Apple's new iPad and it's possible use for Logic

I've been thinking about Apple's forthcoming iPad.. and I have, like many I suspect, been thinking about whether or not it would be worth buying when it is finally available. Could I benefit from such a item in my studio?

It dawned on me that as it is based on the iPhone OS and it apparently can run iPhone apps then what a great device it might be, to use as a remote control of Logic.

Imagine a large® screen version of ProRemote for example...

I've been using the iPhone version of this app for a short time and while it is quite handy to have, the screen size of the iPhone does make it a little difficult to work with... fine tuning of the touch sensitive faders for example..

Now, with the iPad, this issue would be much improved and could be a very useful, though admittedly expensive way of remotely controlling Logic....

Thoughts anyone?

So.. here is a good comparison photo of it's size compared to an iPhone.. and for a much lower than expected price of $499 for the basic version with 16gigs and N Wifi...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/01/ipad-hands2-2010-01-2715-40-11-rm-eng.jpg

I wonder whether it could be used as a 2nd screen with multiple-touch ability in Logic for say a plugin window, mixer or piano roll. If so I'll be putting my name down on the pre-preorder list

P.S As the ipad is not expected to be rolled out in Australia until June/July according to some reports, this should give developers plenty of time to create such programs....hopefully!

T

A hardwired solution could also be used with the 30 pin connector. /

Indeed.

The more I think about the iPad, the more interesting and yes, enticing it becomes for use with Logic in a studio situation...

I just received an email from someone in touch with Folabs, the developer of ProRemote and apparently, according to this email, he/they are all ready to start work on specific iPad versions of their ProRemote app which would work with both Logic and ProTools. I suspect it will be separate versions for each of course, much as their iPhone apps are set up.

Other ideas floating around in the various discussion groups are such things as something akin to the Yamaha Tenori-on or Korg Kaossilator Pro though such things would probably require either a hardware midi interface connecting to the 30pin (if that is at all possible..) or a very fast, low latency connection with a Mac or PC to avoid the obvious lag using Wifi would create

Lots of possibilities I can see for any Musician / Composer / Producer / Engineer / Logic owner!

WooHoo!

We'll have to wait and see if the Apple mesmerizer blinds the average joe into buying into their oppressive, backward and proprietary ecosystem.

Don't fall for something glittering pretty, its all it is, here is what it does not do!

No Multi-tasking

No Drag and Drop File Management

No USB Port

No SD Slot

No Flash

No HDMi Out

No Native Widescreen

No Camera

No Full GPS

No Open SDK

I think Apple's slick copycat digidesign marketing scams are about to hit the fan with this one, maybe it is time they start releasing fully featured competitive products rather then prettier ones. if they don't soon no one will ever buy anything new until they see features outof th box, i could care less what fat joe's in the Apple promos say cause i aint on!!., Don't get me wrong, i would also love a single touch screen macbook to take to sessions, at least as sleek as those PCs with touch screens solme studios have running OSX and or Pro Tools via Vista,

iPads and touch screens are nothing new, Apple has tested one over 9 years ago but i guess it will have to wait while they gamble on how much money they can make for the least features they can spend on., if you have not noticed yet by now you will soon, people are learning how apple works and will hold on to their money, i have been using my Imac and MBP for 4 years now, even after apple started shipping them horrible keyboards wehere the paint comes off as you use them in the first month alone, Apple has to finally either stop the digidesign marketing methods or get it together and finally release a touch screen computer, on the apple forums they remove any posts that show cunstructive critisism or failures on products they later recall.

Stick to your macs now and money guys, GREED is all i see with Apple and Digidesign.

As an iPhone user who has tried ProRemote and Jaadu VNC, I can say that the iPad would be great using Jaadu VNC. I wouldn't even consider ProRemote (it runs poorly on the 3Gs). Why use an emulator when you can use Jaadu that is actually controlling the computer.

I use Jaadu thru my iPhone already for tracking when I'm in the booth alone and no one is around the studio. It works great and isn't buggy like ProRemote. Not to mention Jaadu is much cheaper.

Logic makes some valid (if not cranky) points. I think this is definetly a V1 version that serves an interesting niche..and the POTENTIAL of what this can/will develop into is intriguing. I'm putting it on my 'Yeah, I want one, but I'll wait a year or two for the 3rd Gen" version. Frankly..a refurbed MacBookAir would do a better job replacing the wife's old G4 iBook.

but it sure is sexy :)

-

The VNC idea is great.... and I also like the idea of programming button macros, like the Euphonix

http://img.skitch.com/20100128-g62khkjxns46bgem4k7nw9qduy.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

VNC is way too slow for this. Or is there a much much faster VNC solution that what I am using (Vine+Real VNC from Mac to PC's). It's very sluggish and would not work for this kind of stuff.

Mono audio - WTF?

That is only listed under Accessibility (basically features for the handicapped), in multiple other places it says stereo. I assume they mean it has a preference to set it to mono output - maybe for people who are deaf in one ear (I know people in that situation)?

This seems like it has huge potential as an audio remote controller. Spectrasonics is working on an iPhone app, something like this would allow even more flexibility.

@Logic,

I personally am not the least bit concerned about the points you bring up, and neither will the millions and millions of people who will buy and enjoy the $499 device for what it's intended for..

I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro which both handle all of the points you bring up just fine. My intentions for wanting an iPad are not to replace my full-fledged computers, but to use the iPad in ways that I can't use my computers..

There are plenty of examples in this thread alone.

The iPad is more than just tech specs. It's more than "what" it can do, it's also "how" it does those things. In that regard, it's in a class of it's own.

I'm not telling you you have to like it.. But for me and many others, there are myriads of ways I/we could put it to good use.. And at $499... Wow!

Just the ticket for pdf manuals as well.

This will sell it for me,I mean,you'd be able to read almost real-life size documents,sifting through them with your fingers,not to mention the potential of the iBooks Store...............I already tend to read manuals,paper headlines and comic strips on the iPhone,which is great,the iPad is only more specific at it and better,no doubt,than reading from a browser on a lap top.

Then again,pricing will be crucial this time.