I've just about had it with System Overloads

philc80

More details as to when exactly the errors occur would help.

For example, most of us have noticed that a lot of songs will give Core Audio overload errors the first time through, and then when you play them again they play fine. Is that what you are experiencing?

Thanks for the quick response. I constantly get overloads. When I watch the meters on the CPU monitor they hardly even go up. I had this issue on my 1.25 Powerbook G4 and i thought I would be able to lose it with a new 2.66 Quad Core but it is still plaguing me. Sometimes I'll get the overloads 5-10 seconds into playback. Other times I'll hit play and it'll overload a fraction of a second into playback.

As for the actual usage.. this is running less than 10 channels.. and maybe 2 or 3 logic plug-ins... such as compressor and reverb.. There is really no reason this should be happening in a $1000 dollar program running on such a powerful machine! It's really frustrating as I'm learning how to produce and can't get past the technical issues.

For example, most of us have noticed that a lot of songs will give Core Audio overload errors the first time through, and then when you play them again they play fine. Is that what you are experiencing?

Thanks for the quick response. I constantly get overloads. When I watch the meters on the CPU monitor they hardly even go up. I had this issue on my 1.25 Powerbook G4 and i thought I would be able to lose it with a new 2.66 Quad Core but it is still plaguing me. Sometimes I'll get the overloads 5-10 seconds into playback. Other times I'll hit play and it'll overload a fraction of a second into playback.

As for the actual usage.. this is running less than 10 channels.. and maybe 2 or 3 logic plug-ins... such as compressor and reverb.. There is really no reason this should be happening in a $1000 dollar program running on such a powerful machine! It's really frustrating as I'm learning how to produce and can't get past the technical issues.

More details wouldn't hurt (i.e., what instruments are you using? is it pure audio, etc.?)...

But, based on what you've given - are you using any third-party plugins? I get this issue all the time when using the Native Instruments stuff and still haven't figured out how to fix it.

Also, make sure you've installed the latest Pro App Support version which is at 4.0 at the moment.

Start there.

It's a bug in Logic discussed more on this forum.

It looks like parts of the (Logic) program are loaded/swapped in when used for the first time, causing random delay leading to 'Core Audio Overload'. I also see this happening he first time I use a MIDI pitch bender. Makes Logic unusable on stage in a live environment, and looks embarassing for a pro-audio product....

More details wouldn't hurt (i.e., what instruments are you using? is it pure audio, etc.?)...

But, based on what you've given - are you using any third-party plugins? I get this issue all the time when using the Native Instruments stuff and still haven't figured out how to fix it.

Also, make sure you've installed the latest Pro App Support version which is at 4.0 at the moment.

Start there.

I'm running 13 instrument channels... no audio. 11 of the 13 are using the battery 3 synth... the other 2 are logic's Es1 and Es2. Only 3 plugins are being used... Compression... Reverb... and a Filter.

I actually did install the Pro App Support 4.0... didn't do a thing for me :(

It looks like parts of the (Logic) program are loaded/swapped in when used for the first time, causing random delay leading to 'Core Audio Overload'. I also see this happening he first time I use a MIDI pitch bender. Makes Logic unusable on stage in a live environment, and looks embarassing for a pro-audio product....

This is one hell of a BUG!!! I wouldn't have spent $1000 on Logic had I known it would cause me this much grief.

Is there anything I can do as far as settings in logic??

Thanks for all your help guys.

Also, how long does it generally take you guys to open a project? It seems to take a while for me... this small project i'm working on takes roughly close to a minute.. is that normal too?

No. Something is wrong with your machine.

What audio interface are you using? Try switching your drivers to "built-in" and play back your song. Do the messages disappear?

Any 3rd party RAM installed? If yes, try to take it out, see if the problems disappear.

I having the same issues more or less, running on a MBP 2.16gHz, c2d with 2GB. Logic 7.2.3, Pro App 4.0, Motu ultralite with latest drivers. I'm getting core audio and disk errors all the time, and my Logic meters are well below the lower 10% of their range. Only using audio files and maybe a Logic instrument or two in my projects. In general things are kinda slow when navigating in Logic, and not at all as smooth as I'd expect with this combination. Deleting my undo history helps somewhat for a little bit it feels like, but not for long.

Definitely not as smooth as say Live, or even Cubase SX3 running in Parallels! I find it odd that a DAW runs better virtualized compared to an Apple DAW running natively...

None of this is a show stopper for me, but it is a bit surprising given how powerful my MBP is, and how little CPU I'm using...

This is one hell of a BUG!!! I wouldn't have spent $1000 on Logic had I known it would cause me this much grief.

Is there anything I can do as far as settings in logic??

Thanks for all your help guys.

You could, experimentally, try turning off this warning. It's somewhere under audio preferences. Maybe this warning is "fake" in the sense that your song will play back and mix fine (without clicks and pops).

I turned off my warnings, and still have issues with audio dropping out, or Logic just stopping as if ti overloaded.

It's random too, sometimes the same projects that do this 10 times in one minute don't do it at all for an entire day. Very weird...

I only have the problem the when first note of a VI is played the first time after Logic startup, or a function of that VI (like pitch bend) is used the first time in that session. When this first hickup is done everything plays out fine.

11 of the 13 are using the battery 3 synth...

That's your problem right there. The latest versions of the NI stuff pop the warning up all the time. Are you really overloading or just being told you are? Also, 11 instances of Battery 3 seems like a lot. What are you doing exactly? You might get fewer errors if you used it more efficiently as a multi-instrument.

Just some thoughts.

Also, how long does it generally take you guys to open a project? It seems to take a while for me... this small project i'm working on takes roughly close to a minute.. is that normal too?

What audio interface are you using? Try switching your drivers to "built-in" and play back your song. Do the messages disappear?

Any 3rd party RAM installed? If yes, try to take it out, see if the problems disappear.

Just bought the machine yesterday. No 3rd party RAM. What about for large projects.. do they usually take that long to open?... or say at least 30 seconds? I'm using a Presonus Firebox. How would I switch the drivers to "built-in"?

Thanks

Just bought the machine yesterday. No 3rd party RAM. What about for large projects.. do they usually take that long to open?... or say at least 30 seconds? I'm using a Presonus Firebox. How would I switch the drivers to "built-in"?

Thanks

You change it in the Audio Prefences menu. Look in the manual if you have trouble finding it.

That load time isn't ridiculously long considering how many instances (11) of Battery that you are using. How many samples are you loading in to those instances? I still say that that is your problem. You also haven't answered if they are true overloads or if replaying will remedy the issue. What happens if you remove the instances of Battery 3 that you are using? Are you using the latest version of Battery?

i would list you hardware and software version, amount of ram you are using, os build, driver versions, etc, etc.

then i would find the scultpure benchmark song. could be here or in the apple forum. if you can't find it i will send it to you.

then i would open the benchmark song and try to play the song. you will get the over load error. start muting tracks and try to play the song. eventually you will get down to the number of tracks it will handle. make sure that the song loops a couple times.

also do those steps with your built-in audio so that we have a comparison.

post back with the # of tracks you could loop, and along with the system/software info others can make a clear assumption.

oh for a very poor uni student to spend the money i have spent buying logic this bug has absolutely ruined me!

it makes me not even want to touch logic anymore because of the frequency of the problem. i dont care about logic 8 and how much better it might be or whatever apple are plaining in that remark but i REALLY wish they would do something about all of us Logic 7 users and the technical difficulties that have been uncovered.

im getting a new Mac Pro on monday because of the problems ive faced with logic on my existing machines and gee ill be MASSIVELY dissapointed if that isnt the fix. Logic has been detremental to my music production work in the last 4 months and that really upsets me because it has the potential to be SO much better.

I'm thinking it's not enough RAM. I upped mine to 6G recently. i figured the max of 4G for Logic + the rest for anything else I've got going on at the same time. My Dual 2G G5 hasn't choked once since. Used to happen all the time. same symtoms - meters would not show an overload. etc. when I get an Intel machine and the 4G limitation goes away with Leopard, I'll get even more. It's worth every penny.

i remember running logic 4 and 5 with a 30gb hdd and 512mb ram.

just cruizing with 40 tracks and hell'a waves plugs.

but seriously. to think about it. there has to be a defect in the computer. i remember it took 4 G5's before the one i have now worked properly with Logic 6 or Logic 7.

Also think about this. Logic was for PC and OS 9. Then went to only OS X on PPC. Now back to Intel with OS X.. Geez!! It is a wonder it even opens... :twisted: