Give the gift of Color to your Markers!

David Nahmani

Markers are useful, but they are very often neglected by Logic users. One of the reasons is that the plain, ordinary blank markers can be quite boring. But color your markers, and make them exciting again! At one glance, you can tell where you are in the song. And next week, we'll see how we can use them to quickly navigate from one part to the next (or previous!).

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/001.gif

To create a Marker, click in the lower 3rd of the bar ruler at the desired location while holding both Command and Option. This willl create a new Marker and open its Text Window. If you want to open an existing marker, do the same operation while clicking on the name of the Marker (you must be zoomed in close enough to the markers, or Logic will create a new marker).

Then open your color palette (Option C).

http://logicprohelp.com/tipsimages/002.gif

Next, click on a color while holding Option. This will select the background color of your marker, which is also the color that will show in the Bar Ruler.

Upon closing your Marker Text Window, the marker will take its new color in the Bar Ruler! Voila! Have fun.

Edited by David Nahmani
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

How hard would it be for Apple to give us zero-length markers -- like Soundtrack Pro and every other timeline-based editor out there? If I want to mark a door slam or gunshot, i don't want the marker to have a duration, I just want a flag. In FCP you can have either.

just my 2¢ :?

Speaking of markers, does anyone have a way of temporarily marking spots so you can return to them but not mess up your main marker set-up? The thing I'm looking for is something like I used to have on my Roland hardware recorder; you had banks of markers so I would always use one bank to spot little sections as the song went by and make it easy to return to them after. It was very handy in vocal sessions, I would spot the take while I was recording it and I could imediately go back to fix spots with the vocalist without having to run through the song again.

One method I've resorted to in Logic is to have a blank track and use the pencil tool to drop little regions down and use them as visual markers, although that doesn't work with the above scenario. And I have used regular markers and then went in after and pulled them off when I didn't need them anymore. Anyone have any other ideas?

• 2 months later...

I hope that I don't get "booed" from this site (as this is my first post), but is it possible to change the dark grey background of LP7 to a different shade, or even color?

Don't get me wrong, I dig the grey, but to change it up every now and again would be kinda kewl!

BTW - please forgive me if this has been covered in another post! I did a vague search - but didn't find anything! Thanks

H2O

I hope that I don't get "booed" from this site (as this is my first post), but is it possible to change the dark grey background of LP7 to a different shade, or even color?

Don't get me wrong, I dig the grey, but to change it up every now and again would be kinda kewl!

BTW - please forgive me if this has been covered in another post! I did a vague search - but didn't find anything! Thanks

H2O

Yes .. Preferences > Display > Arrange > Background, then pick a color

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...