Random midi sequence generator Thread

SeventhSelf

Hey,

Im looking for a way of creating random midi sequences. The only method i know of at the moment is through ImageLines FL Studio "Riff machine".

Basically i'de love to know how to do this on mac.

How do i create random midi sequences? Programs? Ways within Logic?

peace,

I've used cycling74's "M" periodically to generate the occasional evolving landscape type thing. I haven't used it a lot but it is very, very cool for this stuff. Check it out:

http://cycling74.com/products/m/

I believe Steve Horelick has done some algorithmic composition stuff with the Logic environment, but he doesn't want to share them, apparently. Ahem, uh, Steve, you there?

My first post here, so I´m hoping I can help.. Don´t know if this is what you are trying to achieve but the easiest way I know to do this within logic is through logic arpeggiator (set to random and then play the chords you want, that way you can also random velocities and note lenghts if you want).

have a good easter

How do i create random midi sequences?

Have you looked at Ableton Live? It has some midi effects I think might interest you, including a randomizer with a bunch of clever presets. You can check that out thoroughly via the Live 8 demo (it's here). The major limitation in the demo is that you can't save. Also, when running as a ReWire slave, the demo is limited to 30 minutes.

And I've noticed something interesting about the Live demo (when running it as a ReWire slave). At the end of the 30 minutes, Live presents a dialog saying "This version is time-limited to 30 minutes. It will quit now." Except that it doesn't, at least not until you press the OK button to dismiss the dialog. While the dialog is up, you can't change any settings in Live, but Live will continue to receive your midi from Logic, process it, and send back audio. So you have 30 minutes to setup and adjust your Live instrument (including any midi and/or audio effects), but then you can play it all day long, or forever, controlled from Logic as a host, as long as you don't need to change those settings. And of course you can be recording all that audio inside Logic.

If you're going to do this a lot, you should probably just buy the full version (for both ethical reasons and practical reasons). But the demo gives you ample opportunity to test it thoroughly so you can decide it's really worth the money.

One more thing to remember: when running in 64-bit mode, Logic does not support ReWire.

I used to use Live a lot as a standalone app, but lately I mostly just use it via ReWire, if I use it at all. Logic has gradually caught up with certain features that I used to be able to find only in Live. But I do like those midi effects. I know I can rig up more-or-less the same thing in Logic, but in Live I find it more accessible.