Setting up Soundflower as agregate device

camillo jr

Can someone point me in the direction of how to do this? Or any tips on getting soundflower to work? I downloaded Soundflower and I sort of remember from somewhere that you need to create an "agregate device" but I'm lost at this point.

As far as getting Soundflower to work, I first tried double clicking on the Soundflowerbed icon but that's not opening anything that I can see. What am I missing? I have version 1.2

I can see that I have Soundflower refered to in Audio Midi setup so maybe it does not need to be opened? Is it always "on" even if you don't open it in the traditional way? As you can tell much confusion here, any help appreciated, thanks.

Well i'm not getting this to work for some reason.... I'm trying to get iTunes to stream into Logic (yeah I know you can just drop an MP3 into Logic, this is just practice) I see in Audio MIDI that there's Input, Default Output and System Output. Which of these must be set to Aggregate Device? And then how do I get that into Logic? I try various settings but nothing is showing up on a record enabled Logic track. My interface is RME Multiface.

In my Aggregate device setup in Audio MIDI I have Soundflower, Builtin audio and RME all checked. Is this correct? And do I need to have any of the resampling boxes checked? There's not much help in the Apple help menu. I though Edgar's personal Logic manuals had this covered but I can't find it there either.

One other thing, the volume sliders in Audio MIDI seem to be inoperable.

The aggregate device is only required for Logic because it needs *one* device for input and output.

Since iTunes output is by default the system output, you need to change the system output to Soundflower, and in Logic select the Soundflower channels of the aggregate device as input.

Note however that with this configuration you can hear iTunes only via software monitoring through Logic. To hear it also directly you'd need to use 'Soundflowerbed' which adds another level of complexity.

Edited by Fred B

Ok, I've got system output set to soundflower but in logic the only inputs I see are the regular ones... input 1, 2 and so on. Now, I notice that in audiomidi Default Output if I set it to "aggregate device" the sound just stops altogether but still no change in Logic ie no new inputs appear. Does the default input need to be aggregate device? I've tried that too but nothing changes.

Is there some detailed manual anywhere on this topic? I've been at this for a while and I'm just stumped.

In fact, the inputs you see in Logic are only channel numbers (unfortunately). But they reflect the ordering of the individual devices in the aggregate device. So you should be able to find out the channel numbers of Soundflower.

Remenber, the only place where the aggregate device needs to be selected as driver is within Logic.

I'm not aware of a manual covering all aspects of Soundflower usage.

Ok, I seem to have got this working. I had to set Audio Midi "Default Output" to either Soundflower or Arggregate device and change Logic's driver to one of those as you suggested Fred.

But it's a bit cumbersome.... I can't grab stuff on the fly and as you also mentioned, once you've changed Logic's driver you can't hear it anyway! Alright, I'm part way there.

Is Jack better for this sort of thing?

Haleluja! Soundflower bed did the trick. At first I couldn't find the Soundflowerbed "GUI" because there is none. But hidden under the flower icon upper right of the menu bar are some settings where I could set the output to my RME and bingo, I can monitor what I'm recording in Logic again without using software monitoring in Logic.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

Glad you figured it all out!

I think your hands-on experience would be a good qualification to write a comprehensible article about 'Logic & Soundflower' in the tips and tricks section...

BTW, Jack uses a different concept. It's based on a SERVER where you can define any routings between applications. Quite powerful and flexible. However, the server puts some constant load on the CPU.