See everything in any window

David Nahmani

How many times do you get lost in Logic? You zoom in and out and in again, and before you know it, you don't remember where you are in the song? Or you double-click on a MIDI Region which opens up to show you an empty Matrix Editor, even though you know your notes are in that Region.... somewhere?

Here's an easy tip to quickly see all the contents of any window, including your main Arrange Window, when you want a global view of your whole song:

Logic 8

Command-A [select All]

Control-Option-Z [Zoom to fit selection vertically and horizontally...]

Control-Z to zoom back out [Navigation: Back]

Logic 7

Command-A [select All]

Z [Zoom to fit selection vertically and horizontally...]

Shift-Z to zoom back out [Navigation: Back]

Use this sequence of key commands when you are lost, and Logic will show you what you want to see. I've found the vertical position isn't always updated to show you all your notes in the Matrix Editor, so in some cases, after you press those two key commands you might want to do a little vertical scrolling to bring the notes in view.

So next time you are lost in your Arrange Window and clicking 4 times in the background with the magnifier tool doesn't do what you want, remember this tip!

And since now your whole arrangement is selected, if you want to quickly deselect everything, simply press:

Command-Shift-A [Deselect All]

Edited by David Nahmani

It's not supposed to behave that way: I only have to press Z once. Make sure you don't have Z assigned to another key command?

The Z is configured to:

Zoom to fit selection vertically and horizontally, store Navigation Snapshot

It seems like it is jumping in steps! I have to press it 3 or 4 times before i can reach the whole arrangement :shock:

Yes, that's the one. Not sure what your problem might be? I use that command everyday on different systems without a problem.

I can replicate it every time.

If i zoom in the Arrange by dragging my mouse 4 times I have to press Z 4 times to get back!

It works every time. I have tried to change the keyboard setup to American from Swedish but with no luck.

Is there anybody else having this problem?

It gets stranger: I tried to zoom in seven times with the magnifier and then use that tip, and ... now it takes me two presses on Z before I can see my whole selection.

I don't know why that is.

Strange :shock:

But I have to say that I feel a little bit reliefed that ju could kind of replicate this behaviour.

I have tried in different songs even and I can achive this even in the Logic Demo Song :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just a heads up Eric, but I've seen this too. Very weird. I get around this by assigning a key command to loop all selected regions, and then another to zoom to loop. So for me to do what David suggest I first CMD+A to select all regions, press "L" to loop all regions, then CTRL+L to zoom to loop.

It's one more key command than david's method, but it works every time at least.

• 4 months later...
Hi David :D

I have tried this already but I find that sometimes i have to press Z several times.

I had the same experience in Logic 7 and I am glad to say that in Logic 8 this bug (or whatever it was) is gone, "select all" and "zoom to selection" combination seems to work flawlessly.

Yes, unfortunately the command doesn't work sometimes when zoomed in very close. You can start zooming out horizontally (Control-Left arrow) a little bit and then use Control-Option-Z.

Well...

Like you stated David. The command doesn't work when zoomed in closely.

It would be neat if they could find a way to implement this feature.

• 5 months later...
I've found the vertical position isn't always updated to show you all your notes in the Matrix Editor, so in some cases, after you press those two key commands you might want to do a little vertical scrolling to bring the notes in view.

In this situation, a reliable way to bring the hiding notes into view is to select all (CMD-A) and then use the Scroll to Selection key command (Shift-`)

Tom

I'm hoping that this feature is still in Logic 8. It's in Logic 7 and I depend on it tremendously. Check this out:

Here's a zoom method that doesn't require making any kind of selection, and is GLOBAL for all Logic songs. It's much cooler than you might think. Read on...

KEY COMMANDS:

Recall Zoom 1

Recall Zoom 2

Recall Zoom 3

(and there are key commands to Save Zoom 1, 2, and 3 as you might expect)

These key commands let you recall zoom settings that YOU define, and the Zoom recall amounts can be totally different for each editor. Try it:

While in the arrange page, zoom all the way out as far as you can go. Save that setting in Zoom Recall 1 (using the "save zoom recall 1" key command). Now zoom in a bit so that the display looks more normal and save thats setting in zoom recall 2 (use the "save zoom recall 2" key command).

Now you can flip back and forth between those two zoom views just with the Zoom Recall key commands. And remember, there are 3 such Zoom Recall settings, so you still have one left.

These settings are global. This means that you don't have to set them up for each song. This is especially useful when it comes to wanting to zoom all the way out when you're lost in the arrangement.

Now, the best part...

Open a separate window for, say, the Matrix (piano roll) editor. This time, zoom all the way in (so that a note looks huge). Store this in Zoom Recall 1. It will NOT overwrite the zoom setting you saved in Zoom Recall 1 for the Arrange window --- it's a totally separate zoom value from the one you're storing for Zoom Recall 1 in the Matrix (piano roll) editor.

So again, three Zoom Recall amounts can be stored for each editor PLUS the arrange window.

Try it out! :D

Edited by ski