Project file Backups?

mpmusicny

Hi.

Seems like we've lost the option to control the number of project file backups with L8. It's automatically giving me 10 backups. Didn't L7 have a preference to set the number of backups? Is it hidden somewhere?

thx

The pref was removed. It just uses the default Cocoa document behaviour (as far as I can tell) for backups at this time.

J

Hi.

Seems like we've lost the option to control the number of project file backups with L8. It's automatically giving me 10 backups. Didn't L7 have a preference to set the number of backups? Is it hidden somewhere?

thx

The pref was removed. It just uses the default Cocoa document behaviour (as far as I can tell) for backups at this time.

J

Hmm, maybe they thought Leopard's Time Machine would already be out before L8, no?

Hi.

thx

J

Hmm, maybe they thought Leopard's Time Machine would already be out before L8, no?

We can only speculate. If you want something similar, you could use a script to just fly out any file in specific directories which ends in tilde+a specific extension. That is an approximation but easy enough. Multiple backups is a feature I used often, because of the way I work, and because I kept Logic's undo stack small (for many reasons). I really don't know if this is resolved at this point... I guess it will work fine with Time Machine.

Side note: I meant the default autosave behaviour for an NSDocument, which is disabled by default in Cocoa docs (to a programmer's perspective).

J

...Is it hidden somewhere?

I picked this up from Martin Erskine at Apple's Logic Studio forums, but the pref is available. Open Terminal, enter this command:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MaxBackupsToKeep 100

In this case, 100 is the number of backups to keep. I have used it for a while now and it seems to do the job.

Cheers,

J

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MaxBackupsToKeep 100

In this case, 100 is the number of backups to keep. I have used it for a while now and it seems to do the job.

Cheers,

J

That's a great Tip ! Thanks.

Would you know what's the default number of backup in LP8 ?

That's a great Tip ! Thanks.

Would you know what's the default number of backup in LP8 ?

According to the manual, it is 1.

If you ever want to remove the pref and return to default behavior, just use:

defaults delete com.apple.logic.pro MaxBackupsToKeep

It should be stressed that these commands should be used while Logic is NOT running, because conflicts may arise. While Logic is not running, it is safe.

J

I checked my last projects and it seams that LP 8 backup the last 10 version as default.

I used the terminal command that you posted and it worked ! :D Thanks again.

Right : ^)

In the manual, it states it makes 'a' backup. I'm not sure how everything around this is configured. Did you use 10 backups in previous versions? If so, it may have carried over... (shrug)

You're Welcome,

J

You can edit the Logic preference file with the 'Property List Editor' which is part of the Developer Tools. I've just checked and found that the value is by default set to 10. It can easily be changed with the editor.

Yes, those tools are handy to have in case you are interested in performance issues and similar things. Get a free developer account at developer.apple.com. The download would take a while, as the kit is very big.

Anyway, just a word of warning, you might end up with a non-working system in case some settings have bad values. Removing the preference file usually fixes it, but just be careful, there's maybe a reason some of those values are not exported via the UI.

--Kent

Yes, those tools are handy to have in case you are interested in performance issues and similar things. Get a free developer account at developer.apple.com. The download would take a while, as the kit is very big.

No need for download. The tools are available on the OS X Tiger install DVD as 'Xcode 2'.

No need for download. The tools are available on the OS X Tiger install DVD as 'Xcode 2'.

Yes, I'm just so used to download the latest XCode, as those tools are very old compared with the latest XCode versions. But they should work, however for development purposes it's always best to get the latest one.--Kent