Fattening vocal tracks ?

I'm kinda new here, and was looking for some threads discussing tips for fattening vocal tracks. For example, when I used to record on tape we would do things like put one effect on the left and another on the right, descretely of course, to get good stereo separation. I'm new to Logic, and frankly, I'm overwhelmed with all the options I now have.

Are there any specific threads on this forum (or elsewhere) someone could point me to for tips/suggestions on best practices for this kind of thing using Logic ?

Thanks!

The classic technique is to compress the audio channel, ideally using an outboard compressor before the signal comes into logic. Although this can also be achieved using Logics compressor plug-in (in dynamics) after the audio has been recorded.

I personally like to use the PSP 'Vintage Warmer' plug-in, and intentionally record at lower levels to boost the signal, without sounding like a spokesperson its pretty frickin sweet, and would 'fatten' the vocals as you describe.

Logic's compressor sounds really good, you can experiment with the various compressor models in the "Circuit Type" menu and see the corresponding compression curve in the little square display. Pay attention to the reaction speed of each model (look how fast the "Gain reduction" meter reacts). "FET" is really fast, and I like to use it on vocals. Add a channel EQ when needed. I usually put mine before the compressor, but you can also use one after the compressor, or a combination of both.... depending on the goals.

I also like to use the (free) A.U. Massey tape drive plug-in: http://www.smassey.com/au.html

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the De-esser plug-in in Logic so I use volume automation to tame sibilants.

Now to put a different effect on either side...never tried this on vocals, but:

On the vocal channel strip, click the first "send" slot and choose "Bus > Bus 1". An Aux (set to input = Bus 1) is created. Pan left, and insert the left effect. In the second "send" slot, choose "Bus > Bus 2". Another Aux (set to input = Bus 2) is created. Pan left, and insert the left effect. You may have to adjust your Aux 1 and Aux 2 levels to keep the vocal centered.

Thanks for the input.

David - about the compression curve that's displayed in the square box you mentioned, can you explain how I interpret that informaiton ? What is it telling me, and what is the goal ?

I'm not sure I'm using the compressor properly.

Any tutorials in this forum on using compressors with vocal tracks ?

Great forum. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the De-esser plug-in in Logic so I use volume automation to tame sibilants.

Hi David.

I wonder if you could explain this a little more. I have a few female vocal tracks which have some problems with sibilance and don't really care for the sound with the de-esser either. The vocal is the main point of the recording, so I'm happy to do whatever it takes, just not sure how the approach you mention would work.

Thanks.

David - about the compression curve that's displayed in the square box you mentioned, can you explain how I interpret that informaiton ? What is it telling me, and what is the goal

It's a simple one input/one output mathematical diagram. On the horizontal axis, the level of the input signal, on the vertical axis, the level of the output signal. Different models have different compression curves, but also different reaction speeds. If you're not mathematically inclined or if that doesn't "speak" to you, just use your ears.

Hi David.

I wonder if you could explain this a little more. I have a few female vocal tracks which have some problems with sibilance and don't really care for the sound with the de-esser either. The vocal is the main point of the recording, so I'm happy to do whatever it takes, just not sure how the approach you mention would work.

What I meant is simply use volume automation to lower the volume of the vocals whenever you hear too much sibilants. So just find the waveform bit that corresponds to the sibilant, and draw a little drop down in volume at that position.