External MIDI inst. connected to Logic, but no sound?

Wonda

So I am plugging my Roland VP-770 into my M-Audio Profire 610 through a Midi Cable. When in Logic, i can' get logic to allow me to hear the sounds from my Roland. I've only been able to get it to control the logic instruments. When my midi is plugged in I go to Track>New>External Midi. When i play my Roland i can see Logic picking up the notes but i don't hear anything. Even when i record i can see Logic writing down the notes but there is nothing in when i play it back.

Any Ideas?

thank you very much

oh ok so let me just make sure i'm gettnig this right.

I need one midi cable going from my piano (out) to my interface (in)

and i need another midi cable going from my interface (out) to my piano (in)?

then i'll be able to hear sound?

cuz right now all i has is 1 midi cable going from my piano (out) to my interface (in)

Okay i've done all the above and thanks for your help...but i'm still hearing no sound

on the transport bar where it says "No In" and "No Out" everytime i press a key on my piano the "No In" shows my input but the "No Out" doesn't change at all. I am guessing that that is the problem so how do i get the "No Out" to produce output so i can hear the sound?

Wonda,

Open Audio MIDI Setup and go to the MIDI Device tab. Create a new device and name it VP770. Cable it both ways to the ports on the Profire object. (Mimicing how the hardware is actually connected.)

In the VP770 itself, go to its MIDI config and turn "Local" control off. Check the manual for how to do this.

Open Logic, create a new External MIDI track. Open the Library pane and you'll now see your VP770 object listed there. Choose the MIDI channel you want to use.

Create an aux channel and set its audio input to the audio ports the VP's outputs are plugged into. That's it.