How to sync ProTools/192io and Logic/Digi002..

Maubrun

Hi Everyone..

Does anyone know where i could find information, tuts or links on how to synchronize :

- 1 x Logic Pro 8 (hosted by a PowerMac Bi) connected to a Digi002 interface

with

- 1 x ProTools 7.4 (hosted by a MacPro Intel with Sync I/O + Midi + 192 I/O)

I would like to create the music with the digital instruments, manage my midi devices (Rolland, Korg, etc) with Logic and recorde the audio result with the ProTools totaly synchronized.

Midi, Digital instruments in one hand with Logic and the audio parts (synths, guitares, perc, voices, etc) in the other hand with PT.

Thanks in advance

GMDF

(excuse my english... :oops: )

Edited by Maubrun

Hi Maubrun,

OK, first, try editing the title of your post. Most of the experienced members will disregard posts with "I'm Lost" or "I'm Desperate", etc. Try a title that relates to your question.

Second, try to be more specific about what you're having a problem achieving. What you are trying to do is complex, but not impossible. Even if there were an instant tutorial on how to do this, you still need a firm working knowledge of all the principles involved in order to maintain such a setup with any kind of reliability and usability. So it's difficult to respond to this kind of post when we don't know how much you already know.

Third, try using the search features of this site as this subject has been posted before. There are plenty of experienced Logic/Pro Tools users here.

Fourth, welcome to the forum!

Thanks Fader8 for your help.

You know, my english is not good enough to be very specific but i can try.

It's all about a synchro problem. I don't know how to begin.

To sync ProTools in one hand to Logic via a Digi002 interface in the other hand.

Do i have to connect the two devices (192 I/O and Digi002). Do i have to link the MTC output to the midi module..? How to use IAC Buses from one Mac to the second one. etc...

I just would like to get one first idea to try something.

For now, it's a blackout.. :cry:

Thank in advance.

GMDF

This is a video explaining Sync an how its achieved.. It is pretty advanced, but if you know the fundamentals of signal flow.. Its not really hard..

I think this dude is on the forum.. This helped me out big time. He explains the IAC Driver perfectly.. Something I was never shown and Im in school for this..

Good Luck!

Hey Maubrun,

You won't need IAC as that is for interapplication on the same Mac. You're syncing 2 separate Macs. Just MIDI cables will work fine.

You need to decide which machine is going to be the timecode master. This should also be your wordclock master as well.

How do you want this to operate? Press play in Logic and PT rolls? Vice-versa? Both? Record arming?

Are you sure you want this headache? You may find that it's much easier to host those audio tracks in Logic until you have your composition done. Then render your instrument tracks to audio and bring everything into PT to mix down. Many, including myself, have found this to be a much smoother workflow.

Are you sure you want this headache? You may find that it's much easier to host those audio tracks in Logic until you have your composition done. Then render your instrument tracks to audio and bring everything into PT to mix down. Many, including myself, have found this to be a much smoother workflow.

I agree. This sounds over complicated. If you already have audio recordings in PT, you can just consolidate them (or, even easier, mix them down to a stereo file) and import them to Logic as a guide. Do your work in Logic, export the results in a similar fashion, and then import them back to the existing PT session.

I do this regularly, it can be quite seamless when you get used to it.

Hi Faber8 :)

It was exactly the prob i was dealing with : how to check IAC Buses with 2 macs :roll:

But.. Wait a sec... If you're syncing with a Midi cable.. Where do you plug it in ?

For the Digi002 interface, i can find the Midi port.. but for the ProTools..? :oops:

The only midi plug in can find is on the Midi module, but that way it doesn't work..

I don't forget that i have to connect a master Keyboard too, from the Digi002 :roll: :roll:

So, if i can find out the sync solution, it would be for me more convenient than work with Logic, render to audio and so on, because, like you all, i record a lot of tracks.. So..

If you just can tell me where you would plug the Midi cable, it would be fine. :)

Best,

GMDF

192's don't have MIDI so you'd need a MIDI interface, I know MOTU MTP/AV's work ok with Protools, as should most MOTU MIDI interfaces as they use the same drivers. Or you could go Digidesign and get their MIDI interface.

Although I think you COULD do MIDI over ethernet if the computers are connected via a network cable. I'm just not sure how this works.

There is network MIDI built into OSX. The problem is that you have to set it up every time you restart one or both Macs. Pain in the neck. MIDIOverLan I hear is a nice product that is transparent in this regard, but for the price you could just get a simple MIDI interface.

Hi Davidpye,

Thanks and Sorry, but i didn't precise that i have already the Midi digidesign module.

I have to say that i've tried what Fader8 has suggested to me, with the cable.... And something was happening :) But i have to check out again tomorrow morning to make it works. It's late now :wink:

I'll certainly need your help because i don't know which parameters to punch on or off in Logic and in ProTools, to make them Master and Slave.

Thanks everyone.

Best,

GMDF

hello guys! this is my first post :) and i'm really glad i decided to join up. I have a bunch of questions i hope someone can help me with.

First of all i have two macs(intel) that i'm syncing via the ethernet network session. I have logic 8 as my MMC and i'm sending MTC to protools 7.4.2. Both are running leopard 10.5.4. I can get them both to run when i hit either space bar. I can record in protools but i cant record in Logic. So i would love some tips. I have been working at this now for 3 days and it is very frustrating. I have read the above suggestions of doing scratch audio in logic and final editing in PT. I think that is the easiest i've seen but i would really love to give this a whirl as i could have my cake and eat it too..I'm so close. I just need logic to record as well and then i'd have a pretty good work flow set up.

PS i have a presonus firebox on the logic mac and the m-audio 1814 on the other mac.

Sean, what you just did is called "hijacking a thread". Even though the topics are similar, your question is not the same as the original poster's question, and if some people answer you, others the original poster, the thread will soon be a mess.

To avoid that, I would suggest you start your own thread with your own question - thank you! :wink:

Also, please never ask for people to email you directly. That would totally defeat the purpose of having a forum!