Automation - Trimming a " Selection "

embrionic

Is there a way in Logic to trim automation simultaneously at both ends of a selection within a region, or an entire region? For example, in pro tools, if you select an area of a region (in volume automation view ) and then mouse to just above the volume line, you get a trimmer tool - looks like a horizontal "]".

Clicking and dragging up or down automatically places nodes at the boundaries of the selected region and allows you to drag the entire section up or down. Anything like it in Logic?

Thanks.

Something like it:

By shift + alt rubberbanding your region (in automation mode) Logic creates nodes to that area. Do it twise and then move the cursor just below the line or to the line you wan't to alter. Click-hold and drag. That should change only the selected line.

I

That works great for creating two nodes at once on the volume automation line. But you can also do four at once by using shift-control-option at the same time and rubberbanding the whole area where you want to move the volume up or down. You end up with two nodes together at each end of the line in the area you selected. Now, while the nodes are still highlighted, you can position the pointer anywhere in between and drag the horizontal line up and down. After you've deselected those nodes you will have to actually get the pointer right on the line to move it.

But you can also do four at once by using shift-control-option at the same time and rubberbanding the whole area where you want to move the volume up or down. You end up with two nodes together at each end of the line in the area you selected. Now, while the nodes are still highlighted, you can position the pointer anywhere in between and drag the horizontal line up and down.

There is always something new to learn. Great tip!

Thanks, I

Camillo jr and I

Thanks for the cool tips, this is just what I needed. However, Camillo, it seems your tip adds two nodes automatically (cool) at the start point but only one node at the end point, thus creating a ramp between the end of the change and the next node.

Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks.

embrionic, which version of Logic are you using? In some pre-L7.1.1 versions this had a bit of a bug.... after you made the nodes you had to click either somewhere inside the region once or outside of it (I think it was the second one, not sure) and then you could grab the line and it would work properly. I remember encountering the situation you're describing.

Basically, you have to deselect first, I think that was the deal.

But it works great in 7.1.1!