New; need direction or link for beginners

glyphosate kills

I just got logic pro academic version and am pretty lost. If this isn't the right place for beginners (I went through about three pages of forums and realized I may be in the wrong place). Before taking the time to answer all my questions, if there is a better beginner site please drop the link.

The only recording experience I have is with garage band and a voice recorder for live shows and I wanted to start producing some more professional stuff. Currently, I am stuck at the very basic levels and need some answers before I can try anything special.

1. my mic is plugged into a pre amp and then into my macbook but logic pro says there's "no input" when i try and change from the built in mic to the built in input

2. no sound is coming out of anything (the computer's speakers or my headphones in the output jack) and i'm not sure how to find output options in logic except for surround sound and buses (not sure what buses are)

- my midi keyboard is plugged in and the transport window is correctly reading the notes, so I'm assuming my midi is configured corrrectly.

- the computers audio system preferences are picking up the microphone when i tap or speak into it, so I know my mic and cord are functional

thanks for the help

I just got logic pro academic version and am pretty lost. If this isn't the right place for beginners (I went through about three pages of forums and realized I may be in the wrong place). Before taking the time to answer all my questions, if there is a better beginner site please drop the link.

The only recording experience I have is with garage band and a voice recorder for live shows and I wanted to start producing some more professional stuff. Currently, I am stuck at the very basic levels and need some answers before I can try anything special.

1. my mic is plugged into a pre amp and then into my macbook but logic pro says there's "no input" when i try and change from the built in mic to the built in input

2. no sound is coming out of anything (the computer's speakers or my headphones in the output jack) and i'm not sure how to find output options in logic except for surround sound and buses (not sure what buses are)

- my midi keyboard is plugged in and the transport window is correctly reading the notes, so I'm assuming my midi is configured corrrectly.

- the computers audio system preferences are picking up the microphone when i tap or speak into it, so I know my mic and cord are functional

thanks for the help

So for now you are using the Computer's internal 'Built in Audio.'

When using the I/O for your mic input use either input 1 or input 2 in the track or arrange window.

Check this in the LOGIC main menu. Select Logic > Preferences > Audio > Driver.

344732322_Picture1.png.9f7b16cf358716e0332bb81b7f27eba2.png

I know this might sound basic.. but you say you're a beginner: is your volume up? Use the volume up/down keys (function keys at the top of your keyboard) to adjust the volume.

Let's troubleshoot in steps. First, get sound out. Then you'll worry about getting sound in.

To check for sound output, you can, in Logic, choose Audio > Loop Browser, then do a search for a loop and click the loop to have it play (its icon will turn into a speaker).

yes, good deal, sound IS coming out from the loops and yeah volume was the one of first things I checked.

Now i just want to hear the keyboard when i play it through logic.

at the bottom there's a picture of me playing and logic acknowledging it's getting midi input:

I thought the "instr 3-8" tracks are line in instruments but they responded to midi input.

I'm assuming the assorted instruments 1-12 are supposed to be midi input tracks, but they responded the same as the instr tracks.

i see the rhythm in the arranging window and I see the chords in the transport window, but there's still no sound.

1029888511_Picture5.thumb.png.f6c7daec2defed8a4ec9c6102151c71f.png

if you are in the states, go to your local apple store and see if they have a "trainer" at "the studio" that is Logic certified like me and you can then buy 52 1hour lessons for 100$ (1 full year). its a steal, you can come once a week with your macbook and gear and we'll help you learn it... cheapest way to learn it hands on.

As one who's into this for not quite a year now, I know the first few weeks/months can be a series of question marks (and maybe profanities). I've definitely gotten lots of help from reading input from some brilliant musicians/Logicians here, but there's no substitute for sitting down with a hard copy Manual and grunting through some things.

My Academic package included the 133-page "Getting Started with Logic" (black cover). Work through it carefully and you'll find most of what you need. I'd recommend going through it completely BEFORE tackling the much more detailed Logic Pro Reference (or use the Reference only as needed).

If you have personal training available nearby and can afford it, even two or three hours can help you a LOT. Take notes and make lots of screen shots!

I'd also recommend a couple of commercial resources:

Martin Sitter's "Logic Pro and Logic Express" (and after that, David Dvorin's Advanced book), published by PeachPit, if you prefer reading and trying structured exercises, included w/ the book)

MacProVideo.com if you prefer seeing things done in QuickTime movies, but you'll need a couple of your own functional projects established for trying things out after you see it demonstrated.

I've found ALL of these extremely helpful.

Best,

c

Are you getting your Audio to playback?

As for your midi instruments...

In the Environment is where the PHYSICAL input, SEQUENCER Input, and Quicktime Synth are located.

They will need to be 'cabled' in order to get sound out.

From the main menu go to Windows > Environment > select 'Clicks & Ports' over to the left and see if everything is cabled for what you need.

1136034135_Picture2.png.3ac384b9c3183b9b28772ff75a471bdf.png