Logic doesnt remember Core Audio recording path

Bluemoa

Is this normal? Everytime i do a new project i have to reset it, help? I even made a template with it set and it doesn't remember

Yeah. That's the way it should be.

Every time you start a new song, you create a project with your audio path/audio folder inside this project folder.

It's not a good idea to have a single recording path.

Every song should have its own audio folder.

Doesn't make sense, and it's not safe, having a single audio path for all your sessions.

Also, you should backup regularly.

Agreed. You should never set a record path unless you know exactly what (and why) you're doing. All you have to do is save your project before you start recording audio in it. If you leave the default setting of having "Include Assets" selected, the audio files will be recorded to the audio files folder in the project folder.

• 5 months later...
David, you've previously stated that you shouldn't manually change your Record Path, but instead save your project before you start so the files are kept with project, which makes complete sense. The question I pose to you is, do you not believe in using a dedicated drive just for recording? I was under the impression that it is best to record to one drive, save it to another, then clear the drive I used to record to. Note that this isn't the setup that I'm currently using, but was thinking about switching to by getting a MacPro with multiple drives. Are you instead A) moving the entire folder off the drive to another, B) Not using a dedicated drive for recording, and another for storage of projects(originals, not backups) or C) don't recommend manually setting the Recording Path to novice Logic users due to concerns about organization. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you asking about moving your actual default "Logic" Folder on an external drive? This has been addressed here before but i can't find the thread. It can be done and i do remember it involved an alias and was answered by dkgross. If this is what you mean you might have more success searching than i did

David, you've previously stated that you shouldn't manually change your Record Path, but instead save your project before you start so the files are kept with project, which makes complete sense. The question I pose to you is, do you not believe in using a dedicated drive just for recording? I was under the impression that it is best to record to one drive, save it to another, then clear the drive I used to record to. Note that this isn't the setup that I'm currently using, but was thinking about switching to by getting a MacPro with multiple drives. Are you instead A) moving the entire folder off the drive to another, B) Not using a dedicated drive for recording, and another for storage of projects(originals, not backups) or C) don't recommend manually setting the Recording Path to novice Logic users due to concerns about organization. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend using a dedicated hard drive to save your projects to. The whole project folder, including all the project files (if you use several, which you should), audio folder and audio files, and any other folders you choose to save in your project.

A) Don't move the folder, simply save it on the desired drive.

B) One drive for your system, one (other) drive for your project folders.

C) I think NO ONE should ever manually set the record path.

Hope that helps?

Are you asking about moving your actual default "Logic" Folder on an external drive? This has been addressed here before but i can't find the thread. It can be done and i do remember it involved an alias and was answered by dkgross. If this is what you mean you might have more success searching than i did

Here it is:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=21539

I recommend using a dedicated hard drive to save your projects to. The whole project folder, including all the project files (if you use several, which you should), audio folder and audio files, and any other folders you choose to save in your project.

A) Don't move the folder, simply save it on the desired drive.

B) One drive for your system, one (other) drive for your project folders.

C) I think NO ONE should ever manually set the record path.

Hope that helps?

ANy insight you provide is always helpful and appreciated, but I do still have a few lingering issues/questions regarding this. 1)How full do you let your project drive get, before you need to start recording to another drive? 2)Say your recording 16 tracks simultaneously, would this change the way you would handle HD management?

I remember reading an article by PantomimeHorse in which he seems to state that there are benefits to recording to the outside of the disc, which is only possible by recording to a empty disc. Or at least the first partition of a disc, with the partition being empty. Sorry to keep beating this horse, but a little clarification would go along way

1)How full do you let your project drive get, before you need to start recording to another drive?

I always record on my project drive, I just archive the projects I'm no longer working on onto an archiving drive to keep my project drive well under 80% capacity (in fact it's in general below 50%).

Say your recording 16 tracks simultaneously, would this change the way you would handle HD management?

Absolutely not.

My 2 cents: keep it simple!

• 2 years later...

Here it is:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=21539

I am taking your advice with my new setup. However when I bring my logic songs to my new computer, I can't reset the recording path to "no path set". It only lets me change it, I don't want to have double audio folders. Can you help please?

when I bring my logic songs to my new computer, I can't reset the recording path to "no path set". It only lets me change it, I don't want to have double audio folders. Can you help please?

vrocko, please don't double post: Read Me before posting - Forum Guidelines (#3) (I deleted your other thread on the topic).

Why would you want to reset your record path to "No path"? :shock:

FWIW I recommend you never ever worry about the record path. Instead, just save the project with assets on whatever drive you want. Logic will automatically take care of updating the record path.

Got it thanks again David for all the help in the last few days. You can probably tell I am having some issues lately transfering everything to a new computer. The positive is that I am learning so much and can contribute to this forum by helping others out in the future.

...Sorry for the double post.