Logic: Sound To Picture

mb25976

Do you use Logic for sound-to-picture/post-production work?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Logic for sound-to-picture/post-production work?

• Yes; scoring to picture
    • Yes; sound design
    • Yes; voiceover recording and management
    • Yes; multiple post-production uses
    • No

Hi everyone,

I've been using Logic for doing post work for awhile now, and I've gotten my basic workflows down pretty well.

There are a few areas I'm a little hazy on though; is there a good source document for maximizing and exploiting all of Logic's post-production capabilities?

I'm looking for some in-depth discussion of using the tempo operations editor for tempo acceleration and deceleration, and how best to adapt these techniques to Logic's feature set.

Thanks in advance,

Mokolai

Fire Snake Studios

Orlando, FL

I'm looking for some in-depth discussion of using the tempo operations editor for tempo acceleration and deceleration, and how best to adapt these techniques to Logic's feature set.

I don't use the tempo operations window anymore, now that we have the global tracks. The Tempo, Marker and Beat Mapping tracks combined together should give you all the functionality you might need to create accelerandos and/or descelerandos in sync with your picture.

Martin Sitter "Logic for Video Editors" is quite good, like all the macprovideo.com titles, but it does NOT cover the topics you are looking for such as " in-depth discussion of using the tempo operations editor for tempo acceleration and deceleration". You should get it anyway, but it will not cover working with tempo changes to match compositions to video.

Good Luck.

Hi Moko,

No, I did not say that... I just said that if you wanted to learn to do it the way you suggested (tempo changes) that the training video (Martin Sitter's "Logic for Video Editing") does not cover that topic. Since I have that video I thought I would explain that it does not cover those topics. However, again, you should get the video anyway for all the other topics it covers. Excellent.

You can see the table of contents here and notice that what you asked for is not covered in that video, nor is David's method either.

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicVideoEds#toc

To sum up, BOTH ways will work in logic, NEITHER is covered in the macprovideo.com training video.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Hey Mokolai.

First learn to use the Global Tempo Track: Double click where you want to insert a tempo change, grab the segments to move the tempo changes in time, or to change the value of the tempos. Drag a node to create a tempo curve.

Then learn to use the Global Beat Mapping Track with markers. When you work with movies, place the SPL on the scene cut where you want a new cue, create a marker without rounding and beat map to that marker.

Each beat you map changes the tempo of the previously mapped beat. So always create little "buffer" tempo changes right before the actual tempo change you need to map.

If that's all chinese, learn to use those functions I describe, try to do what you want and come back here and ask questions on the particular step that's causing you a problem and I'll try to help.