Helldog Studio remodel

finally..light at the end of the tunnel..wires done (but not as neat as I'd like them).

Got a few ergo challenges...need a taller chair (or longer legs..) But, I love having the Trigger pad and Kore nearer..and, the MBox2Pro/Lucid Genx/speaker selector switch fit nicely on a slide out shelf.

Little monitor in back is for my PC, the rare times I need it. Eventually, I'll get a 30" monitor and a switcher. The Apple 23 is mounted on a cool articulating arm that lets me move it out of the way.

http://www.lcdarms.com/products/LCD_Radial_Arms/7506-1000.html

so..here's a list..I think..

Quad G5/5 gigs ram, 2-250 internal drives

PPA 400g Record Drive

LaCie 250g D2Extreme record drive

LaCie 250g D2Extreme for loops/sfx/etc...

3 LaCie Porsch Drives..one for Video stuff (iMovie/iDvd/QT playback. 2 as backups for the internal Quad drive

SomeKindOfPC for Quicken and crap like that..cheap LogicTech speakers for it

Korg Triton Extreme 76 controller/synth

Kore Controller for NI Komplete

MBox2Pro

Lucid GENx-96 word/super clock generator.

JBL LSR's (big guns)

MOTU MidiExpress XT

MOTO 828mkII

Yamaha Motice Rack

Glyph mProject drive (archiving my archives..lololol).

M-Audio Trigger Finger

AKG 401 Headphones (I MIX WITH THEM...AMAZING)

3 ART Power regulators/distribution amps

Kensington track ball.

Big Rack of Homer Goodies

7' Samick Grand with OSX Tiger Promo gift on top :)

IMG_3987.thumb.jpg.040dc1a426673ba09339b333140b85fc.jpg

IMG_3986.thumb.jpg.1ede153402e8d6c4391c6b40a7f8dc02.jpg

The AKG's are simply amazing. I go back and forth between them and the LSR's.

In looking at the photos..I realize that the main thing I DON'T have is any 'sonex' kind of sound absorption materials on my walls!!! It don't look like no recordin' studio that way...hahahah.

I just ran the EQ tuning feature on the LSR's. It's really amazing how well it works..but..I think I'll go buy some stuff for the walls anyway...I don't track vocals or anything here (some gtrs once in a while..)

and that's a damn fine mouse indeed..yup..for the PC.

dude..pop me an email at my v-daveg address and come by and see the studio sometime!!! The Ptools HD rigs are impressive, even tho I can't seem to get them to spring for a Logic Rig for me...hahahaha.

Thanks Mr.Monk. I just hate sterile studio environments. It should always be fun, clean, and especially effecient. Of course, we're always limited by space and budget constraints, but there's always a way to make even the smallest space look AND sound good. I really like the new desk, and it was less than $400, AND fits a LOT of crap!!! It's a tad to high tho..I don't want to lay my speakers on their sides..so I'll tilt them down at me even more (and get a taller chair, since I'm only 5'8"..damn...longer legs would be good..hahahaah.

My whole little room is probably 12' x 14' or so at the most., and the wifes piano takes up a good chunk of it. What I forgot to snap a pic of is the 'right' side of the room, where the open stairwell connects to the upper part of the house. The room is FAR from acoustically perfect. That's the main reason I spent the $$ for the JBL LSR's. Have them tune themselves to the room made a HUGE difference.

I'm very lucky that my clients don't usually need to come to my place..they just upload an OMF and a QT movie, and let me to the mix/post on my own..I just bounce out a stereo mix or stems for them. I don't track vocals or drums there (obviously), but I'll do gtr stuff all the time.

morale of the story...professional or hobby..there's always a great way to make a great room for yourself!!!

And, as soon as I get some sonex stuff on the wall behind everything, I'll run the auto-tune program again

• 2 weeks later...

DK, I'd love to know about your experiences with the LSR's. I see you mentioned that the self-tuning of the LSR's has made a huge difference. Would love to know more details.

Also, looking at your piano mic'ing, I know Blue makes the Dragonfly but didn't realize they've expanded their line to include Tiger and Butch the Dog. ;)

Very nice!

:lol:

gotta add a few new pics..I put some Sonex up last night...helped a bunch.

sad thing...ever since my wife had the piano revoiced (DULLER), I don't even play the damn thing, let alone record it. When we first met, it sounded better than the Yamaha C7 at the Studio I hang around at!!! Now....ugh...fine for classical stuff, but that's about it. I just use Ivory's Italian Grand instead!

I really do love the LSR's. Looking at the little graph it makes after it tunes to the room, I'd never would have guess that the RIGHT side of my room has a totally different harmonic overtone than the LEFT side!

I have a handfull of 'reference' CD's...Steely Dan, Diana Krall, Toto...records I know very well and I know what they sound like. The difference before and after the LSR's tuning the room really is noticiable.

I also check everything with the AKG 701 headphones, which also sound truly amazing.

Sure..there are better speakers on the market for the same $$ as the JBL's..but, for those of us (most of us) with an non-perfect subteranian acoustic environement (basement), I can't recommend the JBL's more strongly.

DK,

Gotta keep playing the piano to compress the hammers again and get that thing sounding brighter! :D

Re the LSR's, thanks for your feedback on them. A while ago I bought a graphic EQ as a stop-gap measure to get a flatter response from my monitors. Had my tech come over with his analyzer and calibrate the EQ; turns out the left and right sides required slightly different EQ curves as well.

i beat the hell out of the piano, but it's just dull and has lost all its dynamics :(

What speakers are you using now? Maybe you borrow some JBLs for a test?

Beat it some more then! :D

I'm using HR824's (Mackie) and NS-10's (for that legendary "vanilla" playback test). I had an arrangement with a dealer to evaluate some LSR's but haven't had the time these days to get that together. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's only a dynamic tiger when my greyhound barks at it.

:)

being short is definetly an issue when building a studio...I'm stunned more of these 'home studio desks' dont have some kind of adjustable speaker height platforms...even having speakers 2-3 inches too high makes a HUGE difference.

of course..that gives you an excuse to buy some really nice headphones...

:)