Dvorak Keyboard Layout and Logic Pro 8 - Key Commands

Subtonic

Logic Pro 8 doesn't seem to like Dvorak keyboard layouts.

The ] key is now the Key command for Next instrument or EXS setting. Awesome. Except it doesn't work in Dvorak.

The key position of ] in Dvorak is = in QWERTY - which means for Dvorak users, ] does not go to the next instrument or EXS setting. It merges regions.

That's only 1 example, but I'm sure there's more - I just don't feel like sitting here and troubleshooting them.

My guess is that the Standard key commands for Logic 8 are assigned by position, not by label. If I switch to QWERTY the key commands work as expected.

I know we're only .0005% of the computer user population, but are there any other Dvorak layout users with the same issues?

I think I've figured this out. Some shortcut keys are simply assigned by key position, not by label.

Check out these screenshots and note the input menu in the upper right-hand corner.

Thing is, there's an issue of trying to correctly re-assign these commands. When you try to assign the correct key commands by label it basically tells you that you'll disrupt the space/time continuum. Check out the Reassign screenshot.

If you use an alternative keyboard layout, you're potentially facing a tangled mess of key commands in Logic 8.

And yes, the authorities have been notified.

reassign.png.9c4fb99e8980d87d6c22db29722086dc.png

dvorak_shortcut.thumb.png.5a850574d5a31ebd12b7d1826243ebb7.png

Region shortcuts in the Dvorak Keyboard layout

us_shortcut.thumb.png.2097febd9456c13bfb69f100718d09e3.png

Region shortcuts in the US Keyboard layout

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...