Changing instrument mid-track

marksealey

Can I change from one instrument to another (violin arco to violin pizzicato) in the middle of a track?

I can't can I?

I could make separate Regions within a Track… arco - pizz - arco (measures 1-10, 11-15, 16-20, for example). But I can't change instruments that way, can I?

I could make separate Tracks - one beneath the other - and have 'top and bottom' Regions corresponding to measures 1-10 and 16-20 ('top'), for example, and then to measures 11-15 ('bottom').

But that won't work in the Score, which is really what I want to be right.

Am I missing something, please? Any ideas

Thanks!

Yes,as I said already.

What instruments are you using?

In Kontakt,for example,you just load all artics up in one instrument with each having its own midi channel so they respond only to those notes set to that channel.

Select the notes you want pizz and in the event list set their channel to that corresponding to the pizz in Kontakt (maybe ch 3 or whatever.

All notes stay on the same original staff,but trigger only the patch on the relevant channel.

See?

OK.

There's probably a better way,but you can create a track for each artic you want to use ,then copy the region to the tracks.

In each track,in Score,use the mute tool to stop that track playing when not required (selct the notes not to be played and apply mute).

To keep the score uncluttered uncheck Score in the inspector for all tracks except the original.

Hope that helps.

2121638434_Picture5.png.90eb19fce4b63346ae03bd96ea666401.png

Hi Mark,

In addition to the Instruments that are already set up to switch articulation via CC#1, you could also use key switching.

Copy samples from one EXS24 instrument editor into another EXS 24 instrument editor. Select and group those newly pasted in samples. Then in Group (vs Zones) editor view, pop open the editor View menu to select Group: Select Group by... which creates a new Select Group By column in the editor. In the Type column, select Note, then in the next column No. set the note to act as a key switch.

You would assign a key switch note that is below the range of the instrument e.g. C0, D0, to switch violin articulations.

Key switching allows you to have all of your notes on one MIDI track and have them magically switch articulations when needed.

This takes a bit of set up work, but the pay off is well worth it.

I could whip up some visuals in the next day or so if you're interested.

Best regards,

Wally

Wally,

Thanks a million!

I like ski's ideas in the last of those links you kindly provide.

May I play with these suggestions in the next few days and get back to you if I run into probs., please?

Essentially, I don't need to do this in real time and/or on my controller (Axiom 61, II); but I do need the score to be as close to what happens as possible… the equivalent of a 'pizz' <> 'arco' marking. And be able to hear it - which I suppose implies it has to be done in the Track via MIDI, really.

Much appreciated :-)