Help me test Pacifist with Logic discs

Hello all. I'm not a regular of this board, and I really hope I'm not breaking some etiquette rule by posting this here, but I'm not sure where else to go for this.

I'm the author of Pacifist, a tool for Mac OS X that you may be familiar with. Recently, I've been preparing to launch a new version, but literally days before I was ready to launch, I received an e-mail from a customer claiming that Pacifist was not working with the install packages for Logic Studio 9. I sent him a copy of my latest build, and he claimed that did not work either. Unfortunately, he did not provide much in the way of details, and when I sent him a build peppered with debug logs, he stopped responding to my e-mails.

I do not know if this is an actual bug in Pacifist, whether it's something idiosyncratic about the Logic Studio 9 disc, or whether there was just something wrong with this customer's setup (it's possible that he might have had a bunch of haxies installed or something), but I feel that I should probably verify that there's not a bug in Pacifist's package-loading code before I go ahead and launch a new version. Unfortunately, I don't have the Logic Studio 9 disc to test this with. I was wondering if someone who does would be willing to run my latest build, open the Logic Studio 9 discs, and tell me if it works. If it does, I can release this with peace of mind. If it doesn't, I could send you some more debug builds and you could tell me what appears in the Console until I have the problem tracked down.

If anyone is willing to help with this, I would be greatly appreciative. My e-mail address is support (ā†) charlessoft (Ðø†) com (sorry for the slight obfuscation, it's to keep the spambots at bay).

Thanks!

Charles

Thanks, but as the problem he said he had with my latest build was slightly different from the one he had with 2.5.2, I would like to make sure I haven't inadvertently introduced some issue sometime since then... surely someone with the Logic Studio 9 disc would just be willing to try this? All you'd have to do would be to open the Logic Studio 9 disc and report the results a few times.

I don't have Logic, so I'm not entirely sure of the reasons that one might need to bypass its installer, but I do know that at least one person tried it and complained to me that it didn't work.

My major issue here is that if this is a widespread problem, it may expose a bug in Pacifist that only something specific about the Logic packages was able to bring out. If this is true, I need to fix it, but I need someone with the Logic Studio 9 disc to try it for me.

What I am hoping is that it will work fine, and then I can just chalk it up to something wrong with this person's system and move on. But I don't want to release a new version that could potentially have a huge package-loading bug in it, so I want to test this first.

I just tried it and it's true that Packages can't be installed with pacifist from the discs, but there is a work-around. Copy the packages to the desktop with e.g. Filebuddy and pacifist will work just fine.

Can you send me an e-mail (support A T charlessoft D O T com) so I can send you a build with some debug logs in it, in order to try to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

So... no takers, then?

All that you will need to do is insert the Logic Pro 9 discs, insert Pacifist, click the "Open Apple Install Discs" button, and see if the packages will load and allow you to view their contents. If it fails in some way, you will simply send me whatever has been logged to the Console during that time. It is not necessary to extract or install anything, no need to overwrite anything on your hard disk - only to load the packages into memory and see if they display properly. It is a fairly low-risk operation.

If it turns out there's a bug, and you help me fix it, you'll get a free registration code.

So... no takers, then?

All that you will need to do is insert the Logic Pro 9 discs, insert Pacifist, click the "Open Apple Install Discs" button, and see if the packages will load and allow you to view their contents. If it fails in some way, you will simply send me whatever has been logged to the Console during that time. It is not necessary to extract or install anything, no need to overwrite anything on your hard disk - only to load the packages into memory and see if they display properly. It is a fairly low-risk operation.

If it turns out there's a bug, and you help me fix it, you'll get a free registration code.

I'll do it. I just bought Logic 9 today. :D Check your PMs.