Moving Sample Libraires From Mac Pro HD to an External Drive

Hi Guys

Im about to invest in an external drive as my sample library is increasing and my HD space is decreasing. So i want to transfer all my sample libraries to an external drive.

My main concern is i have built up many exs instruments and concerned that if i move my sample libraires the exs refrence to the samples will be lost. Do i have to re refrence all my exs instruments if i move my sample libraries?

I was also wondering if i could move all my logic projects over to the hardrive? are there any issues with doing this? will the projects play back properly when streaming from a hard drive?

Sorry if these questions are a bit noob but ive never needed the extra space until now

Thanks in advance for any advice

I Have all my ESX instruments on an external and it works fine. Just copy the contents of your sample instrument folder AND your samples folder to your external drive, make sure that you copied everything, erase the contents of the sample instruments and samples, make an alias of the file you copied (and re named) and move it to the original sample instrument folder. Next time yu boot up LP it will look for the instruments. Next time you open an instrumement esx will look for the samples. You may have to select refresh menu once. If you have converted any instruments from other formats, make sure you've also copied the DLS samples, Soundfont samples, etc. folders to the new location. (These are separate folders).

The advantage of having your sample instruments on an external drive is, if you work various machines as I do, you can always have your palette of sounds to work with. (Make sure you save all the assets of your projects. It takes up space, but memory's cheap.)

No problem running your projects on an external drive. I prefer firewire but I've done it with USB without a hitch.