Logic asks for License everytime I reboot my OS?

Guitarfreak

When I read this, it sounded promising. Because the machine I'm using right now never had L8 on it, and I don't get the corefoundationunknownerr. Whereas David does get that error, and I figure his machine used to have (and maybe still has) L8.

My machine is a new fresh Logic 9 install - never got Logic 8 on this system drive. Logic 9.0 then 9.0.1 then 9.0.2 then 9.1. And I am getting the error.

Well, as they say.....

"That kinda blows that lil'old theory.. out of the water"

:)

This is odd though.. and there has to be some difference that causes one machine to error and one to bring up the new info dialog. Can't think what it could be here though.... Just to add further info, my MBP which has seen v7, v8 and now v9 doesn't give me an error either....

My own Google search has proved fruitless too so I'm currently doing a Usenet search because I am thinking it may have been in one of those groups that I read about this (This will take some time though) ... and also checking out a couple of other possibilities such as a private email based discussion group I belong to... just in case.. I wish I could recall how the subject came up because I am sure it wasn't in a direct way but related to something else entirely.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/files/alert2_159.png

That is what pops up on my machine. And yes 45, once I input and force quit and reopen I do not need to re-input serial until I reboot the drive. I used to have LP8 on my system, but now I use LE9. Or L9E because LE sounds too much like FailTools haha. How do I delete LP8 from my system and ensure that it is gone for good so that it no longer causes problems with the new version? Assuming that is what is causing the problems from what I am reading here.

there has to be some difference that causes one machine to error and one to bring up the new info dialog

I agree. And I think I see what the pattern is. The problem occurs with 10.5, but not 10.6. You and I are both using the latter, and we see no problem. David is using 10.5, so he sees the problem. And a report here tends to confirm this theory. And the theory is consistent with various other messages in the various threads I've mentioned.

So, to summarize: serialization information for Logic 9 is stored in the ProAppsSystemID file. And if this file is missing, for whatever reason, this is not supposed to be a big problem. What's supposed to happen is that the next time you launch Logic, you are prompted to enter your serial, and then Logic creates the file.

But under certain conditions, this doesn't work right. Under those conditions, instead of presenting the re-serialization dialog, Logic gets stuck with an error ("corefoundationunknownerr"). And then you have no way to enter your serial, and no way to launch Logic.

And what are those conditions, where this problem happens? If you are using OSX 10.5 with Logic 9.1 and the ProAppsSystemID file has gone missing (for whatever reason).

Here are some choices for how to deal with that situation:

- upgrade to 10.6

- recover your ProAppsSystemID file from a backup

- find a copy of L9 that is prior to 9.1 (either 9.0.0, 9.0.1 or 9.0.2). Launch that, and it will give you a chance to enter your serial. This will have the effect of recreating your ProAppsSystemID file, and then you can launch 9.1 and go merrily on your way.

my MBP which has seen v7, v8 and now v9 doesn't give me an error either

You haven't said, but I think that machine is running 10.6. Right? You better say yes, otherwise my theory falls apart!

How do I delete LP8 from my system and ensure that it is gone for good so that it no longer causes problems with the new version? Assuming that is what is causing the problems from what I am reading here.

I think your prior LP8 has no connection with your problem. I think you have some sort of disk corruption. What happens when you run Verify Disk? You haven't said. Also, you should run Repair Permissions again, until it comes up with a list of warnings that is the same as what it came up with the prior time.

Also, refer to what I said above about booting from a different drive.

You should realize that the problem you're having is separate from another problem that's being discussed in this thread ("corefoundationunknownerr"). Although the problems are related, because they both have to do with serialization. If you feel jealous and you'd like to have that other problem, you could achieve that by upgrading to LE 9.1. On the other hand, you can't do that, because I think LE 9.1 doesn't exist yet.

Anyway, that other problem is even worse than the problem you actually have, so right now you should avoid 9.1 (whenever it ends up being released) until you fix the problem that you've got.

I think your prior LP8 has no connection with your problem. I think you have some sort of disk corruption. What happens when you run Verify Disk? You haven't said. Also, you should run Repair Permissions again, until it comes up with a list of warnings that is the same as what it came up with the prior time.

Ran Verify Disc, it says "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok"

You haven't said, but I think that machine is running 10.6. Right? You better say yes, otherwise my theory falls apart!

Right.. 10.6.2.. so your theory remains intact! :)

If I have some spare time tomorrow, one of my Minis still has 10.5.8 on it and so Ill do a clean install of LP9 on it, do the 'test', see what happens... and report back.

Guitarfreak, it would be a great help to the whole community, both the people with the same problem as you and the people trying to help you, if you could please add your system info to your signature:

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

That is a good point, I can't believe I didn't have it there. I do remember changing my sig here a while back so I probably forgot to add it back, thanks for the remind.

Ran Verify Disc, it says "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok"

I'm sorry to hear that.

OK, back here I made a suggestion about checking the permissions on your ProApps folder. Could you try that? Let us know if you don't understand how to do it.

And did you try running Repair Permissions more than once? And after you ran it, have you tried rebooting the machine to see if the problem still persists?

Right.. 10.6.2.. so your theory remains intact!

At least for the moment! Good, thanks for letting me know.

one of my Minis still has 10.5.8 on it and so Ill do a clean install of LP9 on it, do the 'test', see what happens

I think there is a quick and dirty way to do this. Just grab the Logic 9.1 app from your Apps folder on your main machine, and copy it to the mini. Hell, you could even try launching the app from over the network, without even copying it to the mini. But before you do it, just make sure the mini has no ProAppsSystemID file.

In other words, I think there is no need to bother with the Logic installer. Unless there are other reasons you want a proper Logic installation on the mini.

2006 Intel iMac

OSX Leopard 10.5.8

Logic Express 9.0.1

As 45rpm surmised....

I appreciate the endorsement of my mind-reading skills, but this one is a little unfair. That is, you're giving me too much credit. He already told us he was on 10.5. And I knew he was not on Logic 9.1, because LE 9.1 doesn't exist yet. But thanks anyway, I appreciate all compliments, even the ones I haven't earned!

But I think it's true that if LE 9.1 existed, and he was using it, he would be having the corefoundationunknownerr problem, which is a worse problem than the problem he has.

OK, back here I made a suggestion about checking the permissions on your ProApps folder. Could you try that? Let us know if you don't understand how to do it.

And did you try running Repair Permissions more than once? And after you ran it, have you tried rebooting the machine to see if the problem still persists?

Have indeed run repair permissions a few times, but haven't rebooted yet. Here is what manually checking the permissions on that folder returns.

ProApps.thumb.jpg.0006b48d5b49582ea8f9ca2b11fa85f3.jpg

Darn it, that's also disappointing. Those permissions look correct.

OK, I think you need to do the restart in order to know whether or not the problem persists (because maybe Repair Permissions fixed it).

If the problem persists, the only other idea I have is what I said above about booting from a different drive.

On second thought, I do have another idea. If the nearest Apple Store isn't too far away, drag your machine in there and demonstrate your problem to someone at the Genius Bar. I have been impressed with them, and I bet they will think of something that none of us here have thought of.

Another choice is to live with the situation the way it is. After all, you probably don't restart your machine that much. But watch out for 9.1 when it comes along, because I think it will make your problem worse.

New Developments!

Well actually a lack of developments thereof, but confirmation anyways. After checking and verifying permissions and everything else in this thread I rebooted TWICE, and both times Logic prompted me for serialization. After which, much to my expectations, the program crashed and needed to be force quit.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them haha.

Do you think that this problem could stem from a corrupt HD?

No. Problems that are called "corrupt HD" fall into two classes: hardware and software. It's not unusual for a hard drive to develop a hardware failure, after years of use, but the symptoms would usually be different from what you're seeing. Either the machine would refuse to start, or you would be having random freezes in lots of different programs (and where the whole machine would freeze, not just one program). Or you would be having strange error messages when opening and saving files in different programs. In contrast, this problem of yours is narrow and specific. Are you having freezes in other programs, or are things working normally, in general? I assume the latter.

And on the software side, sometimes "corrupt HD" means a problem with the directory structure on the drive. This sort of thing used to be much more common in the days of OS 9. But with OS X, it's rare. And when Disk Utility tells you the disk directory structure is OK, I find that you can trust that.

So I don't think that either form of "corrupt HD" applies, in this instance.

OK, here's another idea. Maybe your ProApps folder is somehow damaged, even though Disk Utility didn't detect the damage. So try moving your ProApps folder to the desktop. Then restart, and launch Logic, and enter your serial. Maybe he will create a new folder, and put a new ProAppsSystemID file inside.

Remember that the key thing you're looking for is for Logic to create the ProAppsSystemID file. It should create that file the instant you press OK, after you enter your serial number. That's the heart of your problem, that Logic is not creating that file. So I suggest you keep an eye on that folder as you try different things.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned. Maybe your Logic app itself is damaged. You could try trashing it and reinstalling it.

When did this problem first start happening? Was it in connection with an upgrade from L8 to L9? Was it in connection with any other change, like new software or peripherals?

Speaking of peripherals, try disconnecting all external devices (audio interfaces, midi, hard drives etc).

I have a couple of other new ideas, but they're a little more elaborate, so let's stick with these, for now. I'm sure eventually you'll solve the problem if you keep at it.

Well I did have a problem for a while where I was kicked off Admin status for no reason and the computer would not accept my user password. This was assumed to be a corrupt HD problem of some kind, as well as a few other things that all seemed to point to HD problems, some of which were directly related to the OS being able to write or allocate certain files. I'm just saying, it's not looking good in this case.

On a side note, I moved the folder to desktop and re-authorized Logic, no reboot, and Logic did create the folder, yes, but there is nothing in it. Logic crashed... Exactly what do I lose by deleting the app? Only the app? Or the preferences as well? I am fairly sure that my software is registered with Apple, if I delete and reinstall do I have to re-register with Apple? And to fully delete the app to start fresh what do I have to do, go to applications and trash the icon, or is it more complex than that?

Well I did have a problem for a while where I was kicked off Admin status for no reason and the computer would not accept my user password. This was assumed to be a corrupt HD problem of some kind

Assumed by whom? That particular symptom doesn't strike me as a corrupt HD.

a few other things that all seemed to point to HD problems, some of which were directly related to the OS being able to write or allocate certain files

That's vague, I don't know how to interpret that.

Logic did create the folder, yes, but there is nothing in it.

That's interesting. Logic is trying to create that file, but for some reason it can't.

Exactly what do I lose by deleting the app? Only the app?

You shouldn't lose anything by deleting the app. You're only getting rid of the app itself. But first make sure you understand how to replace it with a fresh copy. You can do that either via the Logic installer, or via Pacifist. You want to pay attention to the version of the old app, so you can make sure that one way or another you end up with the same version when you replace it.

A nice safe approach is to put the old app on the desktop, and then install a new copy of the app, and then make sure the new copy works, and then put the old one in the trash and empty the trash.

Or the preferences as well?

Your preferences are stored separately. They are here:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist

But now that you mention it, that's something else you should try. Restart your machine. Put that file on the desktop. Launch Logic. See if he creates the ProAppsSystemID file.

I think this is something you should try that I guess you haven't tried, so I think you should do this before you do anything else.

I am fairly sure that my software is registered with Apple, if I delete and reinstall do I have to re-register with Apple?

No, definitely not.

And to fully delete the app to start fresh what do I have to do, go to applications and trash the icon, or is it more complex than that?

Logic is made up of different bits and pieces stored in different places, but I think in this situation the part that matters is the app itself. So at this point that's the part you should replace. But first try what I said about moving the prefs file.

Apple's official Reinstall instructions for Logic 8 or 9 differ almost completely depending on if you are running Leopard or Snow Leopard

That's because Apple changed the concept of 'receipts' in Snow Leopard. Receipts have to do with the system keeping track of what software has been installed. This helps Software Update figure out what new things it needs to download for you. Users normally never have to pay any attention to the concept of receipts and how they work, but a nice explanation is here. I think most likely this isn't really connected to what we're discussing.

OK, here's an idea that hasn't been mentioned yet. Create a new OS X user account (in System Preferences/Accounts). Restart (or login) as that user, and see if you can get Logic to create that ProAppsSystemID file for you.

This is a bit of a long shot, because that file is stored in a place that is shared by all users. That's why I didn't suggest this before. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible that there's something in your main user library folder (Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library) that is interfering with Logic's ability to write that file (even though that's not where it's trying to put the file). When you log in as a new, fresh user, your old user library folder is bypassed, and a fresh new one is used, instead.

Anyway, this is an easy thing to try, so at this point I figure you might as well. And this is a good troubleshooting technique in general, so it won't hurt to understand how to do it.

And have you tried disconnecting all peripherals? That is, all devices connected with USB or Firewire, especially any sort of audio and/or midi device?

Assumed by whom? That particular symptom doesn't strike me as a corrupt HD.

It was a few isolated incidences spread out over time with different things tried and nothing working such as this thread here. They all pointed to HD problems and possible corruption. Disk Utility used to come up with "Macintosh HD needs to be repaired' instead of my previous result, idk why it is working for the time being, but it used to be in dire shape. At one point my OS wouldn't even boot. The clincher is that of all these different problems were presented to different groups of people and all seemed to point in the direction of a bad HD independently and without knowledge of eachother or what had happened in the past.

But first make sure you understand how to replace it with a fresh copy.

All I would do is to move the application to the trash and reboot then insert the disc and start again. If it is more involved to ensure a clean install then I don't know.

Speaking of receipts and traces and all that, how do I get rid of the ones that I do not need? Back when I was new to Logic I used a cracked version to see if I liked the interface and see if I could learn how to use it. I have been legitimate for a while now however, and I would like to delete the traces of using downloaded software. Maybe this is causing some software/permissions conflicts somewhere in root files or directories maybe?

Disk Utility used to come up with "Macintosh HD needs to be repaired'

That's something that should happen rarely or never. If it has happened to you more than once, I agree that maybe there is a hardware problem with your drive.

At one point my OS wouldn't even boot.

That's also something that should never happen, and you're right that it is often a sign of a hardware problem with the drive.

Are you keeping good backups at this point? Because my experience with failing drives is that it's only a matter of time before you experience a complete and sudden failure.

All I would do is to move the application to the trash and reboot then insert the disc and start again.

Yes, correct. By "disc" I assume you mean the Logic install disk.

And I wouldn't put the old app in the trash right away. I would just move it to the desktop. Then once I was sure the new app was working, I would put the old app in the trash and empty the trash.

Speaking of receipts and traces and all that, how do I get rid of the ones that I do not need? … Maybe this is causing some software/permissions conflicts somewhere in root files or directories maybe?

I think this is not an issue at all, and you shouldn't worry about it.

An idea that I mentioned above that I think you should try is booting from an external drive. Also try creating a new user.