Beat Repeat (MPC-like note repeat)

Here's an environment that will provide you with an MPC-like "Note Repeat" feature, allowing you to use any controller knob or fader to adjust the speed (resolution) of the repeated note. Special thanks to my friend Jeff Cross for providing me with this file! See Project Notes for more information.

Beat Repeat One.zip

BR.png.bbdb39a5fc0dff652c0924bdbc8872f1.png

Edited by David Nahmani

Here's an environment that will provide you with an MPC-like "Note Repeat" feature, allowing you to use any controller knob or fader to adjust the speed (resolution) of the repeated note. Special thanks to my friend Jeff Cross for providing me with this file! See Project Notes for more information.

GREAT!!! exactly what I was looking for.. can the resoulutions be assigned to different buttons???

My apologies to the Logic Pro 8 users out there. I had to fix some bugs I found introduce with Logic Pro 9 and doing so makes this incompatible with Logic Pro 8. Hopefully, you are all using LP9 by now. :D

Something that might not be clear by David's description. You can use an external controller to change resolutions while you are repeating a note which makes this a very fun real-time beat generator. I've setup a little sequence to help get you started quickly. Try repeating a closed hat in this 808 kit.

GREAT!!! exactly what I was looking for.. can the resoulutions be assigned to different buttons???

That's a great idea. It doesn't work like that now. The challenge with that is the setup. I tried to make something that would work very easily. With what I've done, you can even use the mod wheel to control the repeat values in real-time. If I made it use buttons, I'd have to know exactly which controller numbers each button was using to make it work correctly. So, setup for everyone could be a bit of a bummer. One alternative could be to use MIDI note numbers, but this would make it difficult to access any sounds that would share the same note numbers.

That's a great idea. It doesn't work like that now. The challenge with that is the setup. I tried to make something that would work very easily. With what I've done, you can even use the mod wheel to control the repeat values in real-time. If I made it use buttons, I'd have to know exactly which controller numbers each button was using to make it work correctly. So, setup for everyone could be a bit of a bummer. One alternative could be to use MIDI note numbers, but this would make it difficult to access any sounds that would share the same note numbers.

Great environment sir!!! really appreciate it.. Ive been trying to find a way to implement certain mpc functions within logic such as note repeat and 16 levels with tuning.. One of two have been solved thanks to you guys...

I'm not an Environment pro by any means, but in order to change the input resolution, it appeared that I had to unpack the Macro.

So I did that and changed it to 1/16.

Then none of my input worked, on any channel.

Perhaps I accidently moved a cable, but I honestly don't think I did.

So I guess I'm asking, what is the correct way to adjust the input resolution because although 1/4 is fine, I would prefer 1/16.

And dare I ask, did it really take that much cabling, etc. to get the fader to adjust the Arpeggiator?

I'm not trying to sound snooty, because I'm not great in the Environment, I guess I was just surprised to see how complicated of a set up it was.

:shock: :D

I'm not an Environment pro by any means, but in order to change the input resolution, it appeared that I had to unpack the Macro.

Perhaps I accidently moved a cable, but I honestly don't think I did.

So I guess I'm asking, what is the correct way to adjust the input resolution because although 1/4 is fine, I would prefer 1/16.

And dare I ask, did it really take that much cabling, etc. to get the fader to adjust the Arpeggiator?

I'm not trying to sound snooty, because I'm not great in the Environment, I guess I was just surprised to see how complicated of a set up it was.

:shock: :D

The same thing happend to me when i unpacked the macro.. It was working fine prior to then.. luckily i didnt save..

So, in theory you could replace your fader object with 5 buttons from the fader menu and assign those to cc's for each resolution??

in order to change the input resolution, it appeared that I had to unpack the Macro.

Make sure you repack the macro (select all the objects and choose New > Macro) and recable it between the Physical input and the Sequencer input.

If you need to cable the objects while the macro is open, cable the SUM of the physical input object into the INPUT monitor, and the (Monitor) object at the bottom right into the Input Notes keyboard.

in order to change the input resolution, it appeared that I had to unpack the Macro.

Make sure you repack the macro (select all the objects and choose New > Macro) and recable it between the Physical input and the Sequencer input.

If you need to cable the objects while the macro is open, cable the SUM of the physical input object into the INPUT monitor, and the (Monitor) object at the bottom right into the Input Notes keyboard.

How do you repack the macro?

I'd like to add that the MOST useful feature of the MPC repeat function for me was PRESSURE...

For instance, you could set the repeat value for 16th notes, then input a hi-hat part by holding a pad and applying different degrees of pressure for accents, etc.

The effect was surprisingly lifelike and super easy to do, very intuitive.

Don't know what kind of a controller would generate that constant velocity except an MPC itself....

great feature, I miss it!

CJ

Edited by nickweston

I'd like to add that the MOST useful feature of the MPC repeat function for me was PRESSURE...

For instance, you could set the repeat value for 16th notes, then input a hi-hat part by holding a pad and applying different degrees of pressure for accents, etc.

Don't know what kind of a controller would generate that constant velocity except an MPC itself....

CJ

This Macro has velocity sensitivity built into it.

I can hear it on my keyboard and when I open the Macro (it appears to me) to have channel pressure.

I'm gonna take some time this weekend and attempt to add triplets to the mix as well 1/12 and 1/24.

I imagine if you have one of those stand alone MPC pads, that you could do the MPC velocity pressure you miss.

CJ

Beat Repeat converts a note attribute called 'after touch' into the note velocities output with beat repeat. This means that if you have a keyboard which generates after touch, (like the MPD16) then you can lean in on the pad and it will increase the velocities of the output notes!

Wish granted. :-)

Another interesting side effect of using the arpeggiator as the basis for this is that you can hold down several notes simultaneously which can create really cool cyclical polyrhythms. I thought about creating a version that stopped this from occurring but it would be so complicated that the number of objects required would stop it from fitting in a macro which has a very small memory limit.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason on my controller (midi keyboard with aftertouch and korg padkontrol) it outputs random velocities whenever I hit a pad or key with note repeat on. Even if I set the pad kontrol to fixed velocity it does this. the only way to remedy this is to fix the dynamics in logic's inspector.

The random velocities actually sound great but I would love to use the aftertouch feature to have more control. Does anyone know how to do this?

I tried unpacking the macro but cant see any settings for this.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

im rather new to logic and im trying to figure out how to set this whole thing up. i did a search to see if i could find some info on setting up macros but no luck, i also checked the manual but it left me a little more confuse, could some one provide or point me in the direction of a detail tutorial. hope its not too much trouble.

btw loving logic pro :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
For some reason on my controller (midi keyboard with aftertouch and korg padkontrol) it outputs random velocities whenever I hit a pad or key with note repeat on. Even if I set the pad kontrol to fixed velocity it does this. the only way to remedy this is to fix the dynamics in logic's inspector.

The random velocities actually sound great but I would love to use the aftertouch feature to have more control. Does anyone know how to do this?

I tried unpacking the macro but cant see any settings for this.

Thanks

The random velocities sounds like a bug in the way I programmed it. MIght be that the translation of after touch messages to velocity needs to be tweaked a bit. Looks like some after touch values will switch the velocity mode on the arp from 'as played' to 'random'. I'll look into it some more soon. If you want you can un pack the macro, find the arps and select them all. Set the velocity to "Original" and see if this fixes the problem, then repack it. You may need to patch it back in from the physical input and monitor outputs.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Ok I'm new to Logic. I just made the switch from MPC to Software and I'm totally confused on how to even open it in a sequence I'm working on. I was trying to refrain from asking and looking like an idiot but... How do I use this?

Thanks

Kip

Ok I'm new to Logic. I just made the switch from MPC to Software and I'm totally confused on how to even open it in a sequence I'm working on. I was trying to refrain from asking and looking like an idiot but... How do I use this?

Thanks

Kip