Kontakt 3 --> Logic 8

artmusicsouth

O.K., I am having some problems here and I can't get them resolved.

I am working on an orchestral score I wrote in Sibelius. I exported that as a MIDI file.

In Logic I created 2 Multi-Timbral Instruments (18 tracks.) I opened the MIDI files and dumped them on the 18 tracks. I then selected track 1 and opened Kontakt 3. In this instance I opened instruments (flute - Viola) for the 16 tracks in the multi. I then did the same for the remaining instruments in the second multi. On Each track I then assigned it thusly: e.g. Flute - select pull down --> I Kontakt 3 --> 001. Clarinet - select pull down menu --> I Kontakt 3 --> 002 and so on.

Two things have happened: 1) in one attempt I get MIDI files playing on the wrong instruments. 2) I get no sound out of the first multi.

Where am I going wrong here? I am trying to avoid having load and instance of Kontakt on every track.

Thanks.

Two things have happened: 1) in one attempt I get MIDI files playing on the wrong instruments. 2) I get no sound out of the first multi.

It sounds like the MIDI channel on each instrument within the Kontakt multi doesn't match the channels for their respective tracks. When you create a multitimbral track set in Logic, each one is assigned a consecutive channel. When you create a new multi in Kontakt, you have to manually assign the next instrument to the next channel number. Like this:

Quartetchannels.jpg.711f77149f068e57559e886d85c42ff2.jpg

MIDI channel 1 in Kontakt should be connected to 001 in the drop down menu, correct?

I can't imagine what dropdown you're referring to. If you like, you can upload a zip of just the .logic project file here and I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Hi art,

This looks fine. Just a few things. you have both instrument channels panned right a good bit. You should leave them centered and pan the individual instruments within Kontakt instead.

I had no trouble creating two instruments in each Kontakt instance and having them play properly with your tracks, so there's nothing wrong with your setup here.

I think the 001 you're referring to is the automation dropdown menu for the track. This has nothing to do with the MIDI channel of the track which is set in the Inspector. So create 2 instruments, flute and clarinet, in the Kontakt instance on Inst 19 and set their MIDI channels to 1 & 2 respectively and you're good to go.

If you do want to automate any function of a Kontakt instrument, such as volume or pan, you'll need to make automation assignments within Kontakt itself. Refer to the docs, it's a very simple drag & drop procedure.

Thanks fader8. So I don't need to worry about the drop down menu UNLESS I want to automate something, not MIDI assignment. As long as I assign Flute to channel 1, clarinet to 2, etc then I am o.k. No need to do anything in Logic?

When I import the MIDI file, should I just drag and drop the file to the tracks that have already been set-up as a multi? Or do I import the midi file, create the multi and align the tracks that way?

As long as I assign Flute to channel 1, clarinet to 2, etc then I am o.k. No need to do anything in Logic?

In Logic, you need to be sure that all the tracks that point to the same Inst channel strip have the correct MIDI channel assigned to them in the Inspector.

When I import the MIDI file, should I just drag and drop the file to the tracks that have already been set-up as a multi? Or do I import the midi file, create the multi and align the tracks that way?

That's your choice. Keep in mind if you "import" a MIDI file, it adopts the tempo of your project. If you want to preserve the tempo of the original MIDI file in your project, use the "Open" command in the file menu to start a new project with that MIDI file.

I'll give it a go later today.

Great. Make sure you're comfortable with this part of it before moving on to other stuff. Logic and Kontakt are really great together, but trying to learn both at the same time can be a bit of a steep climb.

Just a possibility...

No guarantees. :oops:

I'm thinkin we should add this to our sig lines, eh Cloggy?

thanks for all your help. I am in business. But I am now having another issue. My CPU meter is maxed out and Logic is stuttering and doing all kinds of weird stuff. How do I get past this issue?

art,

Start a new thread about this and be sure to include all your system specs. Glad your up and running with Logic and Kontakt.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Im just getting into playing around with the Kontakt multi timbral setup. I have been reading lots about it and came across these posts here on LPH.com

I got the template of one of the posts from this site and copied it into my own logic session and configured. I have setup all the AUX channels in logic and the various stereo outputs in kontakt and everything seems to be ok.

However, the only way i can get sound is if i set the Midi channel on each instrument within Kontakt to Oni (rather than [A] 1 and [A] 2 etc

Would someone be kind enough to explain what oni is and what problems i will encounter.