Stutter edits in Kontakt 2 ?

Hricco

Hey guys,

I just got finished watching some of the REMIXING in Pro Tools videos on the Digidesign site.

I use Pro tools every now and again. So the question is:

If you go over to the Digi site and watch the video about doing stutter edits with STRUCTURE, Digi's sampler. it is very cool and I would like to know if this is possible within Logic using Kontakt. I invested in Kontakt 2 as my sampler and I don't wish to buy another sampler just to do this effect. Its a great sounding effect....I can do manual edits to make a stutter but it would be cool to just play it.

Any Ideas?

oh really?

I"m just not techie enough to figure it out.

Hricco,

Doing this in Kontakt I'm afraid is going to require a bit of "techie" stuff. There are really a lot of ways to do this and the most common is to simply slice up a region with the scissor tool. If you want to keep it really "simple" then this might be a better way for you.

There's also some inexpensive plug-ins that do this too that are simple. Here's one:

http://sinevibes.com/software/gateboy/

If you must have it happen via keyboard control, (for performance reasons perhaps?) then that's different. But let us know that's what you really need first.

Here's a thread on it btw:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=10507

There's other threads here too.

You can do crazy stutter effects with a sidechained Noise Gate. Just use any percussive instrument (klopfgeist does the trick) as the trigger track. Set its output to a bus. Make sure you don't have the corresponding Bus object in the environment (or if you do set its output to no output -> So it doesn't send the sound of the trigger track to the mix).

Then place the noisegate on the track/instrument channel strip you want to stutter, and set its sidechain to the trigger bus.

If you want even more control try MIDI Gater.

Hey guys,

Thnaks for the replies, I would really lke to be able to play the stutters like in the structure video. Particularly with Kontakt, because once the sample is in Kontakt you can do all sorts of crazy cool other stuff to it.

its true, I'm not to techie with figuring this sorta thing out, but If someone else does I can apply it to my own work flow!! :o)

I'll check out the plug ins you guys sugessted thanks for the tips.

Yeah,

I noticed that too. Is that his job? doing demo vids for software companies?

Cool job. I've seen him in a few others as well,

Scott Wilkie who does the Logic seminar on Production with Logic Pro 7 has also done some M-audio vids. but I think scott is also a sales rep. I have met Scott at a trade show in NY. Nice guy.

Anyway.

Hricco,

I'm working on a Kontakt2 script for something else, but it occured to me, duh, that a byproduct of it will do what you need with just Kontakt, i.e. no aux track required, etc. I'll post it here when I'm done (maybe today?) so keep an eye on this thread.

Hricco,

Here ya go. Stuttering with Kontakt2, but with a twist! Download the attached script and put it in:

Applications\Kontakt 2\presets\scripts\Performance

Open Kontakt2 and create or open an instrument. Click the wrench, then the Script Editor button. Grab the Script dropdown menu and navigate to Performance->Stutter Baby.

Now, put your vocal phrase samples in the first group and map them to anything below middle C. Playing any key middle C and above will mute the first groups audio while you hold the key down.

Here's the twist: If you create a second group, with zones at middle C and above, the samples you play in that group will play while group one is muted. So you can either stutter with silence, or stutter with a sample! Lot's of fun with drum loops. Kind of a realtime drum replacer.

Here's what the script looks like. As you can see it's short, simple and harmless!. We'll turn you into a techie yet!

{Stutter Baby}

{Written by fader8}

on init

declare ui_label $test (1,1)

set_text ($test, "Stutter Baby")

move_control ($test, 3,1)

end on

on note

{Determine if note on is for group 0 or 1}

if ($EVENT_NOTE > 59) {is in Group 1}

{Then mute Group 0}

_set_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_VOLUME, 0, 0, -1, -1)

end if

end on

on release

{Determine if note on is for group 0 or 1}

if ($EVENT_NOTE > 59) {is in group 1}

{Then unmute Group 0}

_set_engine_par($ENGINE_PAR_VOLUME, 500000, 0, -1, -1)

end if

end on

Stutter Baby.nkp.zip

This is so cool!!

I can't say thanks enough. This is what I mean. The scripts in Kontakt 2 are so cool. I use them quite often, but writing my own? I didn't even know you could do that!! Thats were my tech savy comes to screeching halt.

I don't mean to get all sentimental on you guys, but if the rest of the world acted like the guys and gals on these forums, the world would be a better place.

Everyone offers help and guidence in the mists of there own no dobt busy lives, and although debates may rage, they are always calmly settled. anyway.

fader8

you rock, I'm gong to try this in a bit, I'm watching 300 right now with my wife, but she got up to make icecream...so I grabbed the laptop to check on the thread. so after the movie I'm on it. Have any of you guys seen this movie?

It rocks...the music is awesome! there is heavy metal, some electronica type stuff, and just great sound beds....good stuff. Oh s#!+...shes back!! gotta go...Vanilla and peanut butter.........yum Thanks fellas.

Fader8

this rocks, I love it.

I do however have one small issue. :lol: Is there a way in the script to control the amount of cross fading between the sample and the mute?

It seems to fade on and off and I would rather it be a bit more of an abrupt cut off.

Otherwise, it is exactly what I was looking for!!!

Thanks again.

Hey Hricco,

Glad you like it, and thanks for the kind words.

Is there a way in the script to control the amount of cross fading between the sample and the mute?

I noticed this too and even posted to the scripting forum about it. I'm awaiting a response. The docs are not really complete as far as defining all the engine parameters well. I'd like it a bit more responsive too. Some of the things I've tried had no effect, like setting the "smoothing" parameter to 0 or any other number. I gotta think there's a way though.

I'll plug away at it some more and hopefully I'll get some expertise to assist me.

• 5 weeks later...

Hricco,

Here's an updated script that chops rather than fast-fades a mute in and out. NI had suggested to me that I modulate an insert effect volume to accomplish this. They were wrong, that's just as "smoothed" as the main group volume engine parameter was!

So, this modulates the compression ratio instead, which gives a VERY fast change. In fact, I think too fast because on some material you might get some clicking. I wish NI would give us script control over the smoothing parameters!

Here's the instructions pasted from my script:

{Stutter Baby III}

{Written by fader8}

{Instructions: Put your samples in the first group and map them to anything below middle C}

{Insert a Compressor in the first Group Insert FX slot.}

{Set the compressors Threshold to -68, leave it on "Classic"

{Playing any key above middle C will attenuate the first group}

{If you create a second group, middle C and above, the samples you play in that group will}

{replace the group one sounds as you play. Like a realtime drum replacer!}

{This script toggles the compression ratio from 1:1 to 25:1 for the first group when you play}

{any notes middle C or above}

Stutter Baby III.nkp.zip