Track & Audio Channelstrip Flow

fader8

Logic Pro 8.02 Audio Architecture

Note: The flow diagrams presented here do not specifically address some surround channel functions. As shown, the signal flow can represent mono or stereo signal paths.

Links to other diagrams:

Instrument Channelstrip Flow

Bus Channelstrip Flow

Auxiliary Channelstrip Flow

Input Channelstrip FlowOutput Channelstrip Flow

Thanks to David Nahmani, (David) and Peter Schwartz, (ski) for technical and editorial review.

1715243363_TrackChannelstrip_f8.thumb.jpg.96c20f03929c29cdf1c70ab190687fd5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm having problems and looking at your postings gives me half an answer.

Looking at the "track and audio channelstrip flow" diagram, I can see what's my problem - my "uneffected" guitar signal is being recorded directly to disc, and the effect is being added after this process (echo). For one reason or another the play back, especially if looped, looses synch, ie the echo drifts from the original recorded signal. The sound is not good.

If I look at another diagram input "channel strip flow" I can see that the input goes directly to a plugin, presumably, before it gets recorded to the disk, which is exactly what I need for this particular effect. There is a note that mention, The Environment may need to be configured to enable this set up, but, and my apologies, this is going to a level that is beyond me.

If you can give me some top tips, I would be extremely grateful.

Many Thanks

john

If I look at another diagram input "channel strip flow" I can see that the input goes directly to a plugin, presumably, before it gets recorded to the disk, which is exactly what I need for this particular effect. There is a note that mention, The Environment may need to be configured to enable this set up, but, and my apologies, this is going to a level that is beyond me.

Hi John,

Open the Environment from the Window menu. In the upper left drop down menu, be sure you're looking at the "Mixer" layer.

Drop down the "New" menu and select New->Channel Strip->Input. Change (if you need to) the input this new object is relating to in the Inspector: the one your guitar is plugged into. You can rename the channel strip there too. Close the Environment window.

In the Arrange, view the Mixer pane and choose ALL. You'll see your new channelstrip there. Insert your effect on that strip and the effected guitar will be recorded to disk.

I've been thinking about a higher level flow diagram that shows these kinds of relationships. As I get time . . .