Logic 9 project crashing on tower but not laptop [SOLVED]

djjessebrooks

You mean the same project works OK on one machine and not on the other? Maybe you have a bad preferences file. That file is here:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist

Quit Logic, then move this file to the desktop, then relaunch Logic. Is the problem solved? If yes, you had a bad preferences file. If not, quit Logic and put the file back where you found it (replacing the new one that Logic just created).

If you get rid of the preferences file, you're losing any prefs and key commands you set up (and you'll also be losing any 'favorites' checkmarks that you created in the Apple Loop browser). The key commands can be preserved if you understand how to Export and Import key commands (see p. 196; the pdf manual is available via here).

Edited by 45rpm

Aside from the other good questions that were asked, I wonder what would happen if you try it with a new OSX user on the tower. And Repair Permissions and Verify Disk is always a good idea.

You could also try disconnecting all external devices. I especially mean any audio interface (just temporarily use the built-in audio) but also any midi devices and even hard drives. Might as well.

And here's an idea for how to narrow down the problem. Create two copies of the file. In one copy, delete half the tracks. In the other copy, delete the other half. If you're lucky, one of these files will work. Repeat. Even if you have lots of tracks, this process might allow you to find the offending track pretty quickly. On the other hand, the problem may not reside on one specific track. But this might be worth a try.

Disabled any failed plugs.

If possible, you might want to try temporarily disabling all non-Apple plugs.

I did create a new user on the tower and the project played back fine.

Good. That's an important clue. It strongly suggests that the problem is somewhere in here:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/

Because that folder is completely ignored when you're using a different OSX user.

I like Kent's idea. I would also trash this:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache

I would also look in here:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

That's a secondary location for plugins. I think you should have them mostly here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

So see if you have anything lurking in the secondary plugins folder.

I suppose it's possible that there's a problem in these places:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations

And this is a long shot, but I would also look in here:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Components

There might be some stuff in there related to Quicktime.

And it's also possible that there might be a problem in here somewhere:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Logic

In particular, I think I would toss this folder:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Logic/Temp

If you see something that looks suspicious, but you're not sure it's OK to throw it out, you could move it somewhere temporarily (like the desktop). Then I think I would log out and log in again (the Log Out command is on the Apple menu), and see what happens.