Creating a white noise/ice cannon type effect

This is a little hard to explain without having a sample of the sound i want to create. I'm looking to create the psssssssssssshhhhhhhhh white noise/ice cannon type sound once a track kicks back in. It can be heard on alot of techno/house tracks of late.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance :)

Attached is a real basic whoosh for ES2.

Control the starting 'tone' with cutoff (top one) and the rate of rise with ENV2 attack.

You'll have to let go of the key to make it cut off where you want it to.

I don't know how good this sounds because my monitor system is down and I had to make this using my crappy little computer speaker. But it should get you in the ball park.

You might also want to use some Channel EQ to roll off the bottom (low cut, first band) to tailor the low end in case it's too thick-sounding.

Basic Whoosh.pst

Attached is a real basic whoosh for ES2.

Control the starting 'tone' with cutoff (top one) and the rate of rise with ENV2 attack.

You'll have to let go of the key to make it cut off where you want it to.

I don't know how good this sounds because my monitor system is down and I had to make this using my crappy little computer speaker. But it should get you in the ball park.

You might also want to use some Channel EQ to roll off the bottom (low cut, first band) to tailor the low end in case it's too thick-sounding.

Hey...dumb question here....where do we put this file to have it show up in the library?

Thanks

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also use the ES P. Put the five waveform sliders all the way down, put the noise near the top, or top if you want maximum noise. Make sure the Attack is near the top and you can fiddle with the Decay, Sustain and Release. Also, you'll want to turn automation on when you record it, but try moving the frequency just a little bit as you're playing the sound back... assuming you're using midi to create the swoosh.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/beatcreep_logic/es-p_wobble-bass.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...