Recording Auxes w/ Soundflower+Aggregate Device`

gsilbers

So I want to record/ bounce in realtime a few Virus TI tracks and readin g the forums , there is a way of doing it with soundflower and aggreaget device.

how do I set up the agregate device and sound flower(16ch) to record in realtime my plugins.?

I would like to do it without using the ?gate-side chain monitor" trick just assging outputs of the tracks to inputs via soundflower,

right now I have enable soundflower 16ch and my ultralite in the aggreagate device and choose that as the audio driver in logic.

than i go the the plugin track and assign the output to be simething like 16-17 stereo and then go to an audio track and select input 16-17 and hit record but nothing ges in.

in soundflower i choose from off to aggregate device. but dont know what to do next in SF.

anyone has done this?

Thanks for the link... I've already read that thread extensively, it still didn't really cover using Soundflower to bounce multi instruments in depth. I've spent 5 hours trying to get Soundflower set up right, and still no dice, I did the noisegate chain as a stopgap measure, but it still doesn't solve all my problems. :-)

not that one though. there where a couple of posts that mentioned recording like the example above but without using the "gate-monitor" trick. more as assigning soundflower outputs to logics inputs all ITB using soundflower. but in SF you only choose "aggregate device" in the drop down menu and then only one option for a channel "aggregate device- chanel 2" for example.

for me I get confuse as to which channel is which as the aggregate device only says generic numbers 1-28.

Im trying the higher numbers chanels as I have the aggregate device made with soundflower and motu ultralite.

for me I get confuse as to which channel is which as the aggregate device only says generic numbers 1-28.

They should show up in the order you aggregate them in AMS.

so for example let's say the Ultralite has 12 i/o (just a guess) and your use Soundflower 16.

If your aggregate device has the Ultralite at the top, then the soundflower i/o are 13 through 28. If you place Soundflower at the top, then the Ultralite is 17 through 28.

They should show up in the order you aggregate them in AMS.

so for example let's say the Ultralite has 12 i/o (just a guess) and your use Soundflower 16.

If your aggregate device has the Ultralite at the top, then the soundflower i/o are 13 through 28. If you place Soundflower at the top, then the Ultralite is 17 through 28.

that mnakes sense. thanks

so I could say for example, select the output of a virtual synth in logic to be 18 (which falls under soundflower's I/0) and then go to an audio track in logic and select 17 as the input and record it?

(the audio will theoretically go under logic and back in again as it where an external I/0)

maybe i have to create input channel 17 in the environment?

• 11 months later...
I don't know if this shortcuts soundflower, but your motu has a layback channel. In the cuemix console select: file menu>Mix1 return includes computer output. BE CAREFUL: if you use 1&2 as your main output, you might need to change it to 3&4 for this to work. Now, once you have sorted out things in the cuemix console, go back to logic and create an audio track. You should have an extra pair of inputs that are layback inputs from the cuemix. I cant remember the ch. count on the ultralight, but there should be an extra stereo pair at the end of the input list. This input is whatever is going out through cuemix console mix 1. With that "mix1 return includes computer output" checked. assign anything you want to record into logic to your ultralight outputs 1&2. The sound should show up in logic with generally less delay than using soundflower in my experiance. I actually use this to remedy the TERRIBLE OVERSIGHT in both soundtrack pro and waveburner in which you cant route the outputs to 9&10 (my main outs) on my traveler. I just make STP play through logic. MOTU makes great drivers, its nice to be able to use them for things like this and count on it working all the time.