Dancing legend myth?

sureno

please some one clear this up for me, iv seen it done a number of times in various places but this dirty vegas video just confirms it. is there a legend that people dance to bring loved ones back and could some one please tell me where it stems from?

many thanks :D

is there a legend that people dance to bring loved ones back and could some one please tell me where it stems from?

Hardly a legend. Celts, Native Americans, Pagans, Druids, Incas, you name the culture and/or religion and you'll find a tradition of dance. Among that there will always be one or more that represents searching for lost love in some way.

is there a legend that people dance to bring loved ones back and could some one please tell me where it stems from?

Hardly a legend. Celts, Native Americans, Pagans, Druids, Incas, you name the culture and/or religion and you'll find a tradition of dance. Among that there will always be one or more that represents searching for lost love in some way.

so there is no one specific root to this?

You'd be hard pressed to find one. There may be ancient stories from specific cultures that might provide some insight into the origins of dance and its particular social purposes. If you have access to a university library that specializes in socio-cultural anthropology, they may be able to help you. But you'd probably have to be more specific about the particular culture/region.

You'd be hard pressed to find one. There may be ancient stories from specific cultures that might provide some insight into the origins of dance and its particular social purposes. If you have access to a university library that specializes in socio-cultural anthropology, they may be able to help you. But you'd probably have to be more specific about the particular culture/region.

think it may be the Bronx? just a few things iv noticed through looking into it

think it may be the Bronx?

Well, certainly the type of dancing, (Break Dancing) in that video does indeed have its origins in the Bronx. The South Bronx, actually. If you research Afrika Bambaataa, you'll find he was a key figure in the origins of Hip Hop culture, of which Break Dancing is an integral part.

Zulu Nation, (a former street gang actually) was all about Break Dancing. One of the first "crews" that would tour around dancing were the Zulu Kings. I think Bambaataa organized all this stuff around 1970. I went to the Roxy once around 82 or 83. That club was a mecca for this. Pretty amazing stuff.

But Break as a dance form has its roots in some West African acrobatic dance style that I can't remember the name of. Mix that with the colliding cultural melting pot of the South Bronx, African American Ring Shout dances, Jamaican Toasting and the rise of Hip Hop culture and that's what you've got.

And yeah, plenty of lost loves in that crowd!