How'd they do that!?!?

calvin200001

Analyze this

I just thought it would be a neat idea for everyone if you have a song that you heard somewhere and you wanted to know how they did that...

this would be a great place to talk about it. I dont think we can but it would be nice to post the mp3s on the site to listen. (what do you think David?)

First song:

Song: Session

Artist: Linkin Park

Album: Matrix reloaded soundtrack

questions:

How did they make those drums do that?

what are all if any effects that you hear there? Do you know how to reproduce that?

Please reply and post more songs like i am and lets fill this sticky up with comments!!

Ok, I have one...

It's about chorusing vocals. There's a particular sound that is on most of Pink Floyd and also Dire Straits which I don't think is an effects unit, yet the chorusing is sooo tight and equally has quite a particular sound. Maybe it's just lots and lots of takes all in absolute perfect timing with eachother. I imagine this takes a fair while, but I guess for albums like those they had the budget to spend a long time in the studio! You can hear it quite clearly - it has a very unique sound. Maybe it's the same take layered and jostled around by a few miliseconds, but again, it doesn't really sound like it to me. Anyway, probably it's a very simple answer, but if anyone has any ideas... It's something I would like to try, but can't quite get it.

Best, L

Well I know back in my tape days we used to have our 24 track reel going out to a 4 or 8 track which we'd use to layer tracks and then bounce back to the 24 to save space. So you could get a lot out of those limited tape tracks, and create some pretty cool effects. In logic layering tracks can do some pretty amazing things as well.

Interesting...

It might well be, with just very slight differences in position on the stereo field... Even still, it sounds like there are loads of them! I might try that actually... Having, like, 50 all panned just next to eachother and bounce it and reimport so it's only one stereo track.

Anyone else have any ideas? The more I think about it, the more I reckon this will probably be it!

Cheers dude, L

This is probably auto-tune related but I'm wondering what logic plugs could emulate it. It's on Prince's new album 3121 on the title song. He's more rapping than singing though there is a melody of srts, and so there's an effect on his vocal which you can here in the snippet I've attached. I'm thinking... well I've got a lot of ideas but what do you all think.

3121.aiff.zip

Just a vocal snip.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you tell me which instrument to use in order to make the drum sound in the song 'sandstorm'. Its the part where the song dropsdown and from where the sustained drums come in!!!???

Alan, you mean the big drum hits, the "explosions"?

They're done layering a touch compressed 909 bd (not that it matters really, but we used a real 909 back then), boosted a touch around 50-60Hz, dipped a little around 240Hz (the same kick & settings are used on the whole track) and a certain explosion from an old (obviously) sample cd + compressing them together again a touch (if my memory serves me right) and adding a touch of long reverb (in addition to the tail of the explosion). On some hits there is a 909 crash also.

My original (that the release is based on) I made with a PC, Fast Tracker 2, Cubase VST and a Korg TR-Rack.

The final track was made using two ASR-10 samplers, a Nord2 rack, a JP8080, a 909 and Mackie 24/8, Behringer compressor(s), DP4 efx unit and sequenced with Cubase on an Atari in my producer's (JS16) studio.

Man, you were single-handedly responsible for getting me into dance music. I'm just listening to feel the beat now, and it brings back such memories! Absolute legend! :P

That chorusing... I will try and post a snippet of it soon, sorry it took so long to get back. It's all over Pink Flloyd if anyone has any of their albums really, just very, very tight choruses. I guess it's possible that they recorded it like that. I imagine their budget was pretty high...

Josh, thank you, and no problem, I'm somewhat of a tech nerd, I like this fader-pushing and knob-tweaking (mostly virtual these days) as much as the next guy and I like talking about it, too. Trust me, this hobby and business of ours has a neverending learning curve, there's ALWAYS something to learn about, if today it's not the ever-developing software it's the music itself and tomorrow it's the other way around...

Just wanted to mention that a huge production credit is due to my producer Jaakko "JS16" Salovaara, with him the first officially released tracks of mine became alive, many found their final form because of his ideas and "golden touch" ;)

I still work with him, though these days we're *just a touch* more equal than back then when I was so new to the "real pro production world" (whatever that is).

Just a quick addition to the earlier post:

The way we did it the character of the "explosion" is of course determined mostly by the explo/boom sample used, so just audition all the bangs and booms you can get your hands on (and make your own, too, try a kick drum and looots of reverb). The (in this case) 909 kick drum just brings the solid low end to the effect. You might want to low cut some of the explosion rumble and add some nice long reverb separately so the hit is "tight" and with the explosion sample tail and some reverb you still hear it longer, but a little cleaner (vs. muffled and not-so-detailed). The timing of the attacks of the kick and the boom sample is pretty important also, they should land exactly at the same time, it'll be most effective like that. I don't know how standard or good this little piece of advice is but it's worked for me most of the time.