Goofed and deleted channel strip settings [SOLVED]

bcfromfl

Hey everyone --

I was working on a project today, experimenting with some vocal presets. I didn't like what I was getting, and saw in the drop-down menu, "Delete channel strip." I thought this would just remove all the efx...EQ, compressor, limiter, etc...and give me back a blank slate to work with again. It wasn't until afterwards that I found I had completely removed two presets from that part of the menu! :shock:

OK, so I realize that you should never depend on presets anyway, but since I'm still learning, they do have some value. What I lost was male ambient and male creamy vocals -- it would be useful for me to compare the multitude of setting differences between these two, to understand how they are different and what the two sound like as an end result. Plus, it offends some sense of order and completeness to think that my software is somehow "less than whole" now.

Is there a way for me to restore these presets, besides uninstalling and re-installing the whole program? (NOT going to do that!)

Thanks!

-Bruce

Is there a way for me to restore these presets, besides uninstalling and re-installing the whole program? (NOT going to do that!)

Yes, use the shareware Pacifist.

45rpm explains what you need to do in this thread. (you could skip the part where he recommends to drag the file to the appropriate folder, and instead select the file inside pacifist and press install)

Next time, click on "Reset Channel Strip".

J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, Jordito --

I'm sorry to ask for more help, but I've installed Pacifist, and followed what I believed to be the right protocol. I found the two missing files, and first tried

"Extract To"...but that did nothing. Next, I tried "Install"...but that didn't result in the files appearing in the channel strip settings, despite the messages that appeared asking if I wished to overwrite identical file positions in both Mainstage and Logic. I know it's difficult to try to diagnose what I'm doing wrong via a message board. Any ideas?

Buzwah -- thanks for your suggestion. What's Time Machine?

-Bruce

The easiest way to confirm everything went right is to open the folder where the channel strip settings are supposed to go:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track/06 Voice/03 Male Voice/

(Quickest way to get to this location is to enter it the Go To Folder window in the Finder's "Go" menu...Shift+Command+G is the shortcut)

You need to extract (or install) the 2 files that appear selected in my screenshot, nothing else....and you need to select them before you click on Extract To... or Install.

So, try again:

Select the 2 files (not the ones that start with 001, as those are part of Mainstage patches and are slightly different) and extract them to your desktop....then move them manually to the correct location.

J.

Thanks, jordito! I don't seem to have the path you described. The only place I can find the "03" files is under MainStage patches. Under Library/ApplicationSupport/Logic I have three choices: "Chord Grids", "Key Commands", and "Project Templates".

If I use the search feature, the MainStage patches location is the only one that comes up. When I followed the file path you described, it comes to the dead-end above.

So, the MainStage patches are different?

Now, the above describes what I encounter on the install disk that Pacifist is working from. If I dig through the program files installed on the hard drive, I find the file path you describe, and can verify that the two files are indeed missing.

Thanks again for your patience!

-Bruce

Hi again, jordito. I've been working hard on this, trying to find the file extension within the Logic install discs. The only channel strip file folder I can find using the "Find" feature is one full of hexidecimal code. The other two files I found (with the correct names -- male ambient and male creamy) I mentioned above are "patch" files under Mainstage.

Is there a way to convert a patch file to a .cst file? I think at this point I'm way over my head, and just need to give this up...but I'd like to find a solution. I can clearly see in your screenshot that you're pulling up these .cst files, but I can't seem to get to that same place. I wish I knew how to post my own screenshots. This is maddening!!!

Thanks!

-Bruce

• 3 months later...
OK, this needs to be a sticky topic!!!! I'm sure many of us have gone through this & have had a time trying to figure out what to do.

I posted a question just like this last week & got a non-helpful answer.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=341246&highlight=#341246

What part of Christians reply was non-helpful. Did you not understand his advice? Did you take his advice and try opening a project that had the EVP88 in it and save the channel strip setting back to the proper folder?

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Looks like I goofed on this one two. Deleted Empty Church from the spaces channel strip menu.

Again, I'm new to logic and just hit delete - meaning to just remove the settings and not permanently delete it.

The problem I have is that I downloaded Logic from Apple rather than buying the discs.

Will Pacifier still work? And if so how?

Is there an alternative?

Many thanks in advance

UKG

• 6 months later...
Please help... I too goofed and deleted a channel strip setting that I use all the time. Female Voice Ensemble 01, which used to be located on my bus under 04 Groups/08 Voice Group Ensemble. I was using it on another project so I went back to that project and clicked "Save Channel Strip Setting As" but it didn't save it back to the same place, it saved it to Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Bus. I want it back in its original folder but can't seem to locate that path or how to get the setting back in its folder where all of the other original settings are located. Can you help? I am using Logic Pro 9.1.8. I am using a Mac 01.7.5

Hi

it didn't save it back to the same place, it saved it to Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Bus. I want it back in its original folder but can't seem to locate that path or how to get the setting back in its folder where all of the other original settings are located.

By default, settings that you save will go to :

: Library:Application Support etc etc, rather than the "Startup Disk (Local)" Library:Application Support etc.

You will need to go to the User Library (which is hidden by default in Lion and M Lion... use the Finder:Go menu whilst holding down Option to get to this library), and then move the setting file to where you would like it ( in the Startup Disk:Library etc

Or re-save from your old project, but navigate to the correct folder in the Save dialog box

CCT

edit:

Note that you may need to re-boot Logic, or use the 'Refresh Library" function at the bottom of the Library

I accidentally deleted a Channel Strip Setting a few weeks ago. Just like you my intention was to select reset but I chose delete by mistake. I really wish Logic would prompt you by asking; "Are You Sure?" Anyway - Buzwah mentioned Time Machine and I have to say that it has saved my bacon more than once!