Wich audio regions can be transposed?

melodea

I noticed that audio regions can be transposed when they are recorded in the current project. As soon as you put them in flex mode the transposition option is not there anymore. I couldn't find anything in the manual about the topic.

Does anyone know how it works? Wich audio regions can be transposed and

in wich mode they have to be (flex, no flex etc.)

Maybe we have to wait for the next updates so we can transpose audio wether it's recorded or imported, wether it's in flex or not :roll:

melodea

OSX 10.6.3, logic 9.1.1, Mac book pro 17" 2.66 intel core 2 [/b]

I tried again and again....seems that the only time you can reliably transpose audio is when you record audio in a project and leave it untouched by flex audio.

You could, if want audio to be easily stretched in time and pitch, save it as apple loop. Voilà! I tried it with different length of audiofiles and it seems to work fine with not too long material ;-( So, I think transposable flexed audio is something to look forward to in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
Seems like the transposition option only appears if you have turned Flex on after the recording, then turned it back off.

Btw, once you merge audio regions, the option to follow tempo and transpose are disabled. Even if you try to detect tempo, transpose is still disabled. I think it's a bug and it's really annoying.

Seems like the transposition option only appears if you have turned Flex on after the recording, then turned it back off.

If you've just created a recording and you want the transposition option to appear, there's a slightly easier way to make that happen. Just click on the checkbox for Follow Tempo.

once you merge audio regions, the option to follow tempo and transpose are disabled. Even if you try to detect tempo, transpose is still disabled. I think it's a bug and it's really annoying.

I think it's fair to call that a bug, but it's easily addressed.

Most audio that Logic sees as non-transposable can be easily converted into audio that Logic sees as transposable. Here's how you do it. Select the non-transposable region. On the Arrange local menu, select Audio > Open in Apple Loops Utility. (If a dialog appears, just press the default button.) In ALU, select Looping. Press command-S. Press command-tab to switch back to Logic. Your region is now transposable.

In some instances, the length of the region will change. If so, just uncheck Follow Tempo, and that problem will be corrected. Transposition will still be available.

If you want to preserve the Follow Tempo feature, but also notice that the region length (i.e., tempo) is wrong, just turn on Flex. In most cases, the region will snap to the proper, original length automatically. If not, just grab the top-right corner and stretch it yourself. When the color turns neutral, you'll know you have reached the proper length.

This procedure is related to the procedure I referenced here. In both situations, we're using ALU to create a looping Apple Loop. What's interesting about your situation is that we're creating a looping Apple Loop even though we have no intention of ever looping it. We're strictly interested in some other qualities that happen to be possessed by looping Apple Loops: Follow Tempo and Transposition.

By the way, above I say "most audio" only because there are some extra steps required if the audio material is more than about four minutes long. But if you're filled with an urge to transpose, say, Alice's Restaurant (18:34), you can do that, using a slight variation on the above procedure.

You could, if want audio to be easily stretched in time and pitch, save it as apple loop.

Correct. But usually when we create an Apple Loop that we actually intend to use as a loop, we use Region > Add to Apple Loops Library. And when we do it that way, Logic makes the Looping button unavailable unless certain conditions are met. This is a problem. The procedure I described above gets around this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
I dont wanna compare apples to crab apples. But that was one of the things I really liked about Acid Music back in the day. You could throw any media in there hit plus or minus and transpose it up or down on the fly. Ableton transposes audio really easily. I know logic is a really powerful DAW but some of the work arounds to get the task done mess with the creative flow.

• 2 months later...

Bumping to say I just ran into the same issue. I had a bunch of audio regions cut up from Apple loops and rearranged, but as soon as I time stretch them, I suddenly can't transpose them anymore. It's really frustrating!

The more I use Logic, the more I'm starting to realize that I'm constantly fighting it when I try to do simple things that should be easy and intuitive in any modern DAW. Apple is normally really on point when usability is concerned. I hope they fix these issues and make working in Logic nicer, otherwise I'm going to jump ship.