MIDI Tempo Maps

madkeys

I tried your suggestion but Logic doesn't like my midi tempo map (made in Pro Tools) Its a standard midi file that cubase had no problem reading. I'm new to logic so I'm floundering here. When I try to open the midi file in a new project I get:

" Damaged Project or not a logic project ! Search for fragments !"

I thought I could just import a tempo map but obviously its not that easy. Any other suggestions ?

Hi,

I managed to open the file in Logic. At first I was getting the same errors you mentioned, so I opened it in MIDIKit (shareware) and it said there were some errors in the extension/type of file, and the tempo/time signature. So I fixed those (using MIDIKit's Fix function) and then converted the file to type 0 (it was a type 1). There's still something weird about it and i don't know if it's intentional or not: There are almost 64 bars at the beginning which have a tempo of 22.5562, and also some markers labeled Take 1, 2 and 3. After that things start to look normal.

I've attached the "fixed" file.

EDIT: I was able to open it just by converting the file to type 0 (without fixing what MIDIKit reported), so I guess if you export them as type 0 from Cubase, you should be able to open them without problems in Logic.

J.

Ain't No Love - Tempo Map - Fixed.mid.zip

I still can't get it to open in logic. I'm new to logic having been on steinberg for 25 years so forgive my ignorance of all things Logic. I made these maps in Pro Tools and they imported into cubase without a hitch, When I try to import into Logic it says "no tracks found" so I presume the import function is just for midi tracks or audio. How do I import the tempo map ? The manual is not a lot of help either!!

I was also looking for a simple beat calculator like cubase has, a 'tap' bpm calculator. The tempo interpreter is way complicated. Sometimes logic is not vey logical.

I've tried that several times and it crashes Logic. I tried it with another midi tempo map for another song and it comes up with "Damaged project or mot a Logic Pro project! Search for fragments?'. This is ridiculous. Cubase and Pro Tools have no problem's importing these files. The reason there were a number of bars of tempo all the same in that file is because there were three takes in the pro tools session and I had imported all three takes into my other DAW's. I only made a tempo map of the last take.

OK I finally got the tempo map to open in a new logic project. Now I can import the audio from pro tools. I must say there are some serious "non logical" operations in this software. Hey, I wonder if you have any knowledge of linking up my macbook pro with cubase to run in sync with the iMac running logic?

Thanks for all your help man. If you need any keys on any tracks I can help.

Tim Hinkley

OK I finally got the tempo map to open in a new logic project. Now I can import the audio from pro tools.

Glad to know you finally managed to open it.

I must say there are some serious "non logical" operations in this software.

Maybe, especially if you're used to doing it differently in other programs. However, there is a section of the manual that talks about dealing with standard MIDI files. Look up "Working with Standard MIDI Files" if you're interested.

Hey, I wonder if you have any knowledge of linking up my macbook pro with cubase to run in sync with the iMac running logic?

You really should start a new thread as that is completely unrelated to this thread's topic (as per forum rules :wink:)

Thanks for all your help man. If you need any keys on any tracks I can help.

You're welcome! Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. :)

Regards,

J.