the LEDs by way of channel and the faders by routing triggers to band transformers, really mucked things up. There seems to a huge data feedback problem at this point probably caused by the loop through the channel strip which has to be there to capture the parameters for the rows but can certainly cause some unintended data looping.

So, I think I'll probably chuck my independent idea stuff and just get this sucker working again.

Ski: Have you gutted it yet with any results... or should I go ahead and give it a try and post my results?

Steve

Steve, it's too bad you started a new thread about this topic. Now the information and discussion on that great template you guys put together is spread out over two different threads in two different forums - so in the future, someone interested in the template and possibly improving upon it will not have access to the entire discussion!

That's why we have guidelines specifying not to double-post (meaning not create two threads in two different forums about the same topic).

Let's close this thread and continue the discussion in the original thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=196153#196153

Thanks!!