Green Loops sound different in track vs. loop preview pane

kccustom

I am a long time pro tools user but have made the jump to Logic 8. Everything is great and I am really enjoying it but I am stuck on one problem. I have tried searching the forums for an answer but didn't find anything that really helped. I have completed David's book but I am still puzzled on this one item.

When I preview green loops they "sound" really great. If I drag the loop over to the arrange area and create a new track something happens to the loop and when I do playback in the arrange area it sounds totally different. It was my understanding that all the settings should go with the loop onto the new track that is created. The sound goes from full and lush and changes into somewhat small and cheesy sounding like a $150 keyboard. Seems like the issue is very noticeable on any Orchestral loops.

I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly just not sure what that is. I am guessing that I have a preference set incorrectly. I tried reinstalling Logic last night but that didn't help. I am running a MBP 2.2ghz with 4 gb ram. I have done all updates to Logic 8.01 and OS is current as well. Any help is much appreciated

This has been covered before,recently.

You may need to unbypass the effects on the track.

Apparently the previews are audio files of the performances used with the relevant instr and plugs,but these plugs are tweakable/changeable.

Some instruments have different samples for different velocities too,so analysing the midi data in the Event list might help.

Can't remember anything else....just got up!

:oops: 8)

You can drag a green apple loop to an "audio" track and it will render the exact audio that is in the preview. Green loops contain both a midi data/channel strip version of the loop and an bounced audio rendering of the same. You must drag it directy from the loop browser or it won't render!

You can drag a green apple loop to an "audio" track and it will render the exact audio that is in the preview. Green loops contain both a midi data/channel strip version of the loop and an bounced audio rendering of the same. You must drag it directy from the loop browser or it won't render!

Not true ....with ALL the green Apple loops.

Many will not give the exact sound for some reason. Esp the Symphony/Strings.

Seems they were made in GB, and the fx from the preview audio file were on the outputs in GB... and you would need to re-build to try to get the exact sound.

While what Steve suggests might not be the answer to your problem... it IS, in fact, true. What you say is true too.

EDIT: I mean, any loop dragged to an audio track should sound exactly the same as when previewed, since as far as I know what you're previewing is the audio file it creates when dragged onto the audio track. Is that wrong? Do you know of an example of a loop that doesn't sound the same when dragged on an audio track?

Edited by David Nahmani

Thanks for the suggestions. I will play around and see what works best. I should have mentioned that it seemed like the issue did not occur in GB but I thought perhaps that I was just mistaken since I haven't used GB much since getting logic.

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses!

Hi..One thing to consider is the tempo of Logic..The loops will audition at this tempo..Also they audition as audio files Not midi files..Once you drag them into the arrange window they will sound exactly as they should at what ever tempo Logic is set at . They are also prone to having some of their inserts greyd out. Just option click them to turn on those FX...

While what Steve suggests might not be the answer to your problem... it IS, in fact, true. What you say is true too.

EDIT: I mean, any loop dragged to an audio track should sound exactly the same as when previewed, since as far as I know what you're previewing is the audio file it creates when dragged onto the audio track. Is that wrong? Do you know of an example of a loop that doesn't sound the same when dragged on an audio track?

It has to be the exact same file.. right? Auditioning is one of the reasons it's included with the midi!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I tried this out, and see what's going on. I wonder if these loops were created with sends on them instead of just inserts, particularly for the massive reverb on these orchestra loops. Isn't it true that send effects aren't included when a green loop is made?

• 9 months later...

This is what I've found in the manual:

f you create a SIAL from a region on a software instrument track that uses sends to bus effects, and then drag the saved loop to another (empty) instrument track, the new loop will sound different to the original source region. This happens because the effects sends in the original track are not saved with the loop.

Logic Pro does not automatically assign effects to busses, because doing so would potentially interfere with bus configurations that you’ve already set up in your project.

Effects that are inserted directly into the software instrument channel will, however, be automatically recalled when the loop is dragged into the Arrange area from the Loop Browser.

You can use one of the following options to ensure that loops created from software instrument regions will sound the same as the original regions:

1- Drag your SIAL (the original of which was assigned to bus sends) to an audio track instead of an instrument track. When you create a software instrument loop, the udio file that is rendered will include any bus processing. This will sound identical to the original.

2- When creating a loop from a software instrument region, you should directly insert all effects needed to reproduce the desired sound into the instrument’s channel strip. This will allow all sound elements to be faithfully recreated when you add the loop to an instrument track.

3 - When using SIALs on an unassigned channel strip, manually set up the sends and bus effects needed to reproduce the sound of the original region.

I'm not sure to understand the second option. Seems to be the same as the third for me. Anybody have a clue on this?

• 6 years later...

I am having the same problem. This thread has clarified my problem, although I haven't solved it yet! I am thinking the way to do it is to recreate the sends myself, trying to guess what they were in the original loop that I like so much.

As far as #2 above, my interpretation is that if YOU are the one creating a loop, rather than using a loop created by Logic, then don't make the same mistake--put your effects directly on the channel strip instead of putting them on with a send.