anybody else getting BFD white noise bursts????

nickweston

I have had nothing but problems with BFD, it is sending out HUGE LOUD MONSTROUS bursts of white noise that are easily 12db louder than the drums. I stopped using it about 6 months ago after getting tired of posting tech questions and trying fixes that never worked.

The people at fxpansion said they thought it was a Logic problem but I know a lot of people use it successfully. They also thought it was my hard drives or my power saver pref settings or bad ram or not enough ram...

Then I talked to them at NAMM, and they admitted that there was a problem with their software, and that it had been fixed. They encouraged me to download the newest driver, as I hadn't used it in 6 months.

Same problem!! BTW I'm running the latest version of Logic/OSX/BFD, etc.

anyway, I just wanted to post this in case anybody else was struggling with the same problems. I have decided to abandon my $1000 investment with BFD as I am under huge deadlines with projects and don't have time any more to beta test for manufacturers!

but Logic rocks and so does this site. Also went to the meeting last week and enjoyed it. Thanks much!

CJ

I have had nothing but problems with BFD, it is sending out HUGE LOUD MONSTROUS bursts of white noise that are easily 12db louder than the drums.

I use BFD often and have never had any problems like this. A lot of demo software instruments create bursts of white noise to encourage you to buy the full version. I know that you have payed for your copy but could there be something wrong with the licence so BFD thinks that it is in demo mode?

Fxpansion will lead you on a wild goose chase. I was having problems with BFD in Logic too, and they told me to roll back to a previous version. Then they told me I should have a dedicated hard drive. The thing is...I'm running a Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM. I shouldn't need another hard drive.

It could, sadly, also be a problem between BFD and your soundcard. If that is the case, well...s#!+.

Cripes,

I just bought BFD - and right before packup yesterday evening I got the living s#!+ jolted out of me with white noise.

I just dropped $200 on this thing, it better not be jinky.

BTW - It does sound great, I just can't get it to write to MIDI or the track, plays along fine. Also should I have a dedicted hard drive for the program or just the sample library?

and finally, I dig the beats but I'd like to accent on the "and" or the up beat during a fill or transistion - one, two, three, AND, four- back to the 4/4 verse.

Confused? I am...

:?

0fcbc61acd0479dc77e3cccc0f5ffca7.jpg.37fa1fb271ff9f79da4e112318e25b48.jpg

this was taken from the FXpansion support site. It's in the FAQ:

Please Note: This only applies to BFD previous to version 1.5.45 'J', which has a workaround. Update to to 1.5.45 at least first! BFD users running Mac OS X should ensure that they have disabled all Energy Saver options in the System Preferences. If your Mac goes to Sleep, using either "Put my hard disks to sleep" or "Put my computer to sleep" options, the system file cache can become corrupt. This is a system cache, and is outside BFD's control - the problem survives clearing BFD's cache buffers or restarting the BFD disk streaming engine, removing and reinserting BFD, or rebooting your your host application. Only a full reboot of your Mac will clear the system file I/O cache fully. OS X 10.4.6 addressed some Energy Saver issues, but the white noise fault still appears at present. Solution: Open System Preferences, go to the Energy Saver panel, and DISABLE (untick) "Put My Hard Disks To Sleep" and "Put My Computer To Sleep Whenever Possible". Another factor is if you are using a self-installed internal SATA or IDE drive, check that the drive is Mac Compatible. Not all hard drives are, and can lead to random white noise bursts. BFD pushes your I/O sub system hard, and is "good" at finding incompatibilities.

thanks for the detailed response, I have done all of the above with no luck, that was early on in the hours of searching, wondering, wasting...gee

I'm bailing on BFD I guess, can't afford the time and energy to beta test...

all the best

NW

hey, thanks for the update...so now I know that when I buy a new machine, BFD will finally work the way fxpansion said it would a year ago!

It is somewhat comforting to know that other people have gone through this.

I'm using my EXS24 for drums with samples I made at Capitol B in Hollywood, it sounds amazing and it ALWAYS WORKS!!!!

all the best

NW

Ah.

I've had these white noise episodes, but I sense they were an issue with my audio interface (MBox), and unfortunately when it happens, besides the fact that I can't hear well enough to mix for an hour, it requires a complete restart.

Sounded too familiar. I'm sure its another issue altogether.

Tim

sounds like the same issue to me.

These bursts are SO loud, 12-15 db louder than the entire mix, that they became a health hazard in my studio.

I had a Grammy award winning artist throw the headphones off of his head and refuse to sing again that day.

At any rate, I have never encountered any problem even close to this one as far as actually being DANGEROUS, I'm really surprised that there is not more uproar about it.

I was just thinking of the hours of pulling out my hair and cleaning out my ears that would have been saved if this plugin simply worked. Oh, and not to mention the $1000 bucks for the program and libraries.

I guess I'm trying to save somebody else the trouble here, I got NO joy from the nice people at fxpansion.

I personally linked it to digidesign, not my plugins. It may be, I suppose, I just never thought it through.

What is BFD? Big Freaking Deal?

Its also possible that Logic has a memory hole that gets found using BFD or the Mbox... I never saw any common thread, except for maybe an unpredictable stop, or Option z during a write.

As I recall it was during some 'change of direction', In any case, it wasn't less than deafening.

And it really ticks me off when it happens.

I figured it was my slow USB 1.0 interface on the MBox. Maybe its logic. Maybe its a plugin. I never put 2 and 2 together.

Tim