EXS24 takes forever to load in Logic Pro 9.1.1 [SOLVED]

Guy Gizmo

I've been having a really frustrating problem in Logic Pro 9.1.1 where most, but not all, EXS24 instruments either take upwards of 15 or 20 minutes to load, or never finish loading at all.

I just got a new Mac Pro with a totally fresh installation of Snow Leopard on it, and I installed Logic Pro 9 and all of its extra content and the Garageband Jam Packs normally. Everything was installed to its default location, which means all of the EXS24 samples are somewhere in /Library/Application Support/.

It seems to hang looking for a few specific audio files, and near as I can tell it keeps scanning my entire filesystem looking for them. Once an instrument is finished loading, every time I try to load it afterwards it takes no time at all. But most of them haven't been loaded yet because this is a new setup, and as I said, some of them never finish loading at all.

I searched this forum and google extensively trying to look for an answer, and one I found was to force the Spotlight index to rebuild using a program like Onyx. I did so, restarted my computer, and it made absolutely no difference.

The only other solution I've found was to get a program called Redmatica EXS Manager and have it somehow fix all of the EXS24 instruments. But the program isn't free and I just blew all of my available money getting this new computer and all of its software, so that's not an option for me, at least not for a while. And I want to believe that I don't need a piece of commercial 3rd party software to Logic Pro 9 to be at all usable.

Does anyone know any other solutions to this? I'm practically pulling my hair out, and I've lost many hours of what should have been quality productive time just trying to get this one problem fixed.

Edited by Guy Gizmo

I searched this forum and google extensively trying to look for an answer, and one I found was to force the Spotlight index to rebuild using a program like Onyx.

You don't need a program like Onyx to re-index Spotlight. I don't know if this will make a difference or not but its worth a try. Try re-indexing Spotlight this way:

Go into System Preferences > Spotlight > Exlusions. Check if your hard drive is in that list. If it isn't, and it still isn't working, add the drive to that list, log out/in, remove the drive from the list, and let Spotlight re-index the drive.

You don't need a program like Onyx to re-index Spotlight. I don't know if this will make a difference or not but its worth a try. Try re-indexing Spotlight this way:

Go into System Preferences > Spotlight > Exlusions. Check if your hard drive is in that list. If it isn't, and it still isn't working, add the drive to that list, log out/in, remove the drive from the list, and let Spotlight re-index the drive.

I don't think there's any difference in the manner that you rebuild your spotlight index. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Along with Onyx I tried doing it via the command line using "sudo mdutil -E /" but that didn't help either. Also, I can find the files Logic is hanging on via Spotlight if I search for its name and make sure "Include system files" is on, so it's not like they're not in the index.

I don't know if this will make a difference or not but its worth a try.

I don't think there's any difference in the manner that you rebuild your spotlight index.

How do you know? Did you try it? It certainly will not hurt and then we'll know.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens, but it'll take a little while. I'll report back as soon as I have any results.

Gizmo,

After searching this site it seems there are others who have encountered problems after upgrading to Snow Leopard (which is the main reason I'm still using Leopard). Here is a thread regarding issues with loading plug-ins (I know your issue is with SW instruments). Again, I don't know if this will help solve your problem but it might lead you to formulate some conclusions.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57415

and here's another

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57725

• 5 months later...

This is a while after the fact, but....

I finally found the solution to this problem! I stumbled across a post on here about a similar but different issue, and it turns out my problem was that I had a Windows NTFS partition mounted. As soon as I unmounted it, everything loads nice and fast!

I should probably send a bug report to Apple about this, since it was a really, REALLY frustrating problem for the longest time.

I finally found the solution to this problem! I stumbled across a post on here about a similar but different issue, and it turns out my problem was that I had a Windows NTFS partition mounted. As soon as I unmounted it, everything loads nice and fast!

I should probably send a bug report to Apple about this, since it was a really, REALLY frustrating problem for the longest time.

In my case logic would sometimes get stuck at "loading EXS instruments" but I never used EXS.. It turned out that my motu firewire audio interface needed to be reset. Error messages can definitely be misleading.

Oh my god..stumbled about this here and what can i say.. you are so awesome!! this fixes my problems with the exs24. Hurray!! :)