Using Ultrabeat to do vocal stutter.

davidgary73

• 4 weeks later...

hi not to be a noob here but how dose this setup work as a gate or shutter? I am looking for the same effect from ub. Shold I be sending the vocal to a bus or loading in in UBV if I load it in UVB there must be a way so to set the sample to trigger instead of latch

cheers

ANother way to get interesting stutter effects in UB is to load your vocal sample into the sample box in the bottom oscillator, move the Min bar to the start of the sample and the Max bar somehere in the middle, then create a sequence that gives you the rhythm you want. Now adjust the velocities of the triggers (manually or try some randomizing the pattern for fun). This lets UB set the sample start point based on the velocity of the trigger where the lowest velocity will start the sample at the beginning, the highest velocity will start the sample wherever you set the max bar, and in between velocities will start the sample ....that's right...in between the two bars. You can also play with the positioning of the bars to find what works best. Combine this with envelopes and there is a lot of potential for coolness. For a plain jane stutter effect, just set the mix and max bar to the start of the sample, use the sequencer to trigger 16th or 32nd notes (You'll usually want the trigger mode in the UB output section to be "Single" so that each trigger cuts off the previous one but you can play around with it for cool effects.) And don't forget to adjust the decay in Env 4 so that the vocal sample plays out fully on the last trigger. Have fun!

thats a good tip mate got one more question here. Is it poss to gate via midi controller like keyboard so when I hit note on a predetermined volume is turned on for as long as I hold note on. And when I send note of it will turn vol off. Thanks

There is a plugin from DestroyFX, that does exactly this: MIDI Gater.

http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/audiounits.html#midigater

You can also have similar behaviour with Logic-only plugs: a gate with sidechain input from e.g. a sine-wave EXS24. Note on / Note off on this EXS24 define the gating.

thats a good tip mate got one more question here. Is it poss to gate via midi controller like keyboard so when I hit note on a predetermined volume is turned on for as long as I hold note on. And when I send note of it will turn vol off. Thanks

I don't believe UB will let you do that, but you can use EXS24 and a gate with a sidechain input. I believe it would work opposite to how you have it. That is, when you send a note on, it will silence your main sample.

I don't believe UB will let you do that, but you can use EXS24 and a gate with a sidechain input. I believe it would work opposite to how you have it. That is, when you send a note on, it will silence your main sample.

Actually UB will let you do that too. Use the sidechain (top oscillator) for one of the UB sounds, and play that note on your MIDI keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a plugin from DestroyFX, that does exactly this: MIDI Gater.

http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/audiounits.html#midigater

You can also have similar behaviour with Logic-only plugs: a gate with sidechain input from e.g. a sine-wave EXS24. Note on / Note off on this EXS24 define the gating.

thanks downloaded the plug in but I cant seem to send midi data to the gate. Should i be making a track just for the midi gate?

• 3 months later...

I've used RolandFan's tip - loading an audio sample into UB's sample box - but I can't stop UB from playing out the rest of the rather long audio sample, though I've messed around with env4. Any ideas?

It is a recording of my friend singing - totally taken out of it's original context - and now pitched down to a dubstep-ish bassline, which should not play out.

I've used RolandFan's tip - loading an audio sample into UB's sample box - but I can't stop UB from playing out the rest of the rather long audio sample, though I've messed around with env4. Any ideas?

It is a recording of my friend singing - totally taken out of it's original context - and now pitched down to a dubstep-ish bassline, which should not play out.

Loading a sample in UB's sample box won't let you do any gating.

Read this:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=30250

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I'm twisting my head around a trigger-gate action I'm trying to achieve=

trigger a sample with one key and holding the sample(so no 1shot)(in this case a vocal from a track loaded in a sampler, be it

EXS24, Ultrabeat or Kontakt 3) and with my right hand pressing a key on the keyboard where there's no sample assigned, but making it gate in and out the

sample that's being triggered with my left hand.

So a manual stutter.

Also interested in a similar action, only this time the sample plays from an audio

track ie not triggered (must be easier to achieve, tried with ultrabeat, but could make the gate work only sequenced, so not triggered by me)

I was able with ultrabeat to play a vocal audio file in the arrangement, and then

with ultrabeats sequencer and sidechain to make the sound go on and off, but

can't find how to trigger this gate myself with a key on the midikeyboard.

With EXS24 I couldn't find anything and with Kontakt3 I found a way(with script editor---unisono:portamento) to cut the sound but then the sample retriggers from the start.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas & methods you guys could have for this

Thanks a lot

Saxophonick

Hi everybody,

I'm twisting my head around a trigger-gate action I'm trying to achieve=

trigger a sample with one key and holding the sample(so no 1shot)(in this case a vocal from a track loaded in a sampler, be it

EXS24, Ultrabeat or Kontakt 3) and with my right hand pressing a key on the keyboard where there's no sample assigned, but making it gate in and out the

sample that's being triggered with my left hand.

So a manual stutter.

Also interested in a similar action, only this time the sample plays from an audio

track ie not triggered (must be easier to achieve, tried with ultrabeat, but could make the gate work only sequenced, so not triggered by me)

I was able with ultrabeat to play a vocal audio file in the arrangement, and then

with ultrabeats sequencer and sidechain to make the sound go on and off, but

can't find how to trigger this gate myself with a key on the midikeyboard.

With EXS24 I couldn't find anything and with Kontakt3 I found a way(with script editor---unisono:portamento) to cut the sound but then the sample retriggers from the start.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas & methods you guys could have for this

Thanks a lot

Saxophonick

The short answer is you cant do it. It is something quite easy to do in Pro Tools with Structure but Logic does not feature this type of keyswitching.