I/O labels problem

davidsanction

Hi Logic gurus,

I am having to change my I/O labels every time i open logic. I have to choose "reset all". Its very irritating. Does anyone know how to make my "reset all" setting permanent?

Once it is changed, it stays the way i want it if i open a new project. Once i close logic, however, it forgets. On starting logic up again, it goes back to the settings "provided by driver". In my case the driver is for an MBox 2 PRO. These comes up as, for example, "in Analog" in the mixer (i.e with no number). There is insufficient space for the number to fit in the input and output tabs. This slows down my workflow. I want my I/O labels to stay the way i want them and not revert every time i close and reopen Logic. How is this done?

Thanks a lot!

D S

• 1 year later...

Check your permissions - it sounds like Logic cannot write that file, which is why it reverts when you quit and restart Logic.

Also you could try in a different user account and see if your labels stick then...

I found out that since Logic 9.1 or 9.1.1 the IO Labels are stored in the preference file "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist" not in" ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/IOLabels Core Audio".

But if you do have the IOLabel file present then Logic will use the IOLabel file only and not the labels in the preference file.

The problem with this is that if you make a change in your labels they will never show up when you restart Logic because the changes were written in the preference file and NOT in the IO Label file.

The solution I did was to get rid of the IOLabel file like David suggested, start Logic and rewrite my IO labels from scratch (maybe there's a better way to do this?) and now all is well and any changes I make are permanent.

Again this is for Logic 9.1 and/or 9.1.1.

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

I/O labels can only be changed if I quit my current Logic and its project and open Logic again and create a new Untitled project (the old IOLabels Core Audio file is deleted).

This is utterly silly!

I need to have different I/O labels depending on the project I am working on e.g. Film Scoring or Pop Music project. And above all I need to be able to change those labels within the project I am working on.

I cannot everytime I need to set-up a new bus, quit my project and open an untitled project in order to alter the I/O labels. Imagine the time this costs me (not my clients as how should I morally justify to bill them for an Apple bug?)

How to make this work?

Unfortunately the I/O labels are global (common to ALL projects).

I would also like to have labels per project.

Another thing to add to the Logic 10 wish list.

StFoldex you don't have to open an empty project to change the labels, you can can change them in your current project, but they will remain for all projects.

Until Apple have sorted out this no-brainer, you have to do the house-keeping yourself:

- duplicate your current generic Labels Core Audio file to a place you can remember

- change the IO settings in Logic and quit Logic (only then will the changes be written into the file)

- duplicate the now changed original IO Labels Core Audio file (not the safety duplicate) into your Project folder

- move on

- when you come back to this Project, quit Logic

- duplicate the IO file from your Project folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/IO Labels Core Audio

- launch the Project

Christian

• 1 month later...

I've done similar to what Christian suggests, only a bit more generic. Over time I've had a "spreading" bus/group mix setup, as originally I had busses 9-16 for grouping/sub mixing my fx, vox, synth, bass, separate drums, loops, bd, and now I have it 9-20, I've separated some more things to the final 10-12 busses and I always have those the same for any project. In ~Library/Application Support/Logic I have created 'IOLabels' folder with subfolders for each configuration ie. 'busses 9-16', 'busses 9-18', 'busses 9-20' where I have the different IOLabels Core Audio files saved accordingly. I just pull the one I need to the root of the Logic folder and I have the busses named how I want them to. All great, except...

...after 9.1.2 (where I came from 9.0.2) I am not able to use those anymore. I have an 'IOLabels Core Audio' file in the Logic folder, but it won't read it, but I guess the prefs file (which was blank to begin with), which sucks. Now, I'm fine with retyping the current config, no probs, but I do have old projects I need to revisit from time to time, and it's pretty darn aggrevating that a feature this trivial is overlooked (and I believe trivial in this case is true, I mean building within Logic a system one can manually, yet irritatingly, handle within seconds shouldn't be a problem coding wise, right?)