Apogee Duet / powered speakers

Hi,

My current 'out' set up is a pair of KRK monitor speakers running out of my Apgoee Duet.

I'm now looking to get some home type speakers so i can start mixing my music to sound decent on home stereo equipment (not just in my music room!)

What's the easiest way to switch back and forth to a different set of speakers? Should i be looking to just unplug the KRK's and plug in an amp with some home speakers? or is there a smarter way.

I'm on a budget sadly, so can't go too nuts on it.

Sorry for the newb question, but i'm a musician, not an engineer!

Cheers..

Thanks for that David - that's great - i think the Presonus would suit perfectly.

Is there a generally accepted pair of inexpensive speakers that are commonly used for this purpose, or is it a case of finding some mid range home speaker set up..?

Thanks again for that - just tracking prices on the Presonus at the moment.

I use a cheap boombox that I bought at Target. A lot of pro studios use Auratones or NS 10s, which are accordingly totally overpriced since everybody thinks that's the exact speakers they should get - so there's a lot of demand for those crappy speakers (and some beginners actually think that's because they're GOOD speakers :roll: ).

The Presonus that you mentioned does the job perfectly (after a bit of reading), and in effect will also replace my POS Berhinger desk (which is bloody good news), and it still leaves me inputs for mic, guitar, stereo keyboard and decks mixer (basically using the Q-mix on the Presonus back in to the Duet along with the Duets ins)

Mate - i owe ya - that was the exact piece of kit i needed - now i need never buy any music equipment again! (sure...)

Cheers!

What about flipping between the Duet output and the default headphone output on the Mac? I think there are some free Dock-based switcher apps available so you don't even need to go to the preferences to switch.

I don't suppose those free switchers would actually switch the Logic preferences do they? If they only switch the system preferences, that wouldn't help a Logic user.

What about flipping between the Duet output and the default headphone output on the Mac? I think there are some free Dock-based switcher apps available so you don't even need to go to the preferences to switch.

I don't suppose those free switchers would actually switch the Logic preferences do they? If they only switch the system preferences, that wouldn't help a Logic user.

Yes, I forgot that Logic has its own preferences for the audio output channels.

What about flipping between the Duet output and the default headphone output on the Mac?

That's what I do - switch from a Duet running Mackie monitors to the MacPro's built in line out running to the Aux channel on a home stereo.

Works well and sounds crap on the home stereo system compared to the quality of the Duet - but that's exactly the comparison I'm after :lol: