Mainstage 2 Looping and Playback Setup Tutorial Videos

sam_squarewave

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I've made a few videos showing a way to set Loopback and Playback for synced live looping. The new version is pretty nice - and best of all, hasn't crashed while playing.

http://www.samgreene.com/drupal_samgreene/mainstage2-and-loopback

Hello,

what do you think about group ?

Just for playback it's ok, but when we group LoopBack and PlayBack, it's not the same. Crash systematic.

you tested ?

Thank you,

J.Mdad

• 3 months later...
Hi,

I've made a few videos showing a way to set Loopback and Playback for synced live looping. The new version is pretty nice - and best of all, hasn't crashed while playing.

http://www.samgreene.com/drupal_samgreene/mainstage2-and-loopback

Hello,

what do you think about group ?

Just for playback it's ok, but when we group LoopBack and PlayBack, it's not the same. Crash systematic.

you tested ?

Thank you,

J.Mdad

I don't know what you mean by "Group" - could you explain?

On playback and mainstage, there is a function group, in bottom on the right.

When 2 playback are on group 1 they react together to the various commands, stop, play...

There is the same on loopback.

since version 2, that functions on loopback.

I have a question;

tested with loopback with sync " off " and the function " set concert tempo after first take "

after the rec, when loopback is playing, there is a "crak " and the loop is ok but don't start immediately.

this problem takes place when mainstage is running.

I would like to have your opinion it above

thank you,

J.Marc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, how about a video showing how to use the MainStage looper the way guitarists and performers use hardware loopers: with no click track or recording over a preset tempo. That is, you tap a button to start a loop, play your part, then tap a button to "close" the loop and play it. The loop must close cleanly and on time.

Then, you can choose to either play that loop, overdub on it, or pause it. If you pause it, it must start instantly at the top of the loop. Further, you need to be able to add other loops that synch to the 1st (master) loop.

Can you make a video to show Loopback as a looper? Can Loopback be used as a looper? Because I can't make it work as one.

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered the looper in mainstage and I'm pretty pleased so far. I think I'll finally be able to build the looper I've always wanted. I think I need to make a feature request to allow automatic or MIDI controlled exporting of loops though. What if we had a "convert loopback to new playback track" command?!

I'm working on a three stage looper now. My external audio and soft synths will go to an aux channel with 4 loopbacks, which will go to an another aux with 4 loopbacks, which will go to another aux with 4 loopbacks and I'm hoping if things go right I can mute the output of the second aux and then send the loopbacks on aux 3 back onto aux 1. In this way I'll have unlimited resampling ability.

I have a limited version of this setup in hardware with a few different loopers and I love composing this way. I'm itching for more control of the audio after the fact though.

The hardest part so far is getting the multi-mapping setup correctly(famous last words? :lol: ) . I wish there were preconfigured commands for stop + clear and things like that. I'm not a huge fan of Loopback remembering your loop length. It should be optional, I think.

I enjoy Live a lot, but I've never been entirely pleased with it for a variety of reasons. I hope this works out!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
just found this http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/index.html

looks like it could be a bit better than the loopback.

Sooperlooper is pretty powerful. And for the most part it's complete. I've been using it for several months, and it's no less stable than Mainstage itself lately. Can't use it in 64 bit mode, though, which bites when you've maxed out your system to handle lots of long loops.

I would recommend MIDI mapping your controller in SL not Mainstage. Set up and tweak your SL set up on an aux channel and save the channel strip. That will capture all of the SL settings too and save a bunch of time on your next project.

• 5 weeks later...

Sooperlooper is pretty great - and way easier to get mapped than loopback if you need more than one loop, and who doesn't? Somehow I've not subscribed to this thread, but I have a video showing how to use SL in mainstage. http://www.audiopropellor.com/mainstage-and-sooperlooper/ . You have to sign up for free though.

The author of sooperlooper is awesome and will make improvements sometimes when requested!