setting up quick monitor mix for vocals

Arwyn

Hi. This might be an obvious question, but is there a way of setting up a quick monitor mix for recording vocals etc by copying all the levels/settings in your main mix and pasting them to a bus or aux channel. Cheers

Hi. This might be an obvious question, but is there a way of setting up a quick monitor mix for recording vocals etc by copying all the levels/settings in your main mix and pasting them to a bus or aux channel. Cheers

AFAIK you cannot record on a Bus or an Aux channel strip.

You can COPY the channel strip setting and then PASTE the channel strip setting.

Maybe I missed the point of the question.

I still don't get it, perhaps you can explain.

OK.

He's looking for a function similar to Copy Fader Level to Send in Pro Tools, whereby the monitor fader positions are copied to the aux sends in order to create a foldback mix for the musicians in the studio.

Logic, unfortunately, does not have this automatic function. It has to be done individually or by copy & pasting the fader values to the sends.

What's a slow monitor mix?

When the mix has to be created by hand, rather than by an automatic function.

Hi. Thanks for the quick response. Yes i need to explain further.When I'm writng i have a working mix in the main mix window. If I then want to record vocals or any live over dubs can I copy all the channels at once to a monitor mix, i.e a duplicate of the main mix, or do I have to set each channel up seperately. That's what I meant by quick

Cheers

That is so easy to do (in the Environment). You can also use a simple Bus sent set up.

The Engineer can bang the values universally to all sub section, which can then be mixed according to the individual musicians liking.

This can be a template, or the Environment set up can be imported per project. Since everyone has a different way of doing things, the idea can be modified.

8)

http://www.becisbagsandbaskets.com/Page/uploads/images/Smily-Face-Plant.jpg <----- Smiley FacePlant (since I am not posting anything over a PG rating)

552399999_Small2.gif.352bc77dab8f593e5b3ff194ad96ba65.gif

543892918_Big3.thumb.gif.c613f7c6ef1e764720edf355d0528387.gif

How about this as an easy way to set up a quick monitor mix that starts off by mirroring your main mix:

1. Select all your channel strips in the mixer

2. Click hold on a send assignment to send to a new unused bus. Because of the multiple selection, the new bus assignment will be created on all selected channel strips.

3. With all channel strips still selected, option click on one of the send knobs. They will all snap to unity gain; about 2:00 position.

4. A new aux will automatically be generated with this new bus as the input. Set it to the physical outputs on your interface that are feeding your headphones.

With the bus sends left in post fader mode, they will all mirror the levels of thier individual channel strip faders. So your headphone mix will start by being a duplicate of your main mix. You can then adjust individual send levels as needed to tweak to the headphone mix from there.

Eli Krantzberg

How about this as an easy way to set up a quick monitor mix that starts off by mirroring your main mix:

1. Select all your channel strips in the mixer

2. Click hold on a send assignment to send to a new unused bus. Because of the multiple selection, the new bus assignment will be created on all selected channel strips.

3. With all channel strips still selected, option click on one of the send knobs. They will all snap to unity gain; about 2:00 position.

4. A new aux will automatically be generated with this new bus as the input. Set it to the physical outputs on your interface that are feeding your headphones.

With the bus sends left in post fader mode, they will all mirror the levels of thier individual channel strip faders. So your headphone mix will start by being a duplicate of your main mix. You can then adjust individual send levels as needed to tweak to the headphone mix from there.

Eli Krantzberg

See pic #1

Not ideal.

It is preferable to feed foldback mixes pre-fade so that they can be independent of the monitor faders.