software instrument track default EVP 88 [SOLVED]

display

The OP is referring to the new feature in Logic 9.1.1, that when you create a new software instrument track it automatically loads an EVP88 in it. If you untick Open Library in the New Tracks dialog, then it doesn't load the EVP88.

Aahh! Thanks Jordito. I had no idea he was on 9.1.1. Still on 9.0.2 here. Sounds like a strange "new feature". That would annoy me too.

Peace

No, not a bug, but a new feature. So that when you create a software instrument track you can immediately play the track, which can be useful for troubleshooting or if you quickly want to lay down some ideas.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want that feature? Inserting a new instrument is still done the same way as it used to be, except before you do, rather than have total silence, you have a cool electric piano sound. As 00420 answered, there's no need to delete the EVP88 first, just insert your new instrument. Where's the problem?

You're welcome, onewave.

Here's another related tip posted by beej in the "Logic Pro and Express 9.1.1 Available" thread (though it originally comes from a thread in the apple discussions forum...posted by JG99) :P :

Logic Pro and Express 9.1.1 Available

"If you prefer having a blank SI channel strip, even when 'open library' is ticked -

1) Quit Logic.

2) Go to: Library/Applications support/Logic/Channel strip settings/Instrument/01 Logic Instruments/

3) Rename the EVP88 Electric Piano.cst to some other name of your choice.

Restart Logic and create a new software instrument track. It is nice and empty"

Here's the link to both threads:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=55198&start=20

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2370997&tstart=0&messageID=11242862#11242862

J.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want that feature?

I agree 100%. What good is a Software Instrument track which contains no instrument? I'm often grabbing chunks of audio from all sorts of places, and I want to check the pitch (not just to know the key, but also to evaluate the tuning; I'm always surprised at how many records deviate from A=440). I like to be able to grab a simple piano to help me do this, and now that just became easier. I used to keep a simple piano preset at the top of the Library, for this exact purpose. Now I don't really need that anymore.

The only possible issue would be if it took extra time to load the default instrument. But it seems pretty instantaneous.

I just wish I could do it without opening the Library. Minor issue, though. It's easy enough to hit option-L.

• 3 months later...

Just got really annoyed by this new "feature" so thought I'd respond why.

I just upgraded from PPCG5 to McBookPro I7. Love it. And am now using Logic 9.1.1 instead of 9.0.2.

This new "feature" was really annoying until I found this thread to disable it.

The question was asked why wouldn't you want an instrument track loaded for you upon track creation... because it names the track EVP88 thats why. So I'd have to not only still pick the instrument I WANT but also would have to rename the track to what the instrument I chose actually is. Thats why. This new feature just seems to create more work... not less.

• 1 month later...

The question was asked why wouldn't you want an instrument track loaded for you upon track creation... because it names the track EVP88 thats why. So I'd have to not only still pick the instrument I WANT but also would have to rename the track to what the instrument I chose actually is. Thats why. This new feature just seems to create more work... not less.

I have to agree. Especially about having to rename the software instrument track once you switch the instrument. That should be fixed. In theory, this feature is good.

Glad to have found this post!

I have to agree. Especially about having to rename the software instrument track once you switch the instrument. That should be fixed. In theory, this feature is good.

If you are choosing instruments via the Library or Click Holding on Setting and choosing an instrument through its menu the track name changes automatically.

Hey, why is this a concern for you? According to your signature you are still on Logic 8.0.2.

Hey, why is this a concern for you? According to your signature you are still on Logic 8.0.2.

Hey thanks for pointing that out. I just bought Logic 9, and I'm finally getting a chance to work on it (I work mostly in Pro Tools 8. Where exactly are you talking about "Click Holding on Setting and choosing an instrument through its menu the track name changes automatically"

Also, in regards to the Logic's library, can I import all of my EW Play libraries and Native Instrument Libraries into Logic's library tab? Most of the virtual instruments that I use are the one's I've built in Kontakt 4.

• 2 weeks later...

This feature has annoyed me for a good while now since an upgrade or another. Many thanks to Jordito for the solution. David, I think the reason I and many other users wouldn't want this as a default is that it adds an extra step every time you load a new software instrument track, and we know where to find the EVP in the list. (I have the biggie monitor and keep the library pane open) Or two steps, I guess, if you're renaming. Most of the time I know darn well what I want when I go to add a new track, which I do a hecka lot of. Most of them are 3rd-party. Thankfully, this frustration seems to be over.

Not to slag the EVP—it's loaded in all of my custom templates, and it is a lovely and versatile piece of software.

Say, is there a way to define which instrument will be created?

For example, if I wanted an instance of Alchemy to come up automatically instead of EVP 88 could I set the preference to that desired VI?

That would be very useful, especially since everyone has a different opinion of what VI they like (at that moment at least).

Thanks. Bret

Say, is there a way to define which instrument will be created?

How to change the default instrument:

http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=24694&sid=0#24839

How to create a blank SI track:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=55198&start=20

Yes Scott, thank you.

Although, I must admit I am confused with the work around.

If I am reading that right you simply are renaming the title for the instrument track. I get confused by the other steps, I will have to check this out in more detail.

Ideally It would be best when you hit the "+" button/ new instrument track in Logic that it would allow you to choose from a drop down list of all your VI's, just like it does on the channel strip.

Then after that every time you hit "+" the setting would be on your selected VI- a simple idea.